Chassis paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 10:54 AM
Ktholin
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 334 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Chassis paint

I'm planning on painting the chassis on my C1. What paint, primer, rust inhibitor, prep, etc., do you recommend? The frame is in pretty good condition with only a little surface rust (California car). Should I take it down to bare metal, or just lightly sand it?

Also, The car is on jack stands so I don't have a lot of room to work with. I have spray equipment but can have my paint supplier make up rattle cans for me. Thanks for your help.

The car will not be judged, but would like to match the correct satin sheen.

Last edited by Ktholin; 03-15-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:41 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Ktholin
I'm planning on painting the chassis on my C1. What paint, primer, rust inhibitor, prep, etc., do you recommend? The frame is in pretty good condition with only a little surface rust (California car). Should I take it down to bare metal, or just lightly sand it?
As much as I hate to respond to this this way. If you have rust...then removing the rust...or encapsulating it may need to be done. Regardless if it is surface rust or heavy pits. To stop the rust you have to take one of the three things that cause rust to develop out of the equation.

Using the POR-15 product and the system of components will work. Sanding the rust and prepping it so it can have a coating applied on it will also work. But your choice of coating will determine if the area needs toe be primed or not. I know using epoxy primer is a known method to work...but just applying epoxy primer on rust ODES NOT GUARANTEE that it will not come back.

This is why the initial prep is so important....even if you use the POR-15 product.

I know you can mix Rustoleum flat black and gloss black enamel together and get a black with a very good satin finish. You can get this at the big home improvement stores AND you can also change the ratios from 1:1 to whatever you want to get the sheen you are looking for. This stuff is shot out of a paint gun.

Originally Posted by Ktholin
Also, The car is on jack stands so I don't have a lot of room to work with. I have spray equipment but can have my paint supplier make up rattle cans for me. Thanks for your help.

The car will not be judged, but would like to match the correct satin sheen.
Knowing that you are going to do this as you stated....then it will be up to you to determine on how to get it done. I know I no longer perform this service for my customers if the body is on the frame....but I will if the body is off the frame.

DUB
Old 03-16-2017, 10:40 AM
Ktholin
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 334 Likes on 77 Posts

Thanks, DUB!

Get notified of new replies

To Chassis paint

Quick Reply: Chassis paint