Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

My first experience stripping

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 08:18 PM
c1nicole
Le Mans Master

Received 247 Likes on 117 Posts
Default My first experience stripping

Thank you to the many forum members that gave advice, especially DUB. Did a small area with chemical stripper, too messy, will still have to sand many of the curves, but this sure helps get many layers of paint off fast.

Last edited by c1nicole; 03-06-2017 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:33 PM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

get the area warm before you start . once you get the hang of it you can strip a door quick .

i actually heat the area then get it started so i can pull the paint off in big pieces.
Attached Images  

Last edited by porchdog; 03-06-2017 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:57 PM
c1nicole
Le Mans Master

Received 247 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by porchdog
get the area warm before you start . once you get the hang of it you can strip a door quick .

i actually heat the area then get it started so i can pull the paint off in big pieces.
We tried pulling the pieces off, and we might have a different type of paint or primer, because it will NOT happen for us. I watched a few videos of what you are describing and was hopeful, but no bueno.

This beats the heck out of dangerous, stinky, messy chemical stripper or ridiculous amounts of sanding. After we get those top layers off we are wet sanding with 180 to get primer off, down to fiberglass. I will have a few gouges to repair on the side I started on, before I got the hang of it. I ordered the Evercoat vette adhesive primer, thinking I will fill with that or would the rage extreme be better? Have both on the way.

Last edited by c1nicole; 03-06-2017 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:29 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Vette Panel Adhesive is a much better product in my opinion and it is all I use.. Rage Gold is much softer.

Do as you wish....but I would dry sand the primer off and not water sand it off.

FYIW...when you a have the primer exposed...do a small test spot with the stripper again and use lacquer thinner to get it off instead of water if that was what you were using. You might be amazed on how fast the primer will come off and you do not have to lay the chemical stripper in really thick...because all you are doing is removing a primer.....then sand of the primer and see if that will work for you. You might find that in your 'nooks and crannies' where it is about impossible to get the primer out...you might find that the chemical stripper is a very good method...or scrubbing with steel wool and lacquer thinner....because...those 'nook and crannies' are where paint and primer can likely lift due to it being hard to prep those areas.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To My first experience stripping

Quick Reply: My first experience stripping