Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Z06 tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 08:59 PM
H2oplayer
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Z06 tires

Hi all, new to forum and c5 z06.

I am having an issue with wheel hop and I think it is my fire hawk wide ovals. Tires look good but they are 6 years old.

Stock tires are 265/40/17 front, 295/35/18 rear. PO had 275/40/17 on front.

There does not seem to be a lot of choices for the stock rims/sizes. I have a few questions.

What would be the best summer tire to be had? I live in the PNW so I need a tire that works both dry and wet.

What would be the advantages / disadvantages of going wider in the rear?

It looks like 275/40/17 is as wides as you would want to go in front. I can see that when the wheel is turned it barely clears the front wheel well.

So far I am considering the PSS, PS2 and Proxes T1 sports.

I would prefer to say with the stock rims as the car came with two sets of rims.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:24 PM
cwikstro
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by H2oplayer
Hi all, new to forum and c5 z06.

I am having an issue with wheel hop and I think it is my fire hawk wide ovals. Tires look good but they are 6 years old.

Stock tires are 265/40/17 front, 295/35/18 rear. PO had 275/40/17 on front.

There does not seem to be a lot of choices for the stock rims/sizes. I have a few questions.

What would be the best summer tire to be had? I live in the PNW so I need a tire that works both dry and wet.

What would be the advantages / disadvantages of going wider in the rear?

It looks like 275/40/17 is as wides as you would want to go in front. I can see that when the wheel is turned it barely clears the front wheel well.

So far I am considering the PSS, PS2 and Proxes T1 sports.

I would prefer to say with the stock rims as the car came with two sets of rims.
Welcome to Corvette world! Are you street use only or track or? BTW, I am local to you if you are interested inselling the extra set of wheels, PM me please.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:35 PM
H2oplayer
5th Gear

Originally Posted by cwikstro
Welcome to Corvette world! Are you street use only or track or? BTW, I am local to you if you are interested inselling the extra set of wheels, PM me please.
Thanks,

Mostly street. I plan to do a few track days and maybe some auto cross but was planning on setting the second set of rims up with track tires. If I change my mind on the wheels I will let you know.

We are practically neighbors, I live in Artondale.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:23 PM
cwikstro
Racer

Thanks,

Mostly street. I plan to do a few track days and maybe some auto cross but was planning on setting the second set of rims up with track tires. If I change my mind on the wheels I will let you know.

Great. Yes you are close. Here is a cool opportunity for a track day/school event that IRDC the group I race with is having in April at the Ridge. I will be an instructor and do test and tune also on Saturday. Check it out:

http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/...0#.VNjYqSjZoUV

As for tires, go with the best street tires you can afford and run something like Kuhmo 700's for track use, or Toyo 888's. These won't last on the street and the street tires won't last on the track. Let me know if I can help you.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:57 PM
H2oplayer
5th Gear

Originally Posted by cwikstro
Great. Yes you are close. Here is a cool opportunity for a track day/school event that IRDC the group I race with is having in April at the Ridge. I will be an instructor and do test and tune also on Saturday. Check it out:

http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/...0#.VNjYqSjZoUV

As for tires, go with the best street tires you can afford and run something like Kuhmo 700's for track use, or Toyo 888's. These won't last on the street and the street tires won't last on the track. Let me know if I can help you.
Thanks for the link on the track day. I am very interested in this. Other than sorting the car out and putting good tires on it this is probably the best performance mod I could do.

I would love the chance to pick your brain on the car and driving.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:51 AM
cwikstro
Racer

Thanks for the link on the track day. I am very interested in this. Other than sorting the car out and putting good tires on it this is probably the best performance mod I could do.

I would love the chance to pick your brain on the car and driving.
Send me and email if you sign up and we can meet up there. curtw44@gmail.com

Curt
Old 02-16-2015, 12:37 AM
Kevin_k
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks,

I am also in the PNW (Silverdale)

Recently I replaced my worn out PS2 with a set of Continental DW 275/40 17 front and 295/35 18 rear on stock C5Z06 rims. I wanted something that would be good on the street that I could also switch to at the track if it starts raining. For the track I have a set of R888 on a second set of stock C5Z06 rims.

The Continental DW tires are supposed to be very good in the rain and we do get a good bit of rain here in the PNW so I thought they would be a good choice. The PS2 were great tires but like cwikstro said street tires don’t last long on the track and I used up the PS2s pretty quick before moving to the R888 for track use.

The PS2 were $1700 for the set but I the Continental DW tires were less than $900.00

Good luck. I hope you do come out to a few track days at the Ridge this year TomP puts on awesome events.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:42 AM
0Luke@tirerack
Former Vendor

Received 148 Likes on 63 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Check out the Continental Extreme Contact DW. It is excellent in the wet and very good in the dry and would prove to be a good all around performer based on what you posted about your use of the Vette. Also, go back to the 275/40-17 front size as it reduces the understeer designed into the car.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Z06 tires

Quick Reply: C5 Z06 tires