Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Street Damage While Parked

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 09:57 PM
john8msu
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Damage While Parked

I've been driving my car into Boston and parking it overnight on the street when staying at my girlfriend's place downtown. Not sure when it happened exactly, but assume it was bumped into there. No note or anything left.

Just curious, is this sort of thing worth getting fixed as an insurance claim? Or will it cause my policy to go up more than it's worth?

Welcome any advice from people who've been in a similar situation.

Thanks!

Last edited by john8msu; 08-04-2016 at 12:07 AM. Reason: removed old link
Old 06-14-2016, 09:35 AM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

I believe it would depend on your insurance contract. If it is considered a comprehensive claim, my carrier (AAA) would not increase my rates. I recommend you contact your agent. The hit and run stuff is rampant. It is a shame that your car was damaged. Most of us try to keep our Vettes looking brand new.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:15 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I can not reply on if your insurance will go up or not.

As for the damage it all depends on what you want to do.

The damage appears to be on the edge...so if it gets repaired it will effect the rear and side of the bumper....which basically means any good painter will prep it and blend it out and clear he entire bumper so not tell-tale line where the clear stops will ever show up.

I would also remove the bumper to the edge that touches the body can be also prepped so teh clear can be sprayed and wrap around this edge. This is really no big deal for me when i paint them due to having jig to hold these bumpers.

You can possibly get mobile service and let them do a touch up on it....which is why I mentioned...it depends on what you want to do and how you want it to look when repaired.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 06-14-2016 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:31 PM
Izzy Dizzy
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Default type of claim

Originally Posted by Dave Tracy
I believe it would depend on your insurance contract. If it is considered a comprehensive claim, my carrier (AAA) would not increase my rates. I recommend you contact your agent. The hit and run stuff is rampant. It is a shame that your car was damaged. Most of us try to keep our Vettes looking brand new.
"hit while parked" is covered under your COLLISION insurance not Comprehensive and is subject to your deductible. Comprehensive claims are fire, theft, vandalism and hitting a deer or other animal, tree branch falling on car etc. Even though the parking lot damage is not your fault, that's the way insurance coverage works. Sorry to bring the bad news. (I'm a retired insurance adjuster)

Last edited by Izzy Dizzy; 08-17-2016 at 06:32 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-18-2016, 06:22 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzy Dizzy
"hit while parked" is covered under your COLLISION insurance not Comprehensive and is subject to your deductible. Comprehensive claims are fire, theft, vandalism and hitting a deer or other animal, tree branch falling on car etc. Even though the parking lot damage is not your fault, that's the way insurance coverage works. Sorry to bring the bad news. (I'm a retired insurance adjuster)
Good to know ... But not every car is covered with a COLLISION portion on the policy. The insurance policies here in NC ...you can just get COMPREHENSIVE and still meet the requirements of having insurance on your car and get your tag. Not every car here has collision on it.

Just 'saying'. and with the OP not gettign back to this post and providing any more info..it kinda died......and I have learned that using an avatar of someones post does not mean that is the car they drive or are referring to....it kinda died.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 08-18-2016 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:03 PM
Izzy Dizzy
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Coverage

Originally Posted by DUB
Good to know ... But not every car is covered with a COLLISION portion on the policy. The insurance policies here in NC ...you can just get COMPREHENSIVE and still meet the requirements of having insurance on your car and get your tag. Not every car here has collision on it.

Just 'saying'. and with the OP not gettign back to this post and providing any more info..it kinda died......and I have learned that using an avatar of someones post does not mean that is the car they drive or are referring to....it kinda died.

DUB
Well that goes without saying--no coverage/no claim!

Get notified of new replies

To Street Damage While Parked

Quick Reply: Street Damage While Parked