Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] HID or LED upgrade to HIGHS and FOGS

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 01:53 AM
DrtyHarry
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HID or LED upgrade to HIGHS and FOGS

I am ending up having to replace a headlight from an accident, and am thinking about putting HIDs in my highs and fogs. On my last car, I had put 6000k HID bulbs in my highs and fogs and was more than happy with them.

6000k is not too bright and does not look "blue" like you see on some rice cars. It really makes a great difference when driving on dark roads late at night.

Upon searching for kits....usually you pick out the temp of the bulbs you want and how many ballasts you need. In this case, I have ballasts in my lows so I need 4 (2 for highs and 2 for lows).

I came across these LED kits that say....

"Designed with the newest chips available for LEDs. Emitting 1800 Lumens without a warm up time, giving your car the upgrade in safety, visibility, and reduced power usage.

The bright white, dual sided bulb illuminates the road better than the HID kits available. Each bulb is fitted with a heatsink and a miniature fan for performance cooling.

This pair of LEDs includes 2 ballasts (which are smaller than the HIDs'), installation is easy with 100% plug and play fitment."

https://www.moderngenauto.com/C6-Cor...it_p_6597.html

I have no experience with these kinds of lights. Does anyone know anything about them and how they compare to HIDs? I don't know what 1800 lumens look like and don't know how they will match up with the lows. I can add fogs to the kit for another $100....but again, I'm not sure if LED is the way to go. Yes...they look nice. But I want to simply be able to see the road better when I'm driving upstate on roads with no lights so I can avoid hitting all the damn deer. Thanks!!

Harry
Old 10-28-2016, 01:57 AM
DrtyHarry
Pro

This write up says to go with HID over LED for highs/fogs....

http://nickscarblog.com/diy/hid-vs-l...hich-is-better
Old 10-28-2016, 02:05 AM
DrtyHarry
Pro

I think this is a winner....(looks like I thought about this 7 years ago....lol)

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-77-99-a.html

https://www.corvettemods.com/C6-Corv...it_p_5532.html

Last edited by DrtyHarry; 10-28-2016 at 02:07 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:09 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

If you've ever watched a LeMans race, with the Audi prototype (and others), those cars are using super-bright L.E.D systems (much brighter than any H.I.D's I've ever seen). If I had to guess, I'm thinking you could by a used Z06 for what those systems cost.

L.E.D's are certainly the future, but made-in-China LED fogs lamps with "small fans" on the back That is not a "factory quality" product, and it's doubtful they will stand up to a reasonable amount of use.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:41 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by DrtyHarry
I don't know what 1800 lumens look like

Harry

Very weak light amount.

Did 3800 on my husaberg and while better then stock, I'm not impressed.

Look for higher numbers.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:29 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Lumens are how bright the light is and Color Temperature tells where it fits in the visible spectrum. 5800 K is equivalent to sunlight. The issue with using HIDs for high beams is they may take too long to light. If you are trying to see something right after you hit the switch the lights may not get up to temperature and slow your reaction time.

Bill
Old 10-29-2016, 12:58 AM
SlowBusa08
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Bill is absolutely right, hi beam HID's are very tough due to warm up time. Some brands are much better than others, but I still haven't found any, other than oem, that are instant.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:43 AM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 113 Posts

Pet peeve:
People who put very bright lights in their fog lights (ruining them for actually being useful in fog) and then run with them on all the time blinding driver after driver just to be cool with their light show.
The following users liked this post:
MTPZ06 (10-29-2016)
Old 10-29-2016, 12:02 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowBusa08
Bill is absolutely right, hi beam HID's are very tough due to warm up time. Some brands are much better than others, but I still haven't found any, other than oem, that are instant.

Yes he is right.

Its even a challenge for low beams on some applications that don't have cut off shields for high beams in the projector that keep the bulb constantly on.

I installed expensive HID low beams and it has regular high beams and when I switch back to low from high you have that lag for a second or two. Not an issue but it does annoy me.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:52 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,283 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by LawrenceFromTorrance
Pet peeve:
People who put very bright lights in their fog lights (ruining them for actually being useful in fog) and then run with them on all the time blinding driver after driver just to be cool with their light show.

agreed 100%

do it right or dont do it at all.

Get notified of new replies

To HID or LED upgrade to HIGHS and FOGS

Quick Reply: [Z06] HID or LED upgrade to HIGHS and FOGS