C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

67 Vette - Lost Keys

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 11:05 AM
65GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Default 67 Vette - Lost Keys

1st.. Sorry in advance if this is a duplicate thread. Did a forum search on various combinations of search keywords and anything with 'key' in it just brings back 100's of results not related to actually making a replacement key.

We all have done it.. lost the keys... Yup I have even done it before. Anyway... cannot find the keys to the 67 and am at the point where I need to give up looking before I start having a mental break down and start smashing things around here.. I can just about feel myself ready to pick up a tool and bashing things This behavior universally freaks out my wife so I try to ovoid it.

Any suggestions ? I have in the long ago past lost the keys to my 65 GTO, and as I recall, I pulled out the ignition switch, pulled it all apart (which I recall was not easy getting to the tumblers), and as I recall, there was a 4 digit key code stamped into the tumbler assembly. Took this to a key shop and they cut me some keys based on me giving the 4 digit number. This is my recollection from at least 20 years ago and my memory might be all wet. Assume the 67 vette would be the same ?

Any better ideas ? I would think that by now, the locksmith should just be able to insert a device into these old locks and rotate some sort of dial that provides them either the key code, or a template to actually cut a key from. Called 1 local locksmith and he says he is not aware of any such device.

Thanks for any suggestions... was looking forward to driving the car this weekend. Still have the other cars to choose from, but really was looking fwd to driving the 67.

Thanks !!!!!

Jim

Last edited by 65GTO; 10-20-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:15 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

I know the glove box key and spare tire lock key should be the same...

If you don't want to remove the ignition key you can remove the door panel...as those 2 'should' be the same key...
Old 10-20-2016, 11:18 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GTO

as I recall, I pulled out the ignition switch, pulled it all apart (which I recall was not easy getting to the tumblers), and as I recall, there was a 4 digit key code stamped into the tumbler assembly. Took this to a key shop and they cut me some keys based on me giving the 4 digit number. This is my recollection from at least 20 years ago and my memory might be all wet. Assume the 67 vette would be the same ?
Unless you already know what the key codes are, that is the process.

The key code should be stamped on the ignition, and door lock cylinders.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:20 AM
MaineDoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 60 Posts

Locks in 1967 were really pretty primitive. Any competent local locksmith should be able to fashion keys that will work. I also seem to recall that there were not many combinations used. Some folks have reported starting their car with old keys belonging to another Chevrolet. Good luck.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:22 AM
Jim_A
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your not alone, I did the same thing this spring when I went to start up first time.

I see you are local in Mass. Call Alan at Sherman Lock in Waltham mass. Ask for Alan,
He made a set of keys for my 59, on my car I had to bring him the Glove box lock he disassembled it got the code cross referenced to the ignition code and cut the key

Good Luck hope yours is as easy as mine was

673 Moody Street
Waltham, MA 02453
phone: 781-893-6651
MOBILE SERVICE 6 DAYS A WEEK
servicing the Boston Metrowest area

http://www.shermanlock.com/lockandsafe/Home.html
Old 10-20-2016, 11:42 AM
ejboyd5
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 189 Posts

In the early '60s I had a ring with about 8 keys on it that would operate any GM product. I wish I could find those keys today. The GM locks of that era were quite primitive and any established locksmith should still have such a set.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:42 PM
65GTO
Burning Brakes

Thanks all for the suggestions... and for the affirmation that my memory is not totally shot yet on that process to get the key codes.

Also, you'all do bring up a good point... primitive locks. Let me try the boatload of GM keys I have hanging around here and see if any will work. I am thinking the 64 Eldo I have, the 59, and the 62 vettes, and the GTO as well. Sometimes the tumblers are so worn that just about anything that will slide in will work. Hummm... in this day and age, I could be hauled up on sexual misconduct / politically inappropriate comments for that last statement

Thanks - will report back

Actually... car is at my off site storage (I rotate cars around every now and them based on what I am in the mood to drive). I will have to hot wire it to drive it home, then deal with new keys at least from the comfort of the garage here.

Last edited by 65GTO; 10-20-2016 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:48 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

hot wire? bring ignition switch assembly, unplug old one and plug in new one.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:52 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Thanks all for the suggestions... and for the affirmation that my memory is not totally shot yet on that process to get the key codes.

Also, you'all do bring up a good point... primitive locks. Let me try the boatload of GM keys I have hanging around here and see if any will work. I am thinking the 64 Eldo I have, the 59, and the 62 vettes, and the GTO as well. Sometimes the tumblers are so worn that just about anything that will slide in will work. Hummm... in this day and age, I could be hauled up on sexual misconduct / politically inappropriate comments for that last statement

Thanks - will report back

Actually... car is at my off site storage (I rotate cars around every now and them based on what I am in the mood to drive). I will have to hot wire it to drive it home, then deal with new keys at least from the comfort of the garage here.
Its no joke - I drove my '63 up to the gas station one morning and had to finesse the key out of the lock and noticed the key fob looked strange. It was the key for my '61
Old 10-20-2016, 01:58 PM
65GTO
Burning Brakes

Jim A... BTW... your avitar and my 59 look like sisters. I will post some pics of the 59 on this thread. Do not see too many of the sliver / blue ones around, let alone so close to where I live. Cheers

Sister cars it seems

Last edited by 65GTO; 10-20-2016 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:11 PM
65GTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hope2
hot wire? bring ignition switch assembly, unplug old one and plug in new one.
Then I need to go buy one, which the local car parts place will not have, and create more delays. It is about 8 miles away.. should be ok running the points / condenser on the 12v for that short a period Is my thinking. Thanks for the input. All suggestions are good
Old 10-20-2016, 03:34 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

My '61 came with no door or ignition keys. I pulled out a door lock and had a new key made. No way to pull the ignition on a '61 without a key without using a die grinder and risking a ton of damage to the dash when you cut the lock bezel off....
Old 10-20-2016, 05:06 PM
Brian VH McHale
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 185 Posts

Do you have any original paperwork, sometimes the key code is listed.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:11 PM
quahog
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Default lost keys

1st.. Sorry in advance if this is a duplicate thread. Did a forum search on various combinations of search keywords and anything with 'key' in it just brings back 100's of results not related to actually making a replacement key.

We all have done it.. lost the keys... Yup I have even done it before. Anyway... cannot find the keys to the 67 and am at the point where I need to give up looking before I start having a mental break down and start smashing things around here.. I can just about feel myself ready to pick up a tool and bashing things This behavior universally freaks out my wife so I try to ovoid it.

Any suggestions ? I have in the long ago past lost the keys to my 65 GTO, and as I recall, I pulled out the ignition switch, pulled it all apart (which I recall was not easy getting to the tumblers), and as I recall, there was a 4 digit key code stamped into the tumbler assembly. Took this to a key shop and they cut me some keys based on me giving the 4 digit number. This is my recollection from at least 20 years ago and my memory might be all wet. Assume the 67 vette would be the same ?

Any better ideas ? I would think that by now, the locksmith should just be able to insert a device into these old locks and rotate some sort of dial that provides them either the key code, or a template to actually cut a key from. Called 1 local locksmith and he says he is not aware of any such device.

Thanks for any suggestions... was looking forward to driving the car this weekend. Still have the other cars to choose from, but really was looking fwd to driving the 67.

Thanks !!!!!

Jim
I have a 67 project that had no keys, I went to a locksmith in Brockton , Reliable lock and key I think, the cluster was out so I brought it with me, when the owner saw what I had he said he'd try his gm master key set and see if he could find a match, 10 minuets no love, he then says I can make a new key by removing the tumbler and cutting a new key to match the tumbler and match it to the doors besides , he says leave it come back in 30 minuets. I was back in 30 and I had new keys and tumbler with no damage to the switch. Cost was @ 40 bucks a deal. Hope this helps Jeff
Old 10-20-2016, 08:29 PM
65GTO
Burning Brakes

Hi All: Thanks for all the tips.

Took a pile of old keys there with me to try... none of the old GM keys would slide into the ignition lock. Thinking if I could get something in, it might turn. My other GM's are 1965 or older. I am guessing the key blanks changed at 1966 or 1967

Hot-wired the car to drive it to my home garage… See pic.. there she is.

While at the off-site storage, I tried to take the ignition switch out as it may be easier to get the key code from there, as well as for hot-wiring thinking it would be easier to jump the wires to turn the car over that trying to do the same at the cranking motor. What I found is that the ignition bezel unscrews, the ignition then flops around, but the bezel unscrews to a point where it just free-spins, but does not come off. Not like the threads are stripped or anything at the outer end, but feels like it is designed that way. Like there is some additional tool or step to actually remove the bezel from the ignition switch. So I could not get the ignition switch out. Is this some type of primitive anti-theft design to make it harder to swap an ignition switch ? Still like to see if the ignition is easier to get the codes from than pulling the door panel off to take out the door lock (see pic).

Also.. sounds like the door and ignition are the same key code (assuming factory door and ignition locks are in place), and the glove box and spare tire lock the same.

Thanks ! Jim

None would work of all these

Un-threads but does not come off

The toy box.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:54 PM
66jack
Team Owner

You need your key to remove every thing...the key portion comes out first then the bezel....

Your SOL... at this point...your next option is remove the door panel and take off/out the door lock and go to locksmith and come home and give the ignition a try...if it works then you can button it all up and get some extra sets to toss in the basket...
Old 10-20-2016, 09:17 PM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 418 Posts

1st.. Sorry in advance

Jim
PM sent Jim.

Get notified of new replies

To 67 Vette - Lost Keys

Old 10-20-2016, 09:21 PM
65GTO
Burning Brakes

Thanks 66 Jack. Need the key to separate the bezel from the switch. Got it.

Will pull the door panel. On a positive note, the driver's door window was getting real tough to crank up and down... as windows are always down never bothered with it. Now I have a reason to check out / grease up the window regulator.

Also.. all.. thanks for the tips on local locksmiths.

Will give an update on how it all works out.

BTW... you know how these stories go... after searching for 3 weeks and working myself up to a fit, 2 days after I get new keys, I will find the old ones.

Last edited by 65GTO; 10-20-2016 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:44 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Just a thought....

Did/have you checked under the seats or along side the seat/tunnel for the Keys>>>
Old 10-21-2016, 07:03 AM
91DRM
Team Owner

Received 329 Likes on 229 Posts

Just remember...if you are lucky enough to find your keys it will be in the last place you looked.

Quick Reply: 67 Vette - Lost Keys