Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Help with whole headlamp assy adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 09:09 PM
KARSC5
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Help with whole headlamp assy adjustment

I have a 2008 Z06. Did a search on this and all I got was how to remove the whole assembly or aim the bulbs. What I’m looking to do is adjust the whole headlamp assembly in the opening of the fender and the front bumper/cover to fit correctly in the opening. I’m aware of the 3 adjusting posts on the back of the assembly but I’m looking for guidance on the procedure. I must be a dumb azz because I can’t get it right in the opening.
My passenger side was backed into and I had the fender & front bumper replaced. The body shop did not remove the lights. The driver’s side is OK but passenger side is not. After two tries the shop did not get it to my satisfaction. I believe I adjusted the posts too much. Is there a correct process such as adjust all three all the way in then adjust in a particular order, do I loosen the fender and bumper cover assembly? etc

Last edited by KARSC5; 11-22-2016 at 09:20 PM. Reason: needed generation
Old 11-23-2016, 05:35 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Need photos. Good photos and please do not get so close I can not see what your problem is....so a few feet back should do.

Also a photo of the damage before it was fixed would also help.

The reason is the apron that is bonded on your frame is what sets your fender to hood gap and other parts...such as your headlight.

Ff the body shop did not pick up on a break in the SMC of the apron where the headlight is mounted...THIS can be your problem. If all is correct...the headlight goes in and fits nicety to the fender and bumper.

If the hood was not damaged (or removed)....I seriously doubt that removing the fender and bumper is going to fix this even without me seeing photos. because the hoods is going to somewhat dictate the way the fender fits.

Hard to say any more without seeing what was wrong from the accident to what you have now.

DUB
Old 11-23-2016, 10:31 PM
KARSC5
Drifting

Thanks for the reply DUB..Fender damage
Attached Images       
Old 11-23-2016, 10:34 PM
KARSC5
Drifting

Bumper damage
Attached Images        
Old 11-23-2016, 10:51 PM
KARSC5
Drifting

lamp assy after body shop repair. I'm pretty sure the hood was not removed. Pretty sure Since I was trying to adjust the assy, it no longer looks like this. I have it at a point now where I can move the whole assy up down and around now in the opening.
Attached Images        
Old 11-24-2016, 05:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

Thanks for the photos.

I am not like the gap between the fender and bumper in the last photo in POST#5. That gap...when closed up...CAN change things quite a lot.

Use the other side as a comparison.

If you get in there to correct this gap at the fender and bumper.....you may notice that the other side should look like the FIRST photo in POST#4....where the end of the bumper cover stop and is prefect to the fender. I pay a lot of attention to this area when I am working on one.

DUB
Old 11-24-2016, 06:17 PM
KARSC5
Drifting

OK back at it this weekend. Thanks DUB
Old 11-25-2016, 09:36 PM
KARSC5
Drifting

DUB..I’m not a body man what so ever. Looking for some guidance. By loosening the screws on the top of the fender and across the front of the front cover and the screws on the bottom of the cover and the nuts where the fender and cover meet, will this be enough to close that gap? I also have the plastic fender well removed so I can get at the headlight assy from the rear. Thanks in advance
Old 11-26-2016, 04:53 PM
DUB
Race Director

I replied to you PM. You took way too much apart to close that gap I mentioned.

Put your fender back...set your headlight....then the bumper....done.

DUB
Old 11-28-2016, 07:14 PM
KARSC5
Drifting

Have not had a chance to get back at it yet...I will keep you updated once I get to it. Thanks again.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with whole headlamp assy adjustment

Quick Reply: Help with whole headlamp assy adjustment