Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Rookie needs advice about cracked pillar!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 03:54 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,738 Posts

Default Rookie needs advice about cracked pillar!

Please click on the shortcut below for a complete explanation and pics of the problem..........Please advise in my build thread so I can keep all the information together............

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1592259691

Thanks, doorgunner
Old 05-21-2016, 06:20 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

QUESTION:

Have you fitted your rear deck lid and see what your gaps are looking like???

It has been a long time since I got to your thread do to it kinda goes on a different path ...which is fine...but I forget to check on you.

From your photo ...you still need to check how panel are going to fit up. Because in your photo it looks like the rear lock pillar can be pushed out and close up the crack just like it is....so that is why the rear deck lid....which months ago you were dealing with...needs to be addressed..

ALSO...the number four body mount on that side can have a shim or two added to close up the gap...BUT...I then would have to check that the rear bumper brackets will work within their tolerances.

AS for repairing this crack...NOT a problem.....but before that is done (in my opinion) your NEED to check these things out first...or you may be sorry that you did not.

I am NOT saying that removing a shim at #3 body mount will not work or know if you actually did it or not....but removing shims in some cases is FINE...but sometimes if you do that you need to be aware of what it can effect if you take out too many to correct a problem.

DUB
Old 05-25-2016, 12:22 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,738 Posts

DUB has been kind enough to advise me about the problem in my original build thread in the GENERAL FORUM so I can keep all the information and repairs in order.

Thanks, doorgunner

Get notified of new replies

To Rookie needs advice about cracked pillar!

Quick Reply: Rookie needs advice about cracked pillar!