Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

Changes Coming to "Ask Tadge" - Input Sought

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 12:54 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,146 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Default Changes Coming to "Ask Tadge" - Input Sought

Hey gang -

Tadge has been enjoying the indirect interaction with the forum through the "Ask Tadge" section. However, he's asked if we could consider dropping the question interval from one per week, to one per two weeks. He likes to be complete (verbose? ) with his answers, but that comes at a cost: time. Note that as of this writing, for instance, he has two open questions waiting for him.

I'm trying to consider how to change the setup. One thought I had was: one week of question asking and discussion, and another week of voting. It would give folks more opportunity to participate in the actual voting. Right now, we're running the vote through the weekend, and, let's face it: a lot of folks would rather be out driving their Corvettes during that time!

Playing Devil's advocate with that one: it might seem like the process is dragging a bit if we have a whole week of voting.

Any other ideas? If you assume you have two weeks to get him one question, and you want to try to be as democratic about the process as possible: how would you do it?
Old 03-23-2015, 03:09 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Anything to keep the dialogue open.

Will PM with any ideas.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:44 PM
SHM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like a good compromise. 1 week to discuss, 1-2 weeks to vote then pass it on. It'll give more time to, imho, refine the process so Tadge can get the best detail and flavor of the question as well has have more time to vote. I missed a very important (to me, anyway) vote because I didn't catch on to the question when everyone else had. I might've been able to vote if the pole had been open for a wee bit longer. Anyway, I'm sure he has more on his plate than he has time for. And it's great GM would even allow him to do this.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:41 PM
wayles
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Hey gang -

One thought I had was: one week of question asking and discussion, and another week of voting. It would give folks more opportunity to participate in the actual voting. ?
This sounds like a good compromise to me. Give it a try, and if it doesn't work, tweek it some more. I find these threads quite interesting and sure do appreciate the effort put forth by Tadge and Jim in giving detailed answers. Thanks guys.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:27 AM
plasboy
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

It sounds good to me as long as it keeps going.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:31 AM
John Nowak PE
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your suggestion is a good one. If you are concerned about allowing a full week for voting, you could always limit the voting portion to a few days.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:59 PM
flange
Team Owner

Received 267 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

the dude is going above and beyond the call of duty. I am sure he is a busy guy, and I find it refreshing that he responds in open forum to the questions. one per two weeks is still generous.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:00 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,146 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Default Another Change...

Per a suggestion from pewter99, I changed the layout of the forum a tiny bit to hopefully make it a bit easier to navigate. What I was doing was sticking each of the answer threads so that folks could see how many and which questions were answered by Tadge. The down side of that idea is that it creates a very sticky-heavy page.

The recommendation was to un-stick all of the answer threads, and create a single Answer Thread that has 2 things:
  1. An opening post that has links to all of the answer threads
  2. A reply post for each of the questions and answers
That way people can scan through a single post and see all of the Q&A but none of the surrounding discussions. If they want to see said discussions, they can go back to the first post in the thread and follow the links.

I plan to leave the current answered thread as well as the current asked thread stickied. But once the following week's question and answer come in, the former will be un-stickied.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:15 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Just a thought but how about having the voting end on the last day of a month and give Tadge 2 new questions on the first of the month. That way he still gets 1 question every 2 weeks effectively and has a whole month to reply or send to others for input.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:53 PM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 115 Posts

Of course if he wants every two weeks, make it every two weeks. Like others said, whatever it takes to keep it going. I think a week for questions to be generated and then a week to vote on alternating cycles is a good idea. Give plenty of time for everybody to vote. The top 2nd choice from previous week should be included in the next week's pole as well. Or, maybe keep a thread of "runners up" that could be chosen from Tadge as questions he would "like" to answer if he found interest. Just throwing out some ideas.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:23 PM
WesC7
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Whatever Tadge thinks is the best timeframe.

I'm absolutely amazed that he is giving freely of what little time he has available to answer questions from one of the most "****" car enthusiast groups in the US. And yes, I put myself in that "****" group also....

Hopefully, all of us realize how lucky we are to get Tadge's insight....

Thanks Tadge.....! Greatly appreciate your time....
Old 04-15-2015, 08:26 AM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 880 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by WesC5
Whatever Tadge thinks is the best timeframe.

I'm absolutely amazed that he is giving freely of what little time he has available to answer questions from one of the most "****" car enthusiast groups in the US. And yes, I put myself in that "****" group also....

Hopefully, all of us realize how lucky we are to get Tadge's insight....

Thanks Tadge.....! Greatly appreciate your time....
Agreed!

You guys better not complain when you get your C8 with missing fasteners and 480p PDR quality I kid, I kid.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:09 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Given the amount of scrutiny some of these responses have received by the less appreciative, I think it is clear why Tadge has become more "politically correct" and calculated with his responses...both here, at Bash's, and everywhere else. As a result, his responses are likely requiring more time, more thought and taking more from his routine. I absolutely think it's reasonable that it be reduced to 1 every 2 wks, or even more. The simple fact that buyers of a mass production product have access to the CHIEF engineer and other contributing engineers of the program...it's so unprecedented that it borders absurd (I say that in a good way). I think doing whatever reasonably accommodates their schedule is very reasonable, in exchange for the opportunity just to get the final answer from the source.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:52 PM
LT4_CE
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 111 Posts

My $0.02 is that we were lucky to have him answer once a week. That's pretty frequent, consider the amount of information being exchanged.

I think every other week is just fine. Actually, since we're lucky to have him answer these questions *at all* I think any interval he suggests is more than fine.

Get notified of new replies

To Changes Coming to "Ask Tadge" - Input Sought

Quick Reply: Changes Coming to "Ask Tadge" - Input Sought