Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

My return to a 90 ZR-1 with factory paint failure. Stripper or sand

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 11:35 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Default My return to a 90 ZR-1 with factory paint failure. Stripper or sand

I bought this car in 2005 and after some work I used it for a daily driver for over 5 years.

Its a Long story but I'm working on the doors at the moment and I've turned to the inner door jambs.

When I started the work I stripped the entire body, hood and the outer door skins of the pealing pain't and sanded the rest of it off, then repairs, primed, blocked and now I have them all in primer awaiting final blocking, I have let it sit long enough (over a year) for shrinkage and to test my repairs on some areas of SMC mainly the hood that Dub and I discussed some time ago, I wanted to test what I did to the body with time and check if any of the repairs decided to fail and lift or pop, everything looks good so it's time to move fwd and get this done.

What this post is about

I just finished removing all the peeling paint on the inner jams of the doors (that would come off) with masking tape as I wanted to see if I could pull off the door stickers and to just remove all the paint and Id rather not use razor blades on this because it's a damn pain in a!

Now I'm trying to decide what to do with the paint that is left on the doors that wouldn't peel away.

I was going to just sand the rest of it off and prepare for primer on the inner jams, I was thinking of trying some strippers for fiberglass and see how I like me for future work but not sure yet

The pics show what paint will not peel off the doors and the area where the door stickers were located and the stickers after I pulled me off.

Because this is the inner jamb and it's not really painted well to begin with

Sand or strip?

Or scuff and squirt?

Thanks

Johnny.

Last edited by phrogs; 03-03-2022 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:10 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

For what it is worth:

I will try a very small spot with my Aircraft paint stripper from Klean Strip. I am not worried if is it for fiberglass or not due to I know what I am doing with it and it really does not matter if you are watching and keeping an eye on it while it is stripping. Which is why I test a small spot so I know how long it takes.

In some cases...this new age paint does not even want to lift off even with the strong Aircraft remover. This is due to the clear coat. So I sand the paint off.

IF you find that the chemical stripper does work. Just be careful and I would mask off all holes in the panel so the chemical stripper does NOT get inside your door. Then when it is done. I sand the paint off where the tape protected the holes.

I spend a lot of time in the inner door area making sure it is prepped very very well.. I am just as concerned with good adhesion there as I am in the center of the hood.

DUB

Quick Reply: My return to a 90 ZR-1 with factory paint failure. Stripper or sand