C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Request For '82 ALDL Guru's

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 03:29 PM
Bigredwing
Melting Slicks

Received 425 Likes on 301 Posts

Default Request For '82 ALDL Guru's

I want to build a cable for my ALDL port to laptop. I've Googled and found some cable wiring diagrams. What I would like to get is a diagram that is known to work on our '82's. If anybody has built their own cable or has knowledge of a link I could go to I would appreciate them PMing me or posting a picture here. Many thanks.
-Chris
Old 10-01-2016, 04:18 PM
vbgod1
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Stolen off of an F body forum.

http://www.reddevilriver.com/aldl.html
http://www.aldlcable.com/products/aldlobd1u.asp

Know you want to make your own, but sometimes it may be better to let someone else do the R&D and the possible screw ups. These sites tell you the pin # tho...
The following users liked this post:
Bigredwing (10-01-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 04:50 PM
corvettenorway
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

http://winaldl.joby.se/aldlcable.htm
Bigredwing (10-02-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 07:43 PM
Bigredwing
Melting Slicks

Received 425 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettenorway
Perfect. Thank you.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:43 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

If you want USB then any FTDI FT232RL chip based USB to serial board should work. Ebay has lots of them for $2 to $5. I say "should" because there are counterfeit ones out there and apparently FTDI has released a newer driver that doesn't work with the counterfeit chips. If you get a real chip then it works just fine. I bought a couple based on this listing and they worked fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351374810765?rmvSB=true
As for connecting, this is all you have to do.

Put a signal diode like a 1N914 from the TX to the ALDL data pin E.
Put a 1k resistor from the RX to the ALDL data pin E.
Connect the ground to the ALDL ground pin A.

The above Ebay link looks exactly like the board the Red Devil River cable uses. The ebay sale expired but Google searching for "JY-MCU USB SERIAL PORT ADAPTER DOWNLOAD ARDUINO FT232RL" does bring up other places selling it.

A PL2303HX chip based board should work for your car too. But, they only work on the 160 baud rate ALDL streams so they won't work on the later ALDL links with 8192 baud.
Bigredwing (10-03-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 09:39 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
If you want USB then any FTDI FT232RL chip based USB to serial board should work. Ebay has lots of them for $2 to $5. I say "should" because there are counterfeit ones out there and apparently FTDI has released a newer driver that doesn't work with the counterfeit chips. If you get a real chip then it works just fine. I bought a couple based on this listing and they worked fine.

JY MCU USB Serial Port Adapter Download Arduino FT232RL for Pro Mini 6pin Cable | eBay

As for connecting, this is all you have to do.

Put a signal diode like a 1N914 from the TX to the ALDL data pin E.
Put a 1k resistor from the RX to the ALDL data pin E.
Connect the ground to the ALDL ground pin A.

The above Ebay link looks exactly like the board the Red Devil River cable uses. The ebay sale expired but Google searching for "JY-MCU USB SERIAL PORT ADAPTER DOWNLOAD ARDUINO FT232RL" does bring up other places selling it.

A PL2303HX chip based board should work for your car too. But, they only work on the 160 baud rate ALDL streams so they won't work on the later ALDL links with 8192 baud.
I would like to buy a cable and use the link from winaldl. do I buy the cable from redevilriver or from aldlcable?

Get notified of new replies

To Request For '82 ALDL Guru's

Quick Reply: Request For '82 ALDL Guru's