Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Slicksand polyester primer finally on the '69

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 11:33 AM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Slicksand polyester primer finally on the '69

Applied it over my blocked GelCoat. 3 coats excluding the 1/2 quart that started to go off in the gun. I started mixing just a half qt which is a full cup in my 2.3 Vaper gun. That went so good that after cleaning the gun, I went to mixing a full quart. Again, no problem so after gun cleaning l mixed up another quart. Went good for the first cup, then I added the other mixed half quart. Starting having a problem with getting primer out of the gun? Tried an air/flow adjustment and wasn't getting anywhere. Took the lid off the cup and saw it was starting to gel up! Holy crap I said (ok, maybe a slight variation). Caught it in time and continued on my way. It was a LONG DAY. Too much work for an old man.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:26 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

YEP...the problem...especially in the summer months...is that large volumes of this type of primer will 'kick-off' quicker when a large amounts are just sitting in a bucket waiting on flash times.

I am GLAD you caught it. And for what it is worth...I ahve experienced this issue ONCE...from then I have learned how to keep my batches separate and blend them right at the time of putting it in the gun and spraying it.

Other than your 'primer drama'...your car is getting closer....looks good and I KNOW you are happy to get it to this point.

DUB
Old 08-22-2016, 07:27 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks Dub, yeah I'm glad I'm done spraying the Gelcoat and Slicksand. Not sure which is worst but back me into a corner and I'd probably say Gelcoat.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:05 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by TWINRAY
Thanks Dub, yeah I'm glad I'm done spraying the Gelcoat and Slicksand. Not sure which is worst but back me into a corner and I'd probably say Gelcoat.
Which is why many people choose to NOT use it. I myself...have no problems with applying a product on a customers car that I know provides great benefits....or at least in my opinion it does.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Slicksand polyester primer finally on the '69

Quick Reply: Slicksand polyester primer finally on the '69