Performance Results Dyno sheets, Timeslips, Track Records, Who has the Fastest C5 Corvette?

Mixing Bias Ply with Radial Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 10:14 PM
96mogt
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mixing Bias Ply with Radial Question

I just got a set of 16inch Hoosier Quick time pros for the rears for the track and i have a set of radials up front. I want to make sure that I have this correct, If you mix these two on the track it could throw the car around pretty good correct? What option do i have to go with, im assuming getting another tire up front that is bias ply?? Jay
Old 10-09-2009, 02:51 AM
j0n
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96mogt
I just got a set of 16inch Hoosier Quick time pros for the rears for the track and i have a set of radials up front. I want to make sure that I have this correct, If you mix these two on the track it could throw the car around pretty good correct? What option do i have to go with, im assuming getting another tire up front that is bias ply?? Jay
new GTO spares with m&h front runners is the usual "budget" alternative.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:43 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Agreed the faster you go and less air pressure you run, the more wobbly they get. Call me crazy, but I still run the temp tires and have been 130mph on them, it's extended heat that's bad for them. Picked 'em up at a junkyard for $65 each, worth a tenth and mph in the 1/4 too.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:03 AM
Fartpipe
Le Mans Master

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

I think this tire thing needs to be more specific. Its not so much of a radial front bias ply rear. Yes the bias ply rear tire does have more movement because of the soft sidewall. However if you run a skinny front wheel, GTO spares, CCW's, Bogarts,Welds you can have a 165r16 or so tire thats a radial and no wondering. Its typically when you run a bias ply in the rear and a big flat tire up front. The front stays planted and has more rolling resistance. This makes the rear want to wonder and come around or feel like it does. I personally ran bias ply skinnies up front and radials. My car car felt more stable with the skinny radials and from my findings trapped higher because I had less rolling resistance on those front tires IMO.

There you have it go beat the hell out of that car and make us C5'ers proud!
Old 10-09-2009, 08:37 AM
96mogt
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fartpipe
I think this tire thing needs to be more specific. Its not so much of a radial front bias ply rear. Yes the bias ply rear tire does have more movement because of the soft sidewall. However if you run a skinny front wheel, GTO spares, CCW's, Bogarts,Welds you can have a 165r16 or so tire thats a radial and no wondering. Its typically when you run a bias ply in the rear and a big flat tire up front. The front stays planted and has more rolling resistance. This makes the rear want to wonder and come around or feel like it does. I personally ran bias ply skinnies up front and radials. My car car felt more stable with the skinny radials and from my findings trapped higher because I had less rolling resistance on those front tires IMO.

Thanks for the info Fartpipe!! Ill be grabbing some GTO spares and heading to the track. I still have my stock gearing in the back so im thinking hopefully low 11s , i need to swap them out for some 3.90s or 4.10s. Jay
Old 10-09-2009, 11:51 AM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

4.10s
Old 10-18-2009, 09:47 PM
RMS-MAN
Burning Brakes

My personal experience was that I will never run full size tires up front if running a bias ply in the back. I almost wrecked my vette with ET streets out back and 245/17 radials up front. The car would swerve from side to side even tho you were holding the steering wheel perfectly still. Scary!

I agree you can mix radials and bias ply, but just always run a skinny up front.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:55 PM
camotruK
Instructor

back in the day...my old HCI Trans Am...et streets out back...stock fronts...not a fun ride...did bogarts with ET drags out back and skinny 165 r16 radials up front and it was straight as an arrow...on my vette did 26 11.5 17 et streets with GTO skinnies with MH racemasters on them and it was very stable the whole way down the track
Old 10-19-2009, 12:52 AM
97 SC Cobra
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 87 Posts

Also had this ^^^^ happen to me when I had a Mustang with stockers on the front and slicks out back. Pretty scary to say the least.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:06 AM
a9secVette
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fartpipe

Im taking your word for it. CCW skinnies with radials and MT ET Streets in the rear. Ill post back up.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:22 AM
a9secVette
Advanced

Originally Posted by camotruK
back in the day...my old HCI Trans Am...et streets out back...stock fronts...not a fun ride...did bogarts with ET drags out back and skinny 165 r16 radials up front and it was straight as an arrow...on my vette did 26 11.5 17 et streets with GTO skinnies with MH racemasters on them and it was very stable the whole way down the track
OK thats 2 guys Im trying this TODAY!!

Get notified of new replies

To Mixing Bias Ply with Radial Question

Quick Reply: Mixing Bias Ply with Radial Question