Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

Weekly Meet: North Dallas, Addison, Carrollton, Colony, W Plano, Allen, Frisco, Etc.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 11:03 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Harry
Ed, it looks awesome,,but then the others do not know what it looked like before,,noticeable improvement on paint but the interior is a WOW! Good job!

Dirty Harry "Lee" -Torch Red 03 Supercharged
North Dallas Corvette Club / [Founding Member]
http://ndcctx.com/
Thanks, Lee. I love the new seats; it's like sitting in a different car. I had to repair the bolster on the driver's seat frame, though. When I took the seat apart the bolster fell on the floor. I went to Home Depot and picked up a piece of sheet metal, cut it to fit on both sides of the bolster, and drilled 17 holes for pop rivets (it needs them too) through the bolster and the frame to secure the sheet metal to both sides. Then I covered the bolster end, sheet metal, and rivet heads with some old fabric I had to prevent it from cutting the new seat skin like the old one was. You can't even tell it's broken, and I think it's probably the strongest part of the seat now.

You don't want to know what the foam from the driver's seat looked like when I pulled it out. I'm surprised I didn't get any of the wire supports wedged in uncomfortable places every time I sat down. I was literally sitting directly on the wire frame because the foam was cut completely through.

It sure is nice to open my door and not see a huge hole in the seat base.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:41 PM
Dirty Harry
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Thanks, Lee. I love the new seats; it's like sitting in a different car. I had to repair the bolster on the driver's seat frame, though. When I took the seat apart the bolster fell on the floor. I went to Home Depot and picked up a piece of sheet metal, cut it to fit on both sides of the bolster, and drilled 17 holes for pop rivets (it needs them too) through the bolster and the frame to secure the sheet metal to both sides. Then I covered the bolster end, sheet metal, and rivet heads with some old fabric I had to prevent it from cutting the new seat skin like the old one was. You can't even tell it's broken, and I think it's probably the strongest part of the seat now.

You don't want to know what the foam from the driver's seat looked like when I pulled it out. I'm surprised I didn't get any of the wire supports wedged in uncomfortable places every time I sat down. I was literally sitting directly on the wire frame because the foam was cut completely through.

It sure is nice to open my door and not see a huge hole in the seat base.
You sure did a good job Ed , not many of us would attack such a task but I know, for now, your funds are limited but that will soon end, in the mean time you are learning a lot about these C5's we have Also learning GM makes some crap that goes in them Looking forward to seeing your handy work in person.

Last edited by Dirty Harry; 08-30-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:51 PM
Dirty Harry
Le Mans Master

A Reminder guys/girls, we are not having the, "Meet Up", this Sunday due to Labor Day and a lot have other plans going on. Looking forward to seeing all the following Saturday and Sunday September 6 & 7
Y'all have a great Holiday

Old 08-30-2014, 01:58 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

You sure did a good job Ed , not many of us would attack such a task but I know, for now, your funds are limited but that will soon end, in the mean time you are learning a lot about these C5's we have Also learning GM makes some crap that goes in them Looking forward to seeing your handy work in person.

Thanks, Lee. It really wasn't as hard as it would seem at first. It was a lot of work, but I just took my time and triple-checked everything. I even learned a couple of ways to use steam for bringing life back to old foam and getting out wrinkles in leather. I'll hopefully see you guys next weekend.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:00 PM
acscogginjr
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Anybody up for an evening cruise?

Austin
Old 08-30-2014, 02:46 PM
shreded1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good T Shirt for you I would need a little more work out to sport that shirt to go with the car,,

On another note , I stopped by 21st yesterday and talked to Matt. He said it will be a few more weeks on your engine build. It appears not only was he backed up in the 21st shop, they are backed up at the engine builder All good things come in time though , so be patient if you can

Thanks for the update. I emailed him but, haven't heard back. It looks like Oct 3rd before I will see with my travel schedule.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:15 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by acscogginjr

Austin
I would love to if I didn't have a final paper and presentation due Monday, and didn't have a project team of two instead of the five we started with. The class started with 10 students and is now down to five so I get to help make up the difference this weekend.

Only one class left. Only one class left. Only one class left. Only one class left....
Old 08-30-2014, 05:03 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Is anyone going to C&C next weekend? It looks like Rylie is going fishing with grandma and grandpa so I'll have the day free for once.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:25 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

I'll be there!
Old 08-30-2014, 05:28 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
I'll be there!
Sweet! Two is enough to start a caravan! Who else is in?
Old 08-30-2014, 06:04 PM
Dirty Harry
Le Mans Master

Is anyone going to C&C next weekend? It looks like Rylie is going fishing with grandma and grandpa so I'll have the day free for once.
Hey Ed,
We usually get a group together at our meet up spot , "Whiskey Cake Kitchen" at 5:45-6am and leave at 6:10 sharp to cruise over to C&C. You and 1993C4LT1 are welcome to join the cruise over with us next Sat. 6th Looking forward to seeing the updates to your car for sure See you then

Old 08-30-2014, 06:16 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Hey Ed,
We usually get a group together at our meet up spot , "Whiskey Cake Kitchen" at 5:45-6am and leave at 6:10 sharp to cruise over to C&C. You and 1993C4LT1 are welcome to join the cruise over with us next Sat. 6th Looking forward to seeing the updates to your car for sure See you then

Thanks Lee! I'll be there; I'm looking forward to getting out with you guys. It's been much too long.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:18 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by acscogginjr

Austin
I would have been down for an evening cruise if I were up there this evening.

I was up in Austin this morning at 7:30 in an attempt to get some tint done. What a trying day this day was. Hahaha.

I don't make appointments before I scope out a place. See the facility, see how clean it is, location, meet the owners, staff, and the guy working on my tint. For me, I don't just toss the keys to just anyone. It may be their business, but it's my car.

So, I strategically planned my attack well. There were three shops that received respectable ratings on YELP and other review-based websites.

Sun Busters (Opens at 8 am),
Sun Tint (Opens at 9 am), and
Austin Window Tint (Opens at 10 am).
I had a fourth in reserve as well, The Best Window Tint shop.

Notice I had them aligned by opening time so that, if I was not impressed with #1, I leisurely drive over to #2 and so on.

So, All businesses are to be open on Saturdays so I get to Sun Busters early, at 7:40. Wait around and wait.....and wait.....At 8:02 I don't see any garage doors opening so I get out so I can sneak a peek inside and come to find a sheet of paper up on the door that says "Will be closed the weekend of...." Yeah, that would be nice to have added that to their phone voice mail message. Ok, no harm, no foul. It is the holiday weekend. I roll out and hit up Mickey D's for breakfast.

After wolfing down a #1 (Saugage, Egg, and Cheese McMuffin and large orange juice) I cruise over to #2, Sun Tint. Great!!! It's open and I am the first to arrive. The bad thing is, I couldn't get my car up into their entry way due to the steep incline. FK!!! The guy is watching me tender the Vette up Mount Everest of an entry way and no dice. I was taking an obtuse angle and STILL scraping my air dam and the angle was frightening enough that I would scrape under the rockers. NO GO. Backed out, waved off the guy like "Too steep" and left. Ok, no biggie. I have two more to go....

Went on to #3. Austin Window Tint. My third pick, but had some good reviews. The only reason I went here last was due to the time they all opened for business. As I was following every detailed turn by my Samsung Galaxy Note 3, I was starting to question the route. I passed what looked like a facility for displaced men and women. Looked like the ghetto to me. So, I felt a bit uneasy travelling through the hood but stil l made my way. When I got down to my final turn, I thought I was going to cross 8-mile into a nice area, but no such luck. The Austin Window Tint facility looked like it was ghetto. Good reviews or not, I am not taking my Vette into some nasty looking building that looks like a chop shop.

So, my last and final attempt was to call the Best Window Tint. Claudia answered the phone and was very helpful. Unfortunately, they were booked, even on a holiday weekend. So, she gave me options and pricing over the phone and it sounds like a good deal.

$200 for driver, passenger, and rear windows in ceramic tint.

Will have to wait to next week. So I left at 1130 am. Otherwise, I would have been down for an evening cruise.

Last edited by WICKEDFRC; 08-31-2014 at 12:21 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:00 AM
Cathole
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A Reminder guys/girls, we are not having the, "Meet Up", this Sunday due to Labor Day and a lot have other plans going on. Looking forward to seeing all the following Saturday and Sunday September 6 & 7
Y'all have a great Holiday

Thank god I checked the forum. I would have been at the meet tonight lol. Have a great Labor Day weekend everyone!
Old 08-31-2014, 12:55 PM
Dirty Harry
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cathole
Thank god I checked the forum. I would have been at the meet tonight lol. Have a great Labor Day weekend everyone!
Sorry about that Dustin! Guess I better make a note on FB too Yeah, we discussed that at the last meet up that you couldn't make.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:32 PM
MBB
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
I would have been down for an evening cruise if I were up there this evening.

I was up in Austin this morning at 7:30 in an attempt to get some tint done. What a trying day this day was. Hahaha.

I don't make appointments before I scope out a place. See the facility, see how clean it is, location, meet the owners, staff, and the guy working on my tint. For me, I don't just toss the keys to just anyone. It may be their business, but it's my car.

So, I strategically planned my attack well. There were three shops that received respectable ratings on YELP and other review-based websites.

Sun Busters (Opens at 8 am),
Sun Tint (Opens at 9 am), and
Austin Window Tint (Opens at 10 am).
I had a fourth in reserve as well, The Best Window Tint shop.

Notice I had them aligned by opening time so that, if I was not impressed with #1, I leisurely drive over to #2 and so on.

So, All businesses are to be open on Saturdays so I get to Sun Busters early, at 7:40. Wait around and wait.....and wait.....At 8:02 I don't see any garage doors opening so I get out so I can sneak a peek inside and come to find a sheet of paper up on the door that says "Will be closed the weekend of...." Yeah, that would be nice to have added that to their phone voice mail message. Ok, no harm, no foul. It is the holiday weekend. I roll out and hit up Mickey D's for breakfast.

After wolfing down a #1 (Saugage, Egg, and Cheese McMuffin and large orange juice) I cruise over to #2, Sun Tint. Great!!! It's open and I am the first to arrive. The bad thing is, I couldn't get my car up into their entry way due to the steep incline. FK!!! The guy is watching me tender the Vette up Mount Everest of an entry way and no dice. I was taking an obtuse angle and STILL scraping my air dam and the angle was frightening enough that I would scrape under the rockers. NO GO. Backed out, waved off the guy like "Too steep" and left. Ok, no biggie. I have two more to go....

Went on to #3. Austin Window Tint. My third pick, but had some good reviews. The only reason I went here last was due to the time they all opened for business. As I was following every detailed turn by my Samsung Galaxy Note 3, I was starting to question the route. I passed what looked like a facility for displaced men and women. Looked like the ghetto to me. So, I felt a bit uneasy travelling through the hood but stil l made my way. When I got down to my final turn, I thought I was going to cross 8-mile into a nice area, but no such luck. The Austin Window Tint facility looked like it was ghetto. Good reviews or not, I am not taking my Vette into some nasty looking building that looks like a chop shop.

So, my last and final attempt was to call the Best Window Tint. Claudia answered the phone and was very helpful. Unfortunately, they were booked, even on a holiday weekend. So, she gave me options and pricing over the phone and it sounds like a good deal.

$200 for driver, passenger, and rear windows in ceramic tint.

Will have to wait to next week. So I left at 1130 am. Otherwise, I would have been down for an evening cruise.

If you're in Dallas at any point go to Tritek...

They tint many of the Dallas Racing cars..they are way worth it.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:31 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

I finally got my door locks and mirrors working again, but I'm still fighting with the windows. Nothing anyone has suggested so far has pinpointed what's stopping them from working. At least I can lock and unlock the car as well as setting the alarm with the key fob again instead of having to use the key to lock it and the fob to set the alarm. It was nice seeing the passenger side mirror working again too, so not all bad. I've already finished my finals so I've got a couple of days to spend working on the problem.

Mike- Can you PM me their information please? I need to have my side windows redone.

Get notified of new replies

To Weekly Meet: North Dallas, Addison, Carrollton, Colony, W Plano, Allen, Frisco, Etc.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:56 PM
Dirty Harry
Le Mans Master

I finally got my door locks and mirrors working again, but I'm still fighting with the windows. Nothing anyone has suggested so far has pinpointed what's stopping them from working. At least I can lock and unlock the car as well as setting the alarm with the key fob again instead of having to use the key to lock it and the fob to set the alarm. It was nice seeing the passenger side mirror working again too, so not all bad. I've already finished my finals so I've got a couple of days to spend working on the problem.

Mike- Can you PM me their information please? I need to have my side windows redone.

Hey Ed, I think this is one in Richardson off Arapaho
525 W Arapaho Rd, #11, Richardson, TX 75080

Cross Streets: Between Custer Rd and Hampshire Ln

(214) 570-8468

tritekautotint.com·more info

Last edited by Dirty Harry; 08-31-2014 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:49 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Hey Ed, I think this is one in Richardson off Arapaho
525 W Arapaho Rd, #11, Richardson, TX 75080

Cross Streets: Between Custer Rd and Hampshire Ln

(214) 570-8468

tritekautotint.com·more info

Thanks Lee. I'll give them a call after the holiday and see what they'd charge.

I went outside to secure my car for the night and took entirely too much pleasure in pushing the arm button on my key fob and hearing the door locks and alarm both activate. I need to get this d@mn window problem fixed already.

Taking the top off is just not the same when you can't roll the windows down.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:42 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Sweet! Two is enough to start a caravan! Who else is in?
My dad is coming with me as well. Not 100% sure if we will make it to breakfast with you guys. I'll be in '93 40th and my dad in his '05 C6 black vert.

Quick Reply: Weekly Meet: North Dallas, Addison, Carrollton, Colony, W Plano, Allen, Frisco, Etc.