Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Paint Rejuvination

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 05:44 PM
bellaireroad
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Paint Rejuvination

Hello, this is slightly off topic, but it is Chevrolet related. I have an old Chevrolet parts cabinet from a dealership that dates to the 1920s. It is painted in olive drab crinkle coat. I started cleaning it up with dawn and gentle brushing and rinsing. When the paint is wet with water, it becomes a beautiful dark green, but fades out when the water dries. Is there a product that can be applied that will keep it looking wet? I dont want to repaint it, would like to preserve the original paint, or sand it because of the crinkle coat. thanks

Old 06-27-2016, 05:52 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I would try using an oil....linseed oil, mineral oil, vegetable oil....and try a small spot and see what happens.

Knowing you are not going to paint it...that is what I would do.

Applying a car polish or wax...I feel MAY do the same thing...but knowing that paints have an oil base to them....applying an oil may help fortify the paint and keep it looking good.

I could handle having 20+ of those against the wall... all lined up. A ultra cool cabinet to have. I envy you. 'Old school' cool.

DUB
Old 06-29-2016, 07:42 PM
bellaireroad
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I gave the wax a try on one corner but it did not change it much. I took your idea of the oil and used some lemon pledge and it worked great !
Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Paint Rejuvination

Quick Reply: Paint Rejuvination