Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

What color primer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 03:30 PM
jotto
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default What color primer?

OK so not for my Vette but it is a GM color.
My wife is having her car painted in the 2014 GM color WA133X which I believe was a special edition color used on the Camaro and the Sonic.

I've seen a YouTube video of this color being sprayed over a black primer. My painter was going to paint over a standard grey primer.

Thoughts? The paint supplier did say coverage wouldn't be great due to the nature of the paint so I'm now wondering if a black Base would make it pop more.

Appreciate any insight.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

OK....I am not at work where I can pull up this color and see what toners/pigments are used and see if this color is a hard hiding or covering color due to its translucence.

The paint manufacturer will often specify which grade of gray sealer should be used.

I would 'say' this. And I have done this more times I can count. I take one of my 'spray out cards'...which is black and white checkered card that I can paint on. I paint it with the paint and get it to completely cover the black and white checkers so I can not see them any longer. This allows me to know how many coats it takes to cover black and white and get to full hiding Then I clear it.

Then I will take a spry out card and apply the gray sealer...and paint it. Some times I will have several spray put cards in the booth so I can paint one card with 3 coats of base color and stop...then the next one with four coats and stop...and so on. Then I clearcoat all of them

Knowing that my very first spray out card that I painted on the black and white checkers was to FULL COLOR....I see which spray out card matches it so I know how many coats it will take to achieve FULL HIDING. The I have the owner verify the color is what they want and then paint the car.

DUB

Quick Reply: What color primer?