Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Bolt on Plans, Stock Cam Limits?!Need Opinions!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 12:28 AM
Aguita
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bolt on Plans, Stock Cam Limits?!Need Opinions!

Hello, I have a 06 that i have some plans on adding some bolt ons in order to get more power, Currently i have Halltech Intake,Axle Back exhaust and a tune. My plans are to add the following.

1 3/4 Headers
MSD Intake Manifold Ported
Stock TB Ported or a NW TB ( Still Thinking which way to go)
Retune

Or

Headers
Stock Intake Manifold Ported
Stock TB ported
Retune

I know the second option prolly wont give good gains but they should with the headers and tune hits over 30hp..

But my issue is i dont want to add a cam to the car, yes i know that is prolly what is giving most HP but i dont want to for now and near future...

So is the stock cam good up to how many hp!? will those mods be too much for stock cam?!

I dyno the car stock and it put down 440 SAE on a dynojet on a hot day..

How much you think i can produce with those mods?!

thanks in advance

Last edited by Aguita; 10-27-2016 at 12:29 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:21 AM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

You wont build much power. Things like stock intake and headers are matched to the stock cam. I would not waist my money unless you go all in.

Those same mods on a cam that will use them will bring larger gains.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:00 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Heads first before any of that other stuff.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:36 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

My build so far (and most likely will not change unless I suffer a cam / lifter failure) -

* Stock cam
* Kooks 1-7/8 headers with cat
* MSD manifold
* Mammo ported stock 90mm TB
* Callaway Honker intake
* AHP heads milled .020 with exhaust-side only clean up
* YT roller rockers / PSI 1511 springs / stock intake and exhaust valves.
* Very conservative tune (essentially only accounting for improved airflow, retaining the factory PE target values (e.g. on the rich side)).

Baseline of 472 RWHP at 15,000 miles, dead-stock including original air filter (note that my baseline is higher than average due to the factory 2011 exhaust config - these engines make about 10 to 12 more HP than non-2011 cars).

I will take it back to this same dyno sometime next week for a validation of HP and Tq improvements.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 10-27-2016 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:37 AM
redbird555
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 90 Posts

Personally I agree on getting the heads fixed first.

After that though I think both plans leave a lot on the table. Stock ls7 intake leaves a lot to be desired so if you want the most bolt on hp possible, chuck it. Also it's pretty pointless to bolt a 102 intake down and keep a 90mm to so chuck that too.

The answer there is an msd 102 ported. You should gain a solid 20whp from a ported msd on a stock bolt on motor.

1-3/4 headers are tiny on an ls7. Normally headers only gain about 10whp on these cars but since you have now opened up the intake a bit more they will help much more. I have never seen an ls lose power with bigger headers much less any tq. On a bone stock ls3 2" have been shown to make more hp than any other smaller size and they lose no tq. If you can afford a good set of headers I would absolutely go no smaller than 2", 1-7/8 is a bare min.

My thing is bolt on power, I enjoy optimizing a car to eveything it can be before doing internal work and the last 2 ls cars I have done this way have gone on to beat cammed cars which is great to watch. All the little mods that "aren't" worth it add up in the end and make quite the difference.

Currently I'm working on doing this all again to my stock ls7 and I expect the motor all said and don to be in the 540whp range stock h/c
Old 10-27-2016, 10:45 AM
redbird555
Drifting

I watched my old car pick up 20whp from a meziere ewp and ati UD pulley. Those 2 mods according to most people are never worth it. But yet with that gain you're already halfway to the power of a cam swap. Is it cost effective? No, but it's more so about having the car optimized for what it is.

Also don't let anyone tell you an ati 10% will drag down your accessories I ran my last ati for 6 years with an auto and manual trans. Also with a 600w stereo system and never had 1 issue also used a lithium battery with that setup
Old 10-27-2016, 11:12 AM
olddragger
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

what I don't understand is why are people chasing power? Do you want performance?
Do you want to just outrun your buddy?
Instead of the engine ( with minor exceptions like a little cooling help) why don't people just drop in a 3.7 or maybe even a 4.11 diff?
Just curious ....I like the OP and Dan really don't want to cam this engine.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:15 AM
redbird555
Drifting

That's another great mod c6z needs gears very badly but just a diff is around 3K for these cars. I would get a light clutch way before doing gears, cheaper and you still keep your mpg when you want them.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:16 AM
redbird555
Drifting

I wouldn't cam an ls7 before it had every lady bolt on possible, a 25 lb clutch and a set of gears. By that time you'd be destroying cammed and even some HC cars anyway
Old 10-27-2016, 12:10 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by olddragger
what I don't understand is why are people chasing power? Do you want performance?
Do you want to just outrun your buddy?
Instead of the engine ( with minor exceptions like a little cooling help) why don't people just drop in a 3.7 or maybe even a 4.11 diff?
Just curious ....I like the OP and Dan really don't want to cam this engine.
Because no one makes gears for a Z, so swapping gears becomes an expensive item since it requires a swap to a base diff which isn't as strong.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:50 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,287 Likes on 932 Posts

Longtubes won't add power with a stock cam due to having no positive overlap. Need to run a cam to see the effects of longtube scavenging take place, this is where the power comes from.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:53 PM
redbird555
Drifting

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
Longtubes won't add power with a stock cam due to having no positive overlap. Need to run a cam to see the effects of longtube scavenging take place, this is where the power comes from.
This makes no sense whatsoever no factory cam have overlap and most ls cars pick up an easy 20hp even without a tune. The ls7 just has great manifolds that flow really well. You don't need a cam to need good scavenging. Headers will typically pickup 10 hp over a set of manifolds on these cars but once you remove the intke restriction (factory intake manifold) they pick up more
Old 10-27-2016, 12:59 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Originally Posted by redbird555
a 25 lb clutch and a set of gears. By that time you'd be destroying cammed and even some HC cars anyway
Not even sure you would need that on a 1/4 mile application.

On a track, it is personal preference.

I wouldn't cam an ls7 before it had every lady bolt on possible,
The first mod ANYONE should do on this car is head work, and while your in there many choose to upgrade the cam.

No reason to not put a cam in if you put an under drive pulley, which have had many failure recently on this engine.

c6z needs gears very badly
I would argue for which specific need? Nothing wrong with my gearing for track.

Stock ls7 intake leaves a lot to be desired
Its actually a great manifold, and ported is very close to a stock MSD or Fast, because it is such a good manifold.

Many people make crazy power with the stock intake, its not really a limiting factor like the cam does.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:29 PM
olddragger
Pro

Diffs are a little costly-- about 3K? But in perspective--it is not out of reason? Mods for this car are on the expensive side.
If you chase power then you also need other mods to support the changes? Better cooling, better clutch, etc. Increased power output always has to be accounted for throughout the car if it is to stay balanced.
Changing the diff gears can actually take some strain OFF the drivetrain rather than adding it.
Story time: in the late 1960's my 2nd car, a 2 door hardtop 55 chev with the L89 396 (great engine ) Muncie 4 speed and a 4:11 diff was one hell of a powerful car. I was beating a lot of people at the drag strip. Car couldn't stop( brakes--what brakes?). before I ent to Vietnam I took a trip up the coast. before I did that I put a 3:55 diff in it.
It totally killed the car. A 454 chevy impala freaking beat me. I was breaking U joints left and right and even broke some of the teeth on a ring gear too. Yayyy. it was like it was a totally different car. Didn't take long for me to swap back to the 4:11
The ZO6 is the same way. Just open up the intake a little, get a great tune,drop a 3.7 or even maybe a 4:11 ( that may be a bit high)in this thing and then you better hold on.
I think you can do all that for about 4K?
Now Unreal is right---not enough of the diffs are selling to bring the cost down, little competition etc etc. Wish that would change

Last edited by olddragger; 10-27-2016 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:32 PM
redbird555
Drifting

Originally Posted by outhouse
Not even sure you would need that on a 1/4 mile application.

On a track, it is personal preference.

Decreasing parasitic loss and moi is only going to lead to faster times and less hp lost. The only thing a heavier clutch helps with is making the car a little nicer to drive and a little easier to launch. If you want I can go into more detail about what the lighter clutch will do for a car and it's track times

The first mod ANYONE should do on this car is head work, and while your in there many choose to upgrade the cam.

No reason to not put a cam in if you put an under drive pulley, which have had many failure recently on this engine.

i specifically said the first mod he should do is fix the heads, at any rate I'm not sure if you've ever installed a cam before in these cars but by no means is it even close to a UD pulley. To install a pulley you need to undo the abs bolts, steering rack and move it out of the way. You can leave in the fan, condenser, radiator and timing cover. Not to mention you don't have to fashion a way to hold up the lifters and R/R the cam. It's honestly about 25% of the work. It's like saying you may as well swap heads when you put on headers because it's right there. [

I would argue for which specific need? Nothing wrong with my gearing for track.

[B[/B]For any reason we do mods, to go faster. Any stock part gets you down the track but there's always room for improvement. These cars come with a 27" rear tire 3.42 gears and very high trans gearing. Strictly in mathematic terms it's the most undergeared m6 car gm made.

Its actually a great manifold, and ported is very close to a stock MSD or Fast, because it is such a good manifold.

Many people make crazy power with the stock intake, its not really a limiting factor like the cam does

This comment gets me as well. People make 800 hp using 1-3/4 headers but that doesn't mean they wouldn't make 850 with larger ones....the stock intake isn't that great you can't port it and address the areas that really need help (runner mouths) without doing major surgery. A ported stock intake will pick up some power but it's not going to be what an msd gives and it certainly won't be what a ported one would be
With all that said it may seem like I'm just blowing smoke but I have actually tried both ends of the spectrum in every mod I just listed there and seen the results first hand and can easily explain how each of them will benefit a car.

Putting a cam in a car without the proper supporting mods is like building a house from the roof down. The car will go faster than stock yes but it won't be near optimal. This is clearly evident by some of the bolt on guys deep in the 10s that have all the mods I listed and the guys with h/c cars that go high10s or low 11s.

Personally I'd rather have a car that surprises everyone than would that performs less than optimally. The last car I went through was an fbody 3650 rw that had a stock ls3 crate motor in it. Using those techniques above the car trapped 120 in 2500 DA even with the stock poppy 342 gears out back launching off idle. With a 3.90 gear or so and a 4K launch that car would have easily trapped 4-5mph better even than it did. That motor also made 450whp on a couple different dynos on a stock ls3 intake on 93.

If one goes and researches some of the fastest bolt on cars here you won't find a heavy clutch, mechanical water pump, stock crank pulley or stock gears. There's a reason for all that
Old 10-27-2016, 01:37 PM
olddragger
Pro

Gearing is individualized to the environment of which the car is to be used. if it is acceleration someone wants ( that is usually what people want when they want more power)--- then more times than not, a different diff ratio than stock will significaly help in a variety of ways.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:38 PM
olddragger
Pro

exactly redbird! Totally with you.

Get notified of new replies

To Bolt on Plans, Stock Cam Limits?!Need Opinions!

Old 10-27-2016, 01:41 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 277 Posts

Mine bone stock only made high 430s.

Either way.... Ported Fast, Mild head port and mill, headers, Haltech 102, 10% ATI my car made 507rwhp/490 tq but the power curve is really flat. It carried over 500rwhp from 5500-6400 rpm. Stock cam still

Thats ~70rwhp gains on stock cam. One of the things to consider is the torque curve vs traction. Stock cam makes lots of low end torque. The cammed cars tend to spread that out a little and can make traction easier to come by, even though the make overall more power

Last edited by atljar; 10-27-2016 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:49 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Originally Posted by olddragger
Gearing is individualized to the environment of which the car is to be

Exactly, personal preference
Old 10-27-2016, 02:12 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
My build so far (and most likely will not change unless I suffer a cam / lifter failure) -

* Stock cam
* Kooks 1-7/8 headers with cat
* MSD manifold
* Mammo ported stock 90mm TB
* Callaway Honker intake
* AHP heads milled .020 with exhaust-side only clean up
* YT roller rockers / PSI 1511 springs / stock intake and exhaust valves.
* Very conservative tune (essentially only accounting for improved airflow, retaining the factory PE target values (e.g. on the rich side)).

Baseline of 472 RWHP at 15,000 miles, dead-stock including original air filter (note that my baseline is higher than average due to the factory 2011 exhaust config - these engines make about 10 to 12 more HP than non-2011 cars).

I will take it back to this same dyno sometime next week for a validation of HP and Tq improvements.
This is probably a good blueprint right here for (reasonably) squeezing the most HP out of a stock cam LS7. Unless of course that MSD wasn't Mamofied like the TB...

Quick Reply: [Z06] Bolt on Plans, Stock Cam Limits?!Need Opinions!