Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ANSWERED] Car overheating issues on track

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 02:30 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali_Z06
The reason I recommend M7 because the majority of people having issues are A8 guys with exception to very few M7's like your situation. I did submit an ask Tadge question as a follow up to your question from a year ago on the Z06 cooling package and it's on hold for now pending JVP approval. I hope it would eventually go to voting.
For sure there are more A8s overheating but why? I'm guessing it's just the A8 programming holding the revs up, GM said it's programmed to keep the engine high in the powerband. If you drive an A8 at the same average RPM do you think the A8 will still run hotter? I'm not convinced it's worth selling an A8 for that. However, getting the M7 means the spot is open for a secondary radiator. That is worth it imo. So we agree the M7 is the way to go but maybe for different reasons?
Old 06-08-2016, 03:28 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
For sure there are more A8s overheating but why? I'm guessing it's just the A8 programming holding the revs up, GM said it's programmed to keep the engine high in the powerband. If you drive an A8 at the same average RPM do you think the A8 will still run hotter? I'm not convinced it's worth selling an A8 for that. However, getting the M7 means the spot is open for a secondary radiator. That is worth it imo. So we agree the M7 is the way to go but maybe for different reasons?
As I mentioned before, on several occasions we had 3 Z06's at auto club speedway. Ambient 88F. Same lap times. All 3 had Ron Davis radiator. The two M7 lasted full 25 minute sessions shifting at red line and the A8 overheated after 10 mins shifting manually between 5k and 6k. The A8 overheated every time we went to the track even at 70F ambient. A8 is generating more heat even if shifted manually at slightly lower rpms for some reason.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:52 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

As I mentioned before, on several occasions we had 3 Z06's at auto club speedway. Ambient 88F. Same lap times. All 3 had Ron Davis radiator. The two M7 lasted full 25 minute sessions shifting at red line and the A8 overheated after 10 mins shifting manually between 5k and 6k. The A8 overheated every time we went to the track even at 70F ambient. A8 is generating more heat even if shifted manually at slightly lower rpms for some reason.
Fair enough. There must be more to it than short gearing then. Odd indeed.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:25 PM
BaylorCorvette
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
To echo what Ali is saying, the A8's definitely see this issue more, even if shifting manually. I've owned a '16 Z51 M7 since February and haven't had any overheating issues in five track events so far, all events in the 70s except one in mid/high 80s. Prior to purchasing this car I had a family member let me track their car at a local event, in mid to high 80 degree temps I overheated the A8 in about 15 minutes (manually shifting).

Both cars are Z51s. The A8 was bone stock mine is on sticky tires and track pads but otherwise stock. As far as I'm concerned mine has been driven way harder (didn't want to push the A8 since it wasn't mine) and hasn't shown any issues (yet).

Interestingly, I owned an A6 '13 ZL1 prior to my C7 and I tracked that thing hard for two years and never once had an overheat issue with the transmission and that thing was making nearly 100 rwhp over stock and I've tracked it in high 90 degree temps too. Supposedly the A8 is very similar in size to the A6, so I do not know if it lost some sort of thermal efficiency or what. I would be curious if people with a '14 C7 Z51 A6 have had any issues? Much smaller sample size but there's got to be someone out there that has tracked it and is moderately quick. Wonder if the new A10s going in the 6th gen Camaro's are going to have the same issue.

Last edited by BaylorCorvette; 06-09-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:50 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

The reason I recommend M7 because the majority of people having issues are A8 guys with exception to very few M7's like your situation. I did submit an ask Tadge question as a follow up to your question from a year ago on the Z06 cooling package and it's on hold for now pending JVP approval. I hope it would eventually go to voting.
TJ has no answer. IMO the Corvette team needs new direction. New blood and not the same old Yankee doodle approach.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:45 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by GP1224
TJ has no answer. IMO the Corvette team needs new direction. New blood and not the same old Yankee doodle approach.
My A6 overheats after 15-20 mins if I leave it in auto mode on the track.

I've never had an overheating problem in my A6 while using paddle shifters and running up to 20 mins.

Quick Reply: [ANSWERED] Car overheating issues on track