Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

'64 Corner Mouldings Question - I'm Stuffed If I Know...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 09:09 PM
Bud2
Bud2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default '64 Corner Mouldings Question - I'm Stuffed If I Know...

G'day Lads,

Doing a trial fit of the windshield and mouldings before paint. All seems to be going reasonably well but then we came to the top corner mouldings. When I took the corner mouldings off some 2 years ago, I remember that they were held in place by the black sealant. They weren't 'clipped' on. There are even two little pimples showing on each side of each moulding from the clips being pushed flat onto the back surface.

The retainers are well recessed while the clips are well flattened against the mouldings - that's not gonna work. But I don't know how they went together. Can't find any photos or diagrams to help. Can't find any information on these corner mouldings.

Does anyone have photos of the back of their corners so I can get an idea of how they should look? Or any help at all would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Bud.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:06 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Bud,
I am assuming that you are working on a coupe....and I am assuming you are referring to the front windshield.

Those corner moldings are held in with a special clip that gets screws to the frame.

I do exactly what you are doing when I restore/re-paint mid-years. I make sure I get the clips and molding to work so when it is painted I have no worries that it will go back together.

I do not have any good photos of this area....but once you see the clip and get it installed you will see what is going on with it and how it works.

I might add...only because I just completed a job re-sealing the front windshield of a 1967 coupe. You will want to make sure you have the good sealant so when you are installing the rubber gasket and windshield...you can pump this sealant in where it needs to go so you do not get water leaks.

I use a product that is not int the mainstream...but it works WAY better than the 3M 'bedding and glazing compound'....which has proven to fail in time.

DUB
Old 08-03-2016, 09:05 PM
Bud2
Bud2
Support Corvetteforum!

G'day Dub, Nice to talk to you again. Yep, your assumptions are correct. So the retainers are screwed onto the frame. Check. But there is a long way to reach with the corner mouldings in their present form.

If you think of the top moulding strip - It has a cross section in the shape of a 'T'. With a curved lip on the bottom. This lip engages with the clips screwed into the frame. Does the corner section clip on the same way? If so then the curved lip has been severely bent flat. I wish I could get a photo of it and post. But the car is not near me at the moment.

I've got here in my notes CRL 7708 and 1716 as your recommendations for a sealant.

Thanks again for your sharing.

Bud.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:24 AM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

This is a photo of the clip that goes in the upper corners of the front windshield. It is held on by 2 screws that are, in my case, larger in diameter than the ones securing the smaller clips. Hope this helps out.
Dave
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2016, 05:21 PM
DUB
Race Director

Yes the outer corners clip basically like the rest of the molding. The only difference is that the corners have a long section to reach down and contact the clip that Dave posted.

Once you get the clips installed...everything will make sense. And IF your corner molding and the lips at the bottom of the molding where it clips on to the clip...then they will need to be repaired so they catch.

NOTHING is worse than having the windshield in and all gooped up and ONE molding clip will not catch and hold....or a clip breaks.

DUB
Old 08-05-2016, 10:45 PM
Bud2
Bud2
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for all the info. Makes the job easier.

Bud
Old 08-06-2016, 09:55 PM
Gary D. Jaynes
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

So what brand of bedding and glazing compound do you use?
Old 08-07-2016, 05:14 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gary D. Jaynes
So what brand of bedding and glazing compound do you use?
Read this thread completely....it is written in it.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To '64 Corner Mouldings Question - I'm Stuffed If I Know...

Quick Reply: '64 Corner Mouldings Question - I'm Stuffed If I Know...