C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on headers for modified 1976 L82 Stingray

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 04:39 PM
armenag
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on headers for modified 1976 L82 Stingray

Hello,

I have a 76' L82 stingray with a edelbrock intake manifold (2101) and true dual exhaust. My question to you guys, is what exhaust headers would you recommend?

I am looking for something that would be easy to install (no cutting or welding, should be able to just slide it in). I am also looking to increase power as much as I can.

I read a couple of other forums that talked about Hookers, Doug Thorleys, Summit Racing, flowtech, but these forums never came to a consistent consensus. So in terms of power, what headers will maximize power, while being easy to install.

Thank you!
Old 04-14-2016, 04:45 PM
Bloodzone
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 77 Posts

I don't think you will see much difference in power between the brands. I would go with a nice ceramic coated LT. These fit great on my 79.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:19 PM
armenag
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloodzone
I don't think you will see much difference in power between the brands. I would go with a nice ceramic coated LT. These fit great on my 79.
Is this a good combination?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Hooker-Headers...oductId=749142

http://www.jegs.com/i/Hooker-Headers...oductId=749142

These hookers seem to be very similar to your flowtech headers, and they are a bit cheaper. What do you think about these?
Old 04-14-2016, 05:54 PM
Bloodzone
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 77 Posts

The links you posted are for dual exhaust kits not headers. If you already have true duals you don't need the kit. Those Flowtechs I linked are the best bang for buck I found when I did my exhaust. Shorty headers will fit better for you if your running the original rams but they will offer little improvement.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:01 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloodzone
You can make your decision based on price, durability, and fit. There won't be much difference between the brands on power. I have Hooker Super Comp headers on my '79. The fit great. I had them ceramic coated after a few years use because they were getting a little rusty. I would recommend buying them with the ceramic coating and save having to take them off to do it in a couple of years like I did.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:19 PM
SpiritOf76
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Gonna pull this thread back up after 5 months...

I was looking into these 31106FTL's also... How are they on sound?
What muffler would add a nice sound added to these headers?

I'm looking for a really throaty deep rumble.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:04 PM
ykf7b0
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts

Hooker Competition Ceramic Coated. Looks great, reduces under hood heat, and fits like a glove!
Old 09-26-2016, 06:17 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Hooker Comps (regular; not the side pipes) and the FlowTechs have the best fit and compatibility with other common C3 mods such as the Borgeson power steering conversion or Steeroids rack and pinion steering. The correct sizing and fitment should be your primary considerations, IMHO.

For a SBC 350, 1 5/8th" diameter is the right size unless you're spinning up past 6,500 RPMs or are going with huge port heads and spinning up past 6,500 RPMs and you ideally want to go full-length to maximize scavenging; this generally means taking them to an exhaust shop to have the existing exhaust cut and some minor welding done. -To fully optimize the exhaust you could at the same time have an H-pipe installed for another $50-$75 -it should be the same diameter as your dual exhaust; I've been told that pipe max says that the cross-over should be within 20" of the merge collector and closer is better.

You'll get a great power improvement, plenty of potential for new heads in the future, probably a 2 mpg fuel economy improvement and improved performance sound.

I went with the Flowtech ceramic coated 31106FLT from Advance Auto as they were having a sale $50 off orders of $300 or more. Also buy the AC bracket if your C3 has AC; you'll need it: it's part # 10042FLT.

For $324.19 I got the coated Flowtechs and AC bracket including shipping (free) and taxes.

Not sure how much the exhaust shop is charging me to install them, the H-pipe, and O2 sensor bungs for my EFI, yet, though...

Your challenge might be that most exhaust shops have to / choose to comply with EPA regulations and want to see CATs on your car before you leave the shop and they might want the AIR / EGR tubes installed after the headers-these headers do not come with any such capability. -I just found an old hot rod shop in rural Indiana to do the work for me; they just don't care and would rather see me get more PERF out of the car-- my thoughts exactly, although I will miss the small increase in fuel economy at cruise RPMs that comes from decreased pumping losses from the AIR / EGR combo.

Adam

Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 09-26-2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:50 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

I did the Flowtechs too. I chose them because I can use them with angle plugs when I swap engines. They tuck up tight and easy fit. Only thing I can say negative is they seem a little close to Idler arm bolts.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:54 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by ykf7b0
Hooker Competition Ceramic Coated. Looks great, reduces under hood heat, and fits like a glove!

Easy install too.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:17 PM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

I have Hooker super comps on my '78. Plain ones, no coatings. Ture Duals as well as Steeroids R&P steering.

If you thing that R&P is in your future be careful which headers you buy, some may need to be "clearanced", (modified with a BFH, Big F'n Hammer). This will cause most coating to chip and flake off.

I didn't need to mod my Hookers, slid right in no problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Question on headers for modified 1976 L82 Stingray

Quick Reply: Question on headers for modified 1976 L82 Stingray