Southern California Southern California

Things to know BEFORE you modifying your car

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 05:32 PM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Things to know BEFORE you modifying your car

Are you eager to modify your car? Great!! First, let's help you understand exactly what you're doing to your vehicle, what to expect from your vehicle, and what you'll ultimately sacrifice in doing so.

-Are you willing to sacrifice driveability for more horsepower or better performance? Basic modifications like Intake or exhaust typically won't cause any sort of issues. When you start adding cam packages, nitrous or forced induction, you start to compromise certain aspects of your vehicle. A cam, for example, depending on the size will make the car "buck" or lurch while driving at low RPM.

-Understand that maintenance needs to be performed at more frequent intervals. Your car isn't stock anymore and is made to perform at a higher level than stock. This means oil changes and regular service schedules that the factory recommends go out the window. Always consult your shop of choice regarding this. IT'S EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!!

-Understand that your vehicle now has a higher likelihood of failure. You're pushing the engine harder and with that comes a higher possibility of catastrophic damage and more wear and tear. Do not expect your engine to last 100k+ miles with two turbos hanging from it. Always be cautious and treat your car with the utmost respect.

-Most modifications are not street or smog legal! If you want a twin turbo setup with a huge cam and a built engine, don't expect to pass smog or be exempt from tickets. These vehicles, in the eyes of the law, cannot be operated on the street legally. Ask your shop of choice if they have street legal setup, should that be a concern for you.

-With more horsepower comes other factors to consider. Your car may need different, and more expensive fuel, tires and parts that need to be changed more frequently. Your gas mileage will more than likely drop and your tires will not last as long as a harder compound would.

PLEASE consider all of this before you drop your vehicle off. If you aren't willing to sacrifice some aspects of you vehicle for better performance, you might want to hold off on any modifications till you know exactly what you're getting into. Your shop of choice should have all the answers. If they don't, time to find a new shop!
Old 11-04-2015, 01:57 AM
Lpe403
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hear, Hear.

You pay to play.

And remember: Cheap + Reliable ain't Fast
Cheap + Fast ain't Reliable
Fast + Reliable ain't Cheap.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:20 AM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

"Yeah.....well , that's just your opinion , man............." the dude, famous hollywood slacker

Nice to hear from a good shop.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:07 AM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Very well said Ryne.

Modifying your vehicle is a trade off, no one gets everything. Add this but slightly sacrifice that or in some cases extremely sacrifice. Its a trade off. It is very important that customer are informed and under stand this before getting involved in modifications of a their performance vehicle.

Last edited by American Heritage; 11-04-2015 at 05:12 AM.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:36 AM
Josh@AandASuperchargers
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 183 Likes on 143 Posts

The unfortunate part of all this is that most guys have to learn the hard way before they "get it." You can try to explain what our years of experience has taught us, but it just doesn't sink in most of the time. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.
Old 11-07-2015, 02:46 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

All True Ryne!

I started modifying my 98 C5 from the day I bought it. I know all too well that these are hard facts that need to be taken seriously. While I don't regret the things I've done to my cars, it's been a mix of good and bad from the time I started...
Old 11-16-2015, 02:35 AM
1 BLOWN V8
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ryne,

Much respect for what you said. Not trying to sell anything. Making someone think before they pull the trigger.

On a side note, I need to set up a appointment to bring in the C5 to figure out why it rides so harsh with the coil overs I got from Reid and a noise coming from under the vehicle under the shifter assy.

Thanks Ken

Last edited by 1 BLOWN V8; 11-16-2015 at 02:36 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Things to know BEFORE you modifying your car

Quick Reply: Things to know BEFORE you modifying your car