C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corsa Xtreme install

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 02:03 PM
dylans
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Corsa Xtreme install

I ordered a Corsa Xtreme and it's being delivered tomorrow. I can't find a shop so far that will remove the stock TI setup without cutting it. I just got off of the phone with another one that said they'll most likely want to cut it unless they can verify it'll come out easily. I made an appointment to have them look at it Friday. I don't really trust them even if they figure out how to remove my old system in one piece(s), but I'm running out of options. Three shops want to cut it, and one quoted me $250 to install and they said they don't disassemble to remove, only cut. I even tried a local Chevy dealer, no go.

I know it can be done by me, but I don't think I have the right equipment to do it safely. I've got a 2 ton floor jack that has a max height of 23 1/4". I've got 4 jackstands but they don't go as high as I'd need.

I'd love to do it myself. I feel like the new Corsa will sit in it's box waiting for a shop that can handle the job of removal without cutting!
Old 03-22-2017, 02:15 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 971 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

All I had to do was drop the rear sway bar.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:16 PM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

It comes out really easy on a lift. In fact, I'd be surprised if it was actually easier to cut with the car in the air. Sounds like these shops haven't worked on a C5 before. I'd pick the one that seemed the most competent and hang out while they pull the old exhaust...or ask if you can just do it while they work on something else for a few minutes.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:27 PM
dylans
Instructor

Originally Posted by Smoken1
I know about the sway bar being the only disassembly required outside of the actual exhaust system. I've tried to explain that to 2 of the shops, and they didn't seem to like being told how to do their jobs. I won't be going to them.

Originally Posted by DetroitPlac
It comes out really easy on a lift. In fact, I'd be surprised if it was actually easier to cut with the car in the air. Sounds like these shops haven't worked on a C5 before. I'd pick the one that seemed the most competent and hang out while they pull the old exhaust...or ask if you can just do it while they work on something else for a few minutes.
That's all I need is a lift. I'm more than competent with a set of tools and a problem to tackle. I hate taking my vehicles to a shop for anything. But I don't want to gamble with the safety of doing it myself. So far my only access to a lift is through a shop doing the removal and install. The shop I'm seeing Friday is at least willing to assess the car to see if they can pull the old without cutting. I'll explain the procedure to them if they can't figure it out, whether they want to do it the right way or not remains to be seen.

Last edited by dylans; 03-22-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:36 PM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dylans
I know about the sway bar being the only disassembly required outside of the actual exhaust system. I've tried to explain that to 2 of the shops, and they didn't seem to like being told how to do their jobs. I won't be going to them.

That's all I need is a lift. I'm more than competent with a set of tools and a problem to tackle. I hate taking my vehicles to a shop for anything. But I don't want to gamble with the safety of doing it myself. So far my only access to a lift is through a shop doing the removal and install. The shop I'm seeing Friday is at least willing to assess the car to see if they can pull the old without cutting. I'll explain the procedure to them if they can't figure it out, whether they want to do it the right way or not remains to be seen.
Oh man, I know all too well. I hate taking my car to a shop. So much so that I spent $800 on a used kwik lift just to do my header/catback install a few years back. Sold it the next spring for the same amount, so it was worth it.

Maybe there's a local Corvette club you could connect with to find someone that has a lift you could use? It should take less than an hour with a lift to remove and install the new.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:44 PM
dylans
Instructor

Originally Posted by DetroitPlac
Oh man, I know all too well. I hate taking my car to a shop. So much so that I spent $800 on a used kwik lift just to do my header/catback install a few years back. Sold it the next spring for the same amount, so it was worth it.

Maybe there's a local Corvette club you could connect with to find someone that has a lift you could use? It should take less than an hour with a lift to remove and install the new.
I've considered buying a lift, but I don't have the space currently. A smaller one that is mobile won't go high enough for this. I'll try the local clubs, thanks for the idea!
Old 03-22-2017, 06:36 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,307 Likes on 13,978 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Smoken1
That should be all you have to do if the car is on a lift. It's not rocket science and a competent shop should be able to make the swap easily.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:44 PM
dylans
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
That should be all you have to do if the car is on a lift. It's not rocket science and a competent shop should be able to make the swap easily.
I'm hoping this shop is competent. I don't know why so far they've been so adamant that they'll only cut old stuff off. It's been driving me crazy.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:17 PM
luffy
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

How about waiting until a quiet weekend and using a concrete loading dock at a building nearby? You only need a few tools and you can back the car to the edge.
The following users liked this post:
dylans (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 07:43 PM
dylans
Instructor

Originally Posted by luffy
How about waiting until a quiet weekend and using a concrete loading dock at a building nearby? You only need a few tools and you can back the car to the edge.

That's pure GENIUS! The only trouble would be finding one I could drive onto...
Old 03-22-2017, 07:57 PM
BAT
Le Mans Master

Received 1,227 Likes on 539 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I've read you need 3 feet to be able to clear the stock exhaust on removal without cutting. I'll be installing the Xtreme on my C5 Vert soon, but I'll be using a friends lift at his shop. As mentioned, 4 bolts for the sway bar, then the flanges where the pipes meet the H pipe. The hardest part is twisting and turning the old system to get the over the axle pipes to clear. Cutting is just the lazy (and quicker) way.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:03 PM
dylans
Instructor

Originally Posted by BAT
I've read you need 3 feet to be able to clear the stock exhaust on removal without cutting. I'll be installing the Xtreme on my C5 Vert soon, but I'll be using a friends lift at his shop. As mentioned, 4 bolts for the sway bar, then the flanges where the pipes meet the H pipe. The hardest part is twisting and turning the old system to get the over the axle pipes to clear. Cutting is just the lazy (and quicker) way.

Same, I've read about 36 in. Thats as high as the top of my rear deck, scary high on a jack and stands.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:32 PM
BAT
Le Mans Master

Same, I've read about 36 in. Thats as high as the top of my rear deck, scary high on a jack and stands.
I agree, which is why mine is still in the box too. Had it not been for this stupid snow (we got a fresh 14.4" last week!) then I would have had been to my friends shop and back already. 3' is a wee bit too high for my comfort level with me under the car....pulling and yanking!
Old 03-22-2017, 08:34 PM
dylans
Instructor

Originally Posted by BAT
I agree, which is why mine is still in the box too. Had it not been for this stupid snow (we got a fresh 14.4" last week!) then I would have had been to my friends shop and back already. 3' is a wee bit too high for my comfort level with me under the car....pulling and yanking!
What's snow? It's been 90 here for 2 weeks, mid 80's this weekend. Perfect weather to be wrenching on the vette and driving it around. Roads are hot and dry
Old 03-22-2017, 08:47 PM
BAT
Le Mans Master

What's snow? It's been 90 here for 2 weeks, mid 80's this weekend. Perfect weather to be wrenching on the vette and driving it around. Roads are hot and dry
No body likes a smart ***. I'll remember this come August when it's hotter than Hell in the desert and I'm enjoying my top down, listening to the sweet tone of my Corsa howl as I drive down the road!
Old 03-22-2017, 10:43 PM
dylans
Instructor

Originally Posted by BAT
No body likes a smart ***. I'll remember this come August when it's hotter than Hell in the desert and I'm enjoying my top down, listening to the sweet tone of my Corsa howl as I drive down the road!
You got me there! 118 degree stretches can take a toll. Being a native to the area, it doesn't bother me. My Corsas will still howl anyway.

...Although, some tint and a bottle of water wetter might be necessary.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:49 PM
dylans
Instructor

Install DONE! I found a small shop that was willing to do it. They charged me $80 and it went well. I need to do a little bit of tip alignment but i'm happy. It sounds so nice, scary loud under hard acceleration.

Get notified of new replies

To Corsa Xtreme install

Old 03-23-2017, 10:51 PM
dylans
Instructor

Wow the tips are very off. From the top looking down, the passenger side is further under the bumper and pointing toward the midline more. The driver side sticks out more and points toward the midline less. I'll put some pictures up tomorrow. Gonna get under there and loosen everything. Gotta change the diff fluid anyway...
Old 03-24-2017, 08:35 AM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Fortunately, now that it's on you shouldn't have much issue straightening everything out.
The following users liked this post:
dylans (03-24-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 09:24 AM
BAT
Le Mans Master

Now I can't wait to put mine on!

Where's the sound clip? Where's the pics?

Quick Reply: Corsa Xtreme install