C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 base - Z06 differences

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 10:50 PM
Friscojim
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts
Default C5 base - Z06 differences

I've got an '01 vert and was wondering what the performance mods would have to be to upgrade the motor to what a stock Z06 is? Is this even doable? Wondering over time what swaps (if any are possible) could be done. I've seen the suspension upgrades with the Z shocks and Z51 sway bars - that makes a lot of sense - what differences are there wit the motors? just cams? Sorry if this sounds stupid but I like to dream
Old 01-18-2017, 12:25 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

You can easily get your car over 405HP; heads and a decent cam can get you there.
As for the differences between an LS1 and an LS6 there are plenty; heads, compression ratio, cam... etc. The Z is also lighter and has better gearing in the tranny, so a few more ponies needed.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:50 PM
sean.b
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Friscojim
I've got an '01 vert and was wondering what the performance mods would have to be to upgrade the motor to what a stock Z06 is? Is this even doable? Wondering over time what swaps (if any are possible) could be done. I've seen the suspension upgrades with the Z shocks and Z51 sway bars - that makes a lot of sense - what differences are there wit the motors? just cams? Sorry if this sounds stupid but I like to dream
not a very expensive dream. so there's a few differences:
* M12 transmission has tighter gear ratios
* 243 vs 241 heads: higher compression, better flow
* base auto had 2.73 or 3.15 rear end, all manuals had 3.42
* camshaft is slightly different (ie: better)
* rear brake ducts have cooling on Z06's
* lighter windshield on Z
* lighter hood on Z (not sure if thats all or commemorative only?)
* lighter rear glass on Z
* LS6 is a modest improvement over the LS1 - but most of the '01's have an LS6 block to start with
* LS6 vs LS1 intake is a pretty good upgrade - but again you should have that already, too
* better PCV evacuation system on the Z
* power steering cooler on the Z
* titanium exhaust on the Z, far lighter than the base models

thats all i can think of off the top of my head. if you do your own work, its honestly not that hard at all to replicate a Z, or just blow right by it.

Last edited by sean.b; 01-18-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:57 PM
kp1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Engine differences are primarily 243 heads with hollow intake valves and sodium filled exhaust valves, valve springs, cam and intake. I know that in 2002 all LS1s came with the same intake as the LS6 intake, not sure whether your 2001 had it or not. The LS6 also had a coating on the side skirts of the pistons that I don't think the LS1 had. The LS6 block was a different casting but didn't make a HP difference.

If you want it to run better/quicker with the least effort, it's better valve springs, pushrods, getting rid of the very rich AFR at WOT in the OEM tune and changing the gearing. A 3.43/1 will really wake up a automatic and a 4.11/1 will make a 6 speed a lot more fun. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Last edited by kp1; 01-18-2017 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:08 PM
01badvette
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Very easy, used lower mileage Z06 springs aren't to hard to come by at decent prices, and Z06 shocks / sways are available very reasonable from a few vendors here.
I've swapped my entire suspension over to Z06 components and it really don't take much wrench time or money to do.
TSP has a great set of ported 243 heads a an awesome price.
https://www.texas-speed.com/p-4345-p...-outright.aspx
Then just take your choice of a cam and your beyond Z06 performance power wise.

I think more of it will depend your wants as far as what you want out of the car or plan to do with it? HPDE? Auto X? Strip? or just a cruiser. I'd make a decision on that first and then tailor your performance parts based of that.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:46 PM
sean.b
Drifting

Originally Posted by 01badvette
I think more of it will depend your wants as far as what you want out of the car or plan to do with it? HPDE? Auto X? Strip? or just a cruiser. I'd make a decision on that first and then tailor your performance parts based of that.
100% that. dont worry about archetypes or replicating existing models. figure out what you want from the car and build the car to do it.

working on these things is almost childishly easy.
The following users liked this post:
Friscojim (01-18-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 08:08 PM
Friscojim
Instructor

Thanks for all the replies - kind of what I was thinking the differences would be - changing suspension sounds like the way to go for handling and then dealing with motor upgrades over time - getting the Corsa sport exhaust done this weekend - I'm thinking a tune will help and then I can worry about the other stuff down the road
Old 01-19-2017, 01:39 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

I did it to my 2002 A4 coupe but with a few extras. For the street is is what I was looking for. I Decked, ported and polished 799 heads. Added the flip tie mod and a tune.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:36 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

I did things to mine as well and although I don't race it I'm sure it exceeds the performance of a stock Z.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:27 AM
01badvette
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for all the replies - kind of what I was thinking the differences would be - changing suspension sounds like the way to go for handling and then dealing with motor upgrades over time - getting the Corsa sport exhaust done this weekend - I'm thinking a tune will help and then I can worry about the other stuff down the road

I wouldn't worry about a tune for the car until you get into more substantial bolt-on's like LT headers, xpipe and a good air induction system etc. it may feel like it wakes the car up a little but really wont show any measureable gains until your deeper into modifications in terms or air/fuel and then will need the car retuned at that time anyway.

I will be taking off my C5 Z06 front sway bar along with my C6 Z06 shocks here in the near future as I'm going to a more dedicated auto X setup. All the parts have only around 10kmi I'll more then likely be posting them up in the classified section if your interested just let me know.

Last edited by 01badvette; 01-19-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:38 AM
Rob Petyo
Le Mans Master

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

I've done some things to mine as far as gears, heads, cam, etc. (my daily driver) and like to take it to the track on occasion. My C-5 base with stock displacement will run a low ten second quarter mile @ +130 mph naturally aspirated.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:23 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

If you put a Z06 heads and cam in it you will need a tune.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:12 AM
Friscojim
Instructor

Originally Posted by 01badvette
I wouldn't worry about a tune for the car until you get into more substantial bolt-on's like LT headers, xpipe and a good air induction system etc. it may feel like it wakes the car up a little but really wont show any measureable gains until your deeper into modifications in terms or air/fuel and then will need the car retuned at that time anyway.

I will be taking off my C5 Z06 front sway bar along with my C6 Z06 shocks here in the near future as I'm going to a more dedicated auto X setup. All the parts have only around 10kmi I'll more then likely be posting them up in the classified section if your interested just let me know.
I've already put the AirRaid air kit on it and am getting an X pipe installed with the Corsa tomorrow - still thinking a tune at that point would help debating on the mail order tune I've seen posted with happy results on this forum - not sure an in-shop more expensive one would be worth it
Old 01-20-2017, 03:18 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

A mail order tune will be fine and will offer gains.

It is just not necessary for light bolt on mods. With an A4 trans a tune can "wake things up". The reduced torque management, Adjusted shift points, and higher line pressure are worth it IMO.

If you do other mods, such as heads and cam (necessary), you will be sending your PCM back again, most likely at your expense.

Just saying! It's your choice.

Last edited by Rob 02; 01-20-2017 at 03:23 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:18 PM
Friscojim
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rob 02
A mail order tune will be fine and will offer gains.

It is just not necessary for light bolt on mods. With an A4 trans a tune can "wake things up". The reduced torque management, Adjusted shift points, and higher line pressure are worth it IMO.

If you do other mods, such as heads and cam (necessary), you will be sending your PCM back again, most likely at your expense.

Just saying! It's your choice.
The people who did my exhaust today said the same thing - the torque mgmt they said is a huge difference - if they do a tune and then 2-3 months from now I decide on other mods (headers) they just charge by the hour - I've got a manual - sounds like having them do it will be worth it for the time being - not looking to max out HP - just wake it up as much as I can with minimal $$
Old 01-20-2017, 11:28 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Let us know how it works out. Future readers will be interested in hearing your opinion.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:36 AM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by sean.b
not a very expensive dream. so there's a few differences:
* M12 transmission has tighter gear ratios
* 243 vs 241 heads: higher compression, better flow
* base auto had 2.73 or 3.15 rear end, all manuals had 3.42
* camshaft is slightly different (ie: better)
* rear brake ducts have cooling on Z06's
* lighter windshield on Z
* lighter hood on Z (not sure if thats all or commemorative only?)
* lighter rear glass on Z
* LS6 is a modest improvement over the LS1 - but most of the '01's have an LS6 block to start with
* LS6 vs LS1 intake is a pretty good upgrade - but again you should have that already, too
* better PCV evacuation system on the Z
* power steering cooler on the Z
* titanium exhaust on the Z, far lighter than the base models

thats all i can think of off the top of my head. if you do your own work, its honestly not that hard at all to replicate a Z, or just blow right by it.
I think the differential on the Z06 is heavy-duty. Much more so than on the base C5

Get notified of new replies

To C5 base - Z06 differences

Old 11-08-2018, 12:59 PM
Calibear2003
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Handwich
I think the differential on the Z06 is heavy-duty. Much more so than on the base C5
Actually they are the same differential. The Z06 gets the Cryogenic Treatment for the gears (I believe) with makes the feeling smoother.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:04 PM
sean.b
Drifting

i dont know of any company anywhere (certainly at least not domestic) that cryo treats anything from the factory.. the differences in the c5 and c5z transmissions is the tighter spacing between gear ratios, which would perhaps attribute to the "smoother" feeling. m6 vs m12 T56 transmissions.

Last edited by sean.b; 11-08-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:34 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

If you look at some of the threads on here about rebuilding transmissions you should see that the tranny housings are different. Very different. Those Z06 trannys can take real race track punishment. Threads by Bill Curley and nsogiba come to mind. But there are probably others.

Quick Reply: C5 base - Z06 differences