Reasonable price for C3?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 08:55 PM
corvetteBlack
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Reasonable price for C3?

Hi,

I've looked through the for sale section and a lot of C3's are really expensive for a classic car that is still available in very large numbers.

I was wondering why the price is that high, because the demand for C3's doesn't seem high? In all my time in the US (Only been in the US for 7 months I haven't seen a C3 on the road). I've seen them parked at my mechanics garage but never seen a C3 on the road.

I was wondering if one could get very a good condition C3 for under $7.5k?

Last edited by corvetteBlack; 01-20-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:12 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

With cash in hand a savvy vette shopper might find a later c3 in pretty good shape for 7k but if you don't know what to look at any c3 could be a money pit nightmare,
In general in the sale section here the cars are likely pretty nice or the ad is honest, people sort of know each other here and if someone had a turd overpriced on here someone would likely call them out on it...so in general cars on here will have prices up there but asking isn't getting...did you read the sticky on buying a c3
Nope , not many on the road people are spoiled for different reasons and few of us daily drive our c3s

Last edited by The13Bats; 01-20-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:53 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

It is possible to find a serviceable C3 for 7.5K, but you could also spend that and then find the car has numerous issues that costs lots of money to fix. I would advise you to do some research, but here are a few rules of thumb:

1. Generally speaking, the car you are looking for will probably be like a 74-82. These cars still have not seen the value increases like a 68-72 and to a lesser extent the 73.

2. Generally speaking, Corvettes are more valuable (and expensive) if they have original engines and transmissions.

3. There are several types of Corvette buyers out there. Their buying habits can influence pricing:

a. Buyers who are interested in restoring the cars or buying “pure cars” that can be judged in car NCRS or other shows. These people will pay a premium for the “correct” car.

b. Buyers who just want a nice Corvette but don’t care about the engine and tranny being original or the car being in showroom condition. The cars that these buyers purchase tend to be some of the lower end of the price scale for drivable cars. (this is probably your market.)

c. There are also buys who tend to buy the cars described in “b.” who intend to use the car as a platform for a custom car or a resto mod. In the forst 3 examples, the car needs to be at least mechanically OK.

d. The last type of buyer is buying the car to do a full blown restoration and often pays for a basket case that has a good vin number. For example it may be an early big block car with a close ratio 4 speed that will be worth some money when it is done. These cars run the gamut on pricing depending on the rarity of the car.

4. The key thing I think you need to do is find a car with good bones. (frame and birdcage) The engine will probably be a replacement or a high miles engine. Factor in the cost of a rebuild ir replacement if the engine is suspect.

These are only a few of my ideas, but there is a sticky that has some really good stuff about buying a C3 Corvette and a lot of threads. Also there are numerous threads devoted to value of C3s on here. I will say this, if the deal sound too good to be true, it probably is.

Good Luck with our search.
The following 3 users liked this post by crawfish333:
corvetteBlack (01-21-2017), FireManVette1987 (04-27-2020), Richard Daugird (01-24-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 10:37 PM
corvetteBlack
Advanced

Thanks for the advice. First thing when I arrived in the US is to look for a American made car that met these requirements:
1) A sports car
2) A classic (Where I'm from - the UK - a car over 22 years old is generally considered a classic)
3) Looks cool
4) manual transmission
5) A car that would significantly in value within the next 10 years (an investment)
6) Reliable as a daily driver

I bought a C4 last year August and it's been my only car and daily driver. It's been pretty reliable, I put back about $2500 into it partly because I respect any car I own and treat cars right and partly because a few things needed replacing (alternator, brake master cylinder, battery...). I managed to achieve points 1,2,3,4 and 6 but maybe not 5.

Funny enough people in Europe NEVER really hear about Corvettes, let alone see them, so I thought I was a Mustang guy until I saw my C4 to be parked with a for sale sign. I was mystified. I had shortlisted a Mustang, Pontiac trans-am, Datsun 240Z, Porsche 944, and a few other cars until I saw the Corvette.

Now 7 months down the line I am thinking I would prefer a C3 because the body styling is worlds better than the C4. The best looking Vettes are probably the C2's and C3's, C4 was an odd-ball (even though C5's and C6's look very much like evolved C4's).

Styling wise it's easy to get tired of the C4 because the styling is similar to many 80's sports cars, the C3 however was unique from day one and and still is today, and will always be. I can see why a lot of C3's fetch $20k and above even though I think their price inflation time has come too early. Even though I own the C4 and am becoming a C4 enthusiast I don't think the average C4 will ever be worth that much, maybe I'm just skeptical.

Originally Posted by crawfish333
=
4. The key thing I think you need to do is find a car with good bones. (frame and birdcage) The engine will probably be a replacement or a high miles engine. Factor in the cost of a rebuild ir replacement if the engine is suspect.
You have given me an idea, becauses C4's are currently dirt cheap and because the engine on mine is kind of solid I would be glad if I had the parking space and cash lying around to buy the bare body of a C3, paint it up real good and then put the body on my C4 if that's even possible lol.

Anyways I'll keep looking, I've already learnt that old cars can be money pits so I'll be careful, after all I'm trying to save money while I'm in the US and could end up spending thousands on my Vette hobby

Last edited by corvetteBlack; 01-20-2017 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:42 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

It is possible to find a serviceable C3 for 7.5K, but you could also spend that and then find the car has numerous issues that costs lots of money to fix. I would advise you to do some research, but here are a few rules of thumb:

1. Generally speaking, the car you are looking for will probably be like a 74-82. These cars still have not seen the value increases like a 68-72 and to a lesser extent the 73.

2. Generally speaking, Corvettes are more valuable (and expensive) if they have original engines and transmissions.

3. There are several types of Corvette buyers out there. Their buying habits can influence pricing:

a. Buyers who are interested in restoring the cars or buying “pure cars” that can be judged in car NCRS or other shows. These people will pay a premium for the “correct” car.

b. Buyers who just want a nice Corvette but don’t care about the engine and tranny being original or the car being in showroom condition. The cars that these buyers purchase tend to be some of the lower end of the price scale for drivable cars. (this is probably your market.)

c. There are also buys who tend to buy the cars described in “b.” who intend to use the car as a platform for a custom car or a resto mod. In the forst 3 examples, the car needs to be at least mechanically OK.

d. The last type of buyer is buying the car to do a full blown restoration and often pays for a basket case that has a good vin number. For example it may be an early big block car with a close ratio 4 speed that will be worth some money when it is done. These cars run the gamut on pricing depending on the rarity of the car.
After watching BJ for 3 days, restomods are selling double the $$ of the NCRS cars. Blows my mind.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:54 AM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

I haven't been watching but I think I know what you mean. Some of the really high end resto mods will be crazy expensive. But in reality those cars are really new cars built from scratch using a Corvette platform. I like to look at them, but they are out of the stratosphere as far as affordability for me. But there are a lot of shade tree guys modding cars that are nice but not like those examples that are fairly cheap on the resale market.

On the other hand, go find an original L88....

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
After watching BJ for 3 days, restomods are selling double the $$ of the NCRS cars. Blows my mind.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:08 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,295 Likes on 3,920 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

the chrome bumper cars were made for 5 years and can be considered more desirable for their uniqueness so the price for what you describe usually starts around $15k in the northeast for a coupe with little to no rust due to the high usage of salt on the roads, options, big block and convertible add to that. Down in the warmer southern states you have abetter less rusty selection so the price can be lower. For what you describe I would think something from 78 or later could be easily found. I wouuld start looking at the body style you ant , then go from there. And read the 10 things you should know thread
Old 01-21-2017, 12:46 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by corvetteBlack
Thanks for the advice. First thing when I arrived in the US is to look for a American made car that met these requirements:
1) A sports car
2) A classic (Where I'm from - the UK - a car over 22 years old is generally considered a classic)
3) Looks cool
4) manual transmission
5) A car that would significantly in value within the next 10 years (an investment)
"I managed to achieve points 1,2,3,4 and 6 but maybe not 5."

Honestly -I don't think you will see "significant increase in value" in a C3 either. I'd like to be wrong....

If you do the work yourself- you might break even.

Talk of restomods? Yep- they are crossing the block at big money- but bigger money was spent on building them.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:14 PM
530planeman
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts

I haven't been watching but I think I know what you mean. Some of the really high end resto mods will be crazy expensive. But in reality those cars are really new cars built from scratch using a Corvette platform. I like to look at them, but they are out of the stratosphere as far as affordability for me. But there are a lot of shade tree guys modding cars that are nice but not like those examples that are fairly cheap on the resale market.

On the other hand, go find an original L88....
Yes a 69 427/435 with side pipes and tank sticker went for $49k
I have 68 L88 project for sale if interested
Old 01-21-2017, 03:33 PM
Gold Dragon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 172 Likes on 141 Posts

Wish I could have paid under 7500$ for my 69. Thinking those days are gone. The C-3 cars are fewer and far between here on the West coast. But seem to be plentiful in the east. Why?
Old 01-21-2017, 03:54 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

I was wondering why the price is that high,

I've seen them parked at my mechanics garage but never seen a C3 on the road.

I was wondering if one could get very a good condition C3 for under $7.5k?
1st Hi, I'm just north of you.

Have you priced 68/69 Camaros are Chevelles lately? They are also pricey.

I see some C3's here and there during the summer months. Mine only comes out when it's warmer and not raining.

I know several guy around me with C3's parked in the garage.

I can't image what a $7,500 C3 would look like in the bar area.
I would focus on a 75 or older for smog reasons.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:58 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

I took this on the 2014 Rainbow Run along the north coast. All Corvettes welcome.

The following users liked this post:
VCuomo (02-17-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 04:52 PM
530planeman
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by ddawson
I took this on the 2014 Rainbow Run along the north coast. All Corvettes welcome.

Nice
Reminds me when I used to drive my LT 1 to College of San Mateo
Wes
Old 01-21-2017, 07:00 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Ummmm.... these two are usually not the same car. The "daily driver" gets mileage, wear & tear, broken parts, etc.
The "investment" sits in your garage and collects dust until you die, and your kids decide to sell it!
Old 01-21-2017, 07:45 PM
ramair_bryan
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

...............Get on the road to citizenship right away.
Or else..................we'll give ya the heave ho.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:07 AM
corvetteBlack
Advanced

Originally Posted by ramair_bryan
...............Get on the road to citizenship right away.
Or else..................we'll give ya the heave ho.
I'm actually torn between staying in the US or not, I was born in Zimbabwe then my family immigrated to England in my teens and now I'm living/working in America, when you've worked and lived in a few countries your ideas of patriotism or views on nationality become very flexible . If I take the citizenship route then I'll be a citizen of 3 countries and 3 continents, which would be a major advantage in terms of access to opportunities and for my kids (when I have kids in the future) but there are also drawbacks like having to declare taxes to multiple tax authorities. I do feel like returning to England would be the way to go even though America has hundreds more opportunities to offer in terms of a rich life/social experience and opportunities.

It's a tough choice. Working in tech I'm a bit of an introvert so I'm finding it hard to make friends so this might contribute to me not looking at the US long term... time will tell

It's a shame though that ladies have no interest in the Vette

Last edited by corvetteBlack; 01-22-2017 at 02:09 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:09 AM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

First welcome to the U.S.! I hope you are enjoying your time here. If you would consider joining a local Corvette club I think you will find that it will lead to many friends.

Get notified of new replies

To Reasonable price for C3?

Old 01-22-2017, 09:18 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Yes you should make yourself knowledgable about vettes and join a club and go to shows. You will meet like minded people which could lead to friendships.

you dont have to be a citizen to work and live here, the work visa is welcome. Its illegal persons that turn to crime we dont need around here. I welcome anyone that wants to work honestly and hard for their money. I HATE liars and white collar criminals/politicians the most as they dont necessarily pay for their crimes the way a murderer would, even if their crime causes a death or another person to loose their life savings/retirement. They deserve to meet Mr. Chippy.

I welcome you sir and good luck with your search. As to why there is so many vettes in the northest may be that they are garaged for 5-6 months of the year. The school I work at has 4 teachers that own vettes and none of them get driven much at all. For vette to population ratio New Jersey and New York seem to have vettes and parts coming out of their ears. But the curse of rust is higher here

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 01-22-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:22 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

If you do find your vette and decide to head back to England, save to ship it back with you, many people have bought cars from Europe and had them shipped back. It would definitely increase in value at that point
Old 01-22-2017, 03:03 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

I really don't want this to come across the wrong way, but I find these conversations funny. The first statement is "why can't I find one that is a reasonable price", then the follow-on statement is "when will it climb in value".

I ALWAYS want EVERYONE to afford the car they want. I looked for a long time and found one that was perhaps a little less desirable, but has been a VERY solid foundation for my dreams and desires.

That said, I'm constantly surprised by the relatively LOW values the Corvette has compared to its more common contemporaries. Show my a running, driving V8 1969 Camaro or 1967 Mustang for under $20k...you may find one, but they are few and far between. And FORGET Mopar...those things are off the charts.

Consider that there were TEN TIMES (or more) the number of Mustangs and Camaros produced in a given year relative to the Corvette, and that is the basis for my confusion. If quantity drives price, there should be more of those. Dunno.

I can say pretty confidently, though, that the C3 is the next C2 as far as price. The Chrome Bumper prices are consistently rising (good for me) and the other cars are also rising, the amounts being relative to their desirability.

Stick cars are hen's teeth. Tough to find. They are always going to be more expensive. Combine that with decent condition and a handful of option, and you're talking about $15k minimum for about any running/driving example that isn't a rust bucket.

I very much hope you find the car you're looking for. Fun hobby. Fun cars. And they're not particularly expensive to work on. Nothing like the European brands of the era where the parts prices are many multiples more expensive.

Really hope to see you on these pages with a car, asking us about how exactly to best contort your body to get under the dash and replace the tach cable. Then we'll know "you've arrived".

K

Quick Reply: Reasonable price for C3?