C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 Steering Column

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 11:58 AM
RiversideVette69
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 69 Steering Column

I am converting my late 69 to a tilt-telescopic column. Are the columns up to '76 the same including the horn ring and flag emblem, wiring harness connector, levers, connection to the dash and steering box? I know there is a difference in the steering wheels and I plan to use mine if it bolts on to the tilt column. Any words of wisdom?
Old 12-08-2016, 05:26 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by RiversideVette69
I am converting my late 69 to a tilt-telescopic column. Are the columns up to '76 the same including the horn ring and flag emblem, wiring harness connector, levers, connection to the dash and steering box? I know there is a difference in the steering wheels and I plan to use mine if it bolts on to the tilt column. Any words of wisdom?
1969-1975 are the same. 76 you get into that fugly steering wheel.

You'll have to make sure you either get the ignition switch with the column purchase or you'll need to get one for a tilt tele wheel. The rest is pretty easy. The horn button and all other goodies are for the most part the same.

Willcox
Old 12-09-2016, 11:25 AM
RiversideVette69
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
1969-1975 are the same. 76 you get into that fugly steering wheel.

You'll have to make sure you either get the ignition switch with the column purchase or you'll need to get one for a tilt tele wheel. The rest is pretty easy. The horn button and all other goodies are for the most part the same.

Willcox
Thanks for the info. When the column is completely unbolted, is the extraction from the steering box routine or is it a process? Is there a keeper ring inside the box that holds the column in place?
Old 12-09-2016, 04:10 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Thanks for the info. When the column is completely unbolted, is the extraction from the steering box routine or is it a process? Is there a keeper ring inside the box that holds the column in place?
the column splined end goes into the rag joint with a lock bolt running 90deg across it, remove the lock bolt completely and the column should come out .Only thing that will stop it is age , corrosion build-up etc.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:40 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Actually I would NOT remoev teh bolt that goes across rteh shaft. the 12 point ones. lewave it alone.

Because thflaneg t hat is bolted toeh bottom of teh steringcolumn shaft...is attaches toteh rag joint but 2 nuts that go throgutheh rag joint. Simpley remove teh two nuts usinga 9/16" socket and tehn carefuly seprate teh flange ateh baseiof tehsterrign colmn formteh rag joint.

Trying to remove the flange from the steering column shaft can take a lot more than the time to get the flange to come off the rag joint.

I have done countless steering column removals...and what I write is the way I do it...but you can do as you wish.

When you attempt to remove the flange from the rag joint....make sure to support the column on the inside of the car in some way...because if it hangs down too far...you will be fighting with that tension and binding. So if you ahve someone who can hold it up while you are working the flange of the rag joint...it should go easy.

I can do it by myself and I use a box and bundled up blankets to support the column.

And for those who say that doing it this way can damage the rag joint (steering coupling). All I have to say is that if a screwdriver properly placed and working off the rag joint damages the rag joint. The rag joint needed to be replaced anyway.

Sometimes when I have someone pull back slightly on the column....I take my plastic hammer and tap on the threads of the bolts that you just took the two nuts off of to help get it started so I can further work if off the flange. I can still do this m by myself due to reaching down and grabbing the column can pull back while I tap one bolt...then spin the column to get the other bolt .

DUB
Old 12-09-2016, 09:10 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Yes..

Just use a paint stick or something similar and mark the shaft to the collar so when you go back you'll have a reference point. It's that simple.

Willcox.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:16 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

replace the rag joint now while the steering column is out, alot easier that doing it again down the road.

Get notified of new replies

To 69 Steering Column

Quick Reply: 69 Steering Column