Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

68 Coupe Firewall Removal and Repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 04:13 PM
East Bay 68
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 68 Coupe Firewall Removal and Repair

Hey all, I have a thread going in the general section about my 68 project restoration, but wanted to start a separate thread here about the body, specifically about removing and repairing the firewall which is my first foray into body work. A quick recap, I picked up a 68 L-68 coupe almost two years ago. It had been sitting for some 35 years and is pretty rough. I pulled the body and put it on a dolly, and stripped the frame. I am waiting on getting the frame media blasted so have some time to work on the body.

The front clip had been removed due to accident damage many years ago, so the firewall has been exposed for a long time. It has various cracks and damage as you will see in the pictures but my main reason for pulling it off is that is dis-bonded from the bird cage (at least along the top), and I am worried the bird cage has some rust damage. It has always been a California car and the frame is in good shape, and from what I can see of the birdcage it looks good ( I had no trouble getting the body mount bolts out for instance) but since it is already kind of separated and it needs repair and paint I decided to remove it. this is a all-in long term restoration so I don't want to worry about what might be in there.

It is a non-AC, non-power steering, power brake car. I have the AIM and it has been very helpful. I read up on similar threads. I have a heat gun and a IR laser thermometer, various scrapers, etc. Most of the rivets along the top of the firewall are broken. I can feel the rivets that go into the hinge pillar so those are still holding and need to be drilled out. To get access to the rivet that goes into the top of the hinge pillar I removed the upper left "cowl top bonding strip" (GM 3938081/2, note the 3 rivets that held it to the lower bird cage corner were broken) which went OK but I did pull some FB fibers out of the panel below. This makes me think maybe I did not get it hot enough? And my second question is how do I get to the rivets down by the plenum outlet? (two arrows). I assume I have to remove the plenum outlet piece but wanted to ask in case I am missing something. Thanks guys! Chris
Attached Images          
Old 07-09-2016, 05:02 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by East Bay 68
I removed the upper left "cowl top bonding strip" (GM 3938081/2, note the 3 rivets that held it to the lower bird cage corner were broken) which went OK but I did pull some FB fibers out of the panel below. This makes me think maybe I did not get it hot enough?

YES...the panel was not hot enough if it did not release like the other areas you have done that did not pull fibers.

And my second question is how do I get to the rivets down by the plenum outlet? (two arrows). I assume I have to remove the plenum outlet piece but wanted to ask in case I am missing something. Thanks guys! Chris

Chris...YES...you answered you own question. you seem to be on top if things and quite sharp and able bodied. It is always good to ask...but you seem to have it figured out so far.
Hope all goes well.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
East Bay 68 (07-09-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 07:32 PM
East Bay 68
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
Hope all goes well.

DUB
DUB, thanks for quick reply and kind words. I will start fresh tomorrow with more heat and work on the plenum outlet pieces. Chris
Old 07-10-2016, 05:30 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Chris,
As you may have found out by now.."Slow and easy wins the race"...in this type of work.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To 68 Coupe Firewall Removal and Repair

Quick Reply: 68 Coupe Firewall Removal and Repair