C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sound deading

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 04:08 PM
rogerleblanc
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sound deading

how do I eliminate road noise in the cabin of my 2012 corvette coupe
Old 02-18-2017, 04:50 PM
SuperTom
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

peel n seal is an inexpensive way

Last edited by SuperTom; 02-19-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:22 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

First of all, make sure it is road noise, rather than sway bar end links, axle nuts, loose/worn shocks, CRAPPY TIRES!, targa top, "rocking" chair/driver's seat, etc.

The forum has easy, simple fixes for all the above, and I mean really simple. Just do a search for any of them.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:45 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

/
Originally Posted by buckmeister2
First of all, make sure it is road noise, rather than sway bar end links, axle nuts, loose/worn shocks, CRAPPY TIRES!, targa top, "rocking" chair/driver's seat, etc.

The forum has easy, simple fixes for all the above, and I mean really simple. Just do a search for any of them.
Nothing will stop all of the noise, but it can be greatly reduced for sure.
1) Dependiong on your tires, and how much they are worn, is the "major" contributor of road noise for sure. (What tires are you running with?)
2) Sound deadening material such as Dynamat, or similar products will deaden any outside noises coming through the plastic liners or body panels to the interior.
3) just ahead of the rear wheels, is a cavity void with a small bag of insulation to try to alleviate the noise carry from the rear tires, but it's too little to actually prevent all of it. - filling that void with an extra large bag, or other insulation will help some.
4) A rear partition will help keep some of the noise in the rear hatch, rspecially if you also have the cover for the hatch window closing off the rear completely.

Good Luck in the endeavour.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:32 PM
montman
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerleblanc
how do I eliminate road noise in the cabin of my 2012 corvette coupe
It will never completely go away. My car is nearly as quiet as my son's Cadillac XTS and definitely quieter than our Honda Oddity van. This made a big difference but added about 50 pounds to the car.

Inside doors.

Inside hatch and behind seats

Inside wheel wells behind liner

I used Noico 50 and some 80 mil inside car and Peel and Seal outside. Dynamat is way over priced as are some of the other products - in my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
True Knight (02-23-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 10:00 AM
88redconvert
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
/

Nothing will stop all of the noise, but it can be greatly reduced for sure.
1) Dependiong on your tires, and how much they are worn, is the "major" contributor of road noise for sure. (What tires are you running with?)
2) Sound deadening material such as Dynamat, or similar products will deaden any outside noises coming through the plastic liners or body panels to the interior.
3) just ahead of the rear wheels, is a cavity void with a small bag of insulation to try to alleviate the noise carry from the rear tires, but it's too little to actually prevent all of it. - filling that void with an extra large bag, or other insulation will help some.
4) A rear partition will help keep some of the noise in the rear hatch, rspecially if you also have the cover for the hatch window closing off the rear completely.

Good Luck in the endeavour.
Where exactly is the cavity you describe in #3 above? How big is it and what do you put in it? Is there one in the center or one in front of each tire?
Thanks

Last edited by 88redconvert; 02-19-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:03 AM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

My car is loud. Gutted cats. 408 cid. Corsa sports.

IMHO..... and, I've got it all...... dynamat, an acoustical mat in the back and behind the seats..... nothing really works as advertised.

A waste of time money.

Just sayin'
Old 02-19-2017, 12:02 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by 88redconvert
Where exactly is the cavity you describe in #3 above? How big is it and what do you put in it? Is there one in the center or one in front of each tire?
Thanks
If you remove the rear wheel liners, you will then see the cavity in the front of the wheels and the bag of insulation (wrapped in black plastic) put there from the factory.
As mentioned, with the rear liners removed, you can install Noico type material above the liner, on the metal/plastic panels in that cavity, and put more bagged insulation to fully engulf that cavity to try to prevent as much tire noise sound travel as possible from outside to inside the vehicle.
There is no end to how much you can use, but as mentioned, the noise will never be completely eraticated.
Here is a pic to remove the rear wheel liner.

The following 2 users liked this post by 4SUMERZ:
88redconvert (02-19-2017), Vet Interested (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 02:02 PM
montman
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 88redconvert
Thanks
Here's a picture of the cavity area behind the passengers side door. There's one on the driver's side too. I lined it with Peel and Seal then put the factory foam roll back in. All this sound proofing works great for tire and road noise. It even helps keep traffic noise out. But if anyone is trying to stop exhaust drone or muffler noise with this method I think they will be disappointed. Also, if you do this area, seal the gap between the lower panel and the upper panel so that you don't have tiny pebbles showing in the gap all the time. Best regards

Last edited by montman; 02-19-2017 at 02:14 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by montman:
88redconvert (02-19-2017), buckmeister2 (02-20-2017), Vet Interested (04-17-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 02:45 PM
88redconvert
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
If you remove the rear wheel liners, you will then see the cavity in the front of the wheels and the bag of insulation (wrapped in black plastic) put there from the factory.
As mentioned, with the rear liners removed, you can install Noico type material above the liner, on the metal/plastic panels in that cavity, and put more bagged insulation to fully engulf that cavity to try to prevent as much tire noise sound travel as possible from outside to inside the vehicle.
There is no end to how much you can use, but as mentioned, the noise will never be completely eraticated.
Here is a pic to remove the rear wheel liner.

good info...thanks
buckmeister2 (02-20-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 02:47 PM
88redconvert
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by montman

Here's a picture of the cavity area behind the passengers side door. There's one on the driver's side too. I lined it with Peel and Seal then put the factory foam roll back in. All this sound proofing works great for tire and road noise. It even helps keep traffic noise out. But if anyone is trying to stop exhaust drone or muffler noise with this method I think they will be disappointed. Also, if you do this area, seal the gap between the lower panel and the upper panel so that you don't have tiny pebbles showing in the gap all the time. Best regards
good info....thanks
Old 02-20-2017, 12:04 AM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Man, no other forum is going to give yuo this kind of info. thanks for this.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:00 AM
Travlee
Race Director

Received 1,121 Likes on 610 Posts

i just ordered the BlockIt mat from TKO performance.... too lazy to pull carpet and plastics, will see how well it works (should be delivered today) and report back
The following 3 users liked this post by Travlee:
bgspot (02-23-2017), TKO Performance (02-23-2017), True Knight (02-23-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 08:26 PM
Travlee
Race Director

alrighty, finally got it in. obviously super simple to put install, in a 10 min trip to the store... noticeably quieter. i have LTH, high flow cats, and factory npp. to me it sounded like i had the flaps closed.. maybe even more quiet than that. one thing that i don't like, (easy fix and technically a non issue) is that unless you have a mat to cover it i could see it ripping easily with things you place in the hatch. if you have the Lloyds mat, i think you would have the perfect combo.

Tomorrow the car is going to have the Borla ATAK installed, so when transporting the exhaust to the shop i will take out the BlockIT. after the exhaust i will get to see what it sounds like without the mat and then with it later. is it worth the $230?? to me yeah, because i am lazy don't want to pull all the carpet out.... so with that being said, money well spent to me

Last edited by Travlee; 02-24-2017 at 08:28 PM.
TKO Performance (02-26-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 09:04 PM
ppage27
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am installing the Noico right now. Did the trunk today but not sure if I should pull carpet up under the seats. Seats are removed atm.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:06 PM
Travlee
Race Director

if they are out, half the work is done
Old 02-24-2017, 09:09 PM
ppage27
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Travlee
if they are out, half the work is done
agreed but not sure if I have seen many posts over the years referring to that location as a "troubled area". Always see talk about transmission heat but not much about road noise. I got an extra box so I guess I should stop being lazy and just do it....

Get notified of new replies

To sound deading

Old 02-24-2017, 09:27 PM
Travlee
Race Director

i am thinking of doing the tunnel brace, which is supposed to reduce the tunnel heat
Old 02-24-2017, 11:18 PM
ben z
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I guess it's all relative. Aside from the exhaust note (which I happen to like), my '08 seems quiet as a tomb compared to my '05 Carrera. Wind, tires, road bumps, rattles...all of it is twice as loud as the Vette.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:01 AM
TKO Performance
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 279 Likes on 222 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Travlee
alrighty, finally got it in. obviously super simple to put install, in a 10 min trip to the store... noticeably quieter. i have LTH, high flow cats, and factory npp. to me it sounded like i had the flaps closed.. maybe even more quiet than that. one thing that i don't like, (easy fix and technically a non issue) is that unless you have a mat to cover it i could see it ripping easily with things you place in the hatch. if you have the Lloyds mat, i think you would have the perfect combo.

Tomorrow the car is going to have the Borla ATAK installed, so when transporting the exhaust to the shop i will take out the BlockIT. after the exhaust i will get to see what it sounds like without the mat and then with it later. is it worth the $230?? to me yeah, because i am lazy don't want to pull all the carpet out.... so with that being said, money well spent to me
Glad it arrived. If your impressed with the Blockit now, there is a chance it will get better. Because we roll the blockit to ship it, sometimes the pieces have a slight curl to them. Once they settle down and lay completely flat, you get better noise reduction/damping.
The top layer is surprisingly tougher then you think. If you try to pick at it you will find it won't tear. But yes, many do place a Lloyd mat (or similar) on it for simply the esthetics.

Thank you for your business, and your kind words and for the time you took to post!

Ed

Quick Reply: sound deading