Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

87 Razor, Or sanding?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 06:59 PM
Kdeman1
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 87 Razor, Or sanding?

Hello, i have an 87 in dark red metallic! i am just curious what you guys think the best method to strip this guy down to the primer for a reprime/seal. and paint. it currently has 2 coats of paint on it, he didnt do the best job painting it before. Not a bad job, the trims all good but it has microcracking and alot of the clear coat is peeling. also It was rear ended, which was the Final straw!!!! its time to repaint, i have to remove the bumper to fix the quarter panel anyways. here is a video of the damage
Old 03-04-2017, 05:34 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

You might get lucky using a razor blade method...but I seriously doubt it will do anything to the factory paint.

You are going to have to either sand it off...or use chemical stripper on it and the chemical stripper will have to work really hard to get the factory paint off of it.

When I do the 1984-1996 I use everything I wrote above...razor blades where I can if I can and then chemical if that works well and if all else fails I have to sand it off.

You can do it as you wish but if it were in my shop...the front and rear bumpers have to come of an ALL of the body side molding have to come off also...then the antenna bezel and outside mirrors and outer door window seals....door handles, rocker panels, fenders and all related parts that attach to the front and rear bumpers...fuel door assembly....and OH YES...the rear hatch back glass comes out also and weatherstrip also. There are reasons why I do it this way...but you can do it as you see fit.

As for your video..I could barely watch it one time and with the camera moving around so much I was getting sea-sick and could not focus on what was going on...so...if you get into this...and need advice on whatever you were trying to show in the video...we can address that again. So no comment on what was on the video.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 03-04-2017 at 05:37 PM.

Quick Reply: 87 Razor, Or sanding?