Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pilot Super Sport vs. Pilot Super Sport ZP

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 04:11 PM
slayer6x6
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Pilot Super Sport vs. Pilot Super Sport ZP

Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but search terms for Michelin, Pilot, and Sport comes up with overwhelming results.

For the first time in my life I'm ready to invest a good amount of money on tires. I've always gone with cheapo rubber, so I've never really had the pleasure on riding on a nice set of tires. After weeks of pondering, I've finally decided to pull the trigger on the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, only to find out they're on some kind of intergalactic backorder, and even Michelin doesn't know when they'll become available. On the flip side, it looks like the PSS ZP model is readily available. I've always had this negative connotation towards run flats, they're noisy, slippery, and just plain clumsy. I wanted to see if anybody has had personal experience with both tires, and if they could weigh in on their comparison before I spend another $400 on what I was expecting to pay.

Cliff notes: Do the PSS and PSSZP have equal performance?
Old 07-28-2015, 06:09 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by slayer6x6
Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but search terms for Michelin, Pilot, and Sport comes up with overwhelming results.

For the first time in my life I'm ready to invest a good amount of money on tires. I've always gone with cheapo rubber, so I've never really had the pleasure on riding on a nice set of tires. After weeks of pondering, I've finally decided to pull the trigger on the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, only to find out they're on some kind of intergalactic backorder, and even Michelin doesn't know when they'll become available. On the flip side, it looks like the PSS ZP model is readily available. I've always had this negative connotation towards run flats, they're noisy, slippery, and just plain clumsy. I wanted to see if anybody has had personal experience with both tires, and if they could weigh in on their comparison before I spend another $400 on what I was expecting to pay.

Cliff notes: Do the PSS and PSSZP have equal performance?
I can't answer your question. The standard PSS is an awesome tire. However, the only ZP model that I am familiar with is on the C7 Z06 which I instructed at CoTA. They stick extremely well (I thought they were CupII tires), and the Forum members here tell me that the ZP has significantly stiffer sidewall then the non ZP. I would think (guess) that if you can afford the higher priced ZP and don't mind the added weight, the performance should be close to equal.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:35 AM
twinarrow99
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Pilot Super Sport vs. Pilot Super Sport ZP

I cannot speak to the difference, but last week replaced GS OEM GY RF's after 19000 mi with Pilot Super Sports. Big difference, less noise, smoother ride. Ordered from local Discount Tire, they were shipped and installed in 3 days. Was expecting the huge delay, no problem getting them in San Antonio.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:39 PM
vet55
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking only for the ZP's, they have been great. Ride nice and secure with the idea of a flat. I am, however, switching to the SS's because the ZP's are loud on some roads and looking for a better grip to the rear.

To qualify, I have not driven the SS's, I am going by extensive reading and current GS drivers. fwiw.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:35 PM
slayer6x6
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys. It looks like tire rack finally has an ETA of late August on the non run flats, so I'm patiently waiting for those!
Old 08-20-2015, 07:59 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

I have had both on the same car, the sszp and the ss. The ss offers a better ride, not as noticeable as coming from a good year to michelin and they stick on a road course. The sszp are a little more noisy then the regular ss on certain roads. They stick also on the road courses. I changed from the ss to the sszp because of the zp, and using a spare set of rims with cups. Bottom line is if you don't need the zp function get the ss, if you do the zp ain't giving up much.

On a side bar I have 295/30/19 with not many miles for sale.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:54 AM
skar
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Good info , picked up a c6 this week and it needs tires .
Leaning towards the SS. I Gusses I can get a can of fix a flat
and small air pump and keep in back ? Or am I wasting time money
and space doing that.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:58 AM
vet55
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picked up the GS yesterday with the new PSS's on the front only. Backs are ZP's that won't wear out. The dead ZP's were loud and rough and the PSS's are quiet and smooth and grip like crazy. I will get PSS's for the back next go 'round.
I suggest the PSS's to anyone.
Thx!

Get notified of new replies

To Pilot Super Sport vs. Pilot Super Sport ZP

Quick Reply: Pilot Super Sport vs. Pilot Super Sport ZP