Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

Production of a Flat Plane Crank Engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 04:00 PM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 301 Likes on 191 Posts

It's all a trade off.

Crossplane V8 cranks have excellent mechanical balance at the expense of volumetric efficiency. This compromise makes the crossplane engine smooth and suitable for very large displacements.

Flatplane V8 cranks have excellent volumetric efficiency at the expense of mechanical balance. This compromise makes the flatplane engine capable of a higher specific power output per unit of displacement.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:19 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by Guard Dad
Crossplane V8 cranks have excellent mechanical balance at the expense of volumetric efficiency.

Flatplane V8 cranks have excellent volumetric efficiency at the expense of mechanical balance.
I asked this earlier. Please explain this. How does the crank affect volumetric efficiency? Both designs draw an intake charge every 90* of crank rotation...
Old 10-19-2015, 04:21 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
How is that? They both have a fire pules, every 90* of crank revolution.
Only thing that can provide to a flat plane crankshaft high rpm is no counterweights,
Old 10-19-2015, 04:23 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

That is correct.

The 4 cylinder can not benefit from a cross plane design. The V8 can, b/c the counterweight for one piston can and does weigh about equal to the weight of the piston and rod. THIS mass, when 90* to the motion of the piston (1/2 way up or down the stroke) is cancelled by the adjacent piston that is attached to the same crank pin. This very feature is what makes the "cross plane" V8 so smooth and desireable.

On any inline engine, a crank weight equal to the weight of the piston/rod would cancel vibrations in the vertical plane, but introduce vibrations laterally with equal magnitude as those vibrations created vertically, that we are trying to cancel. It would shake and introduce as much crank stress, as the same engine w/NO counterweights! SO, typically, the counter weights of an inline are ~1/2 the weight of the piston and rod -it cuts vertical vibration in 1/2, and only adds 1/2 laterally (some of which is cancelled by other cylinders' throws, depending on the number of cylinders.
Cross plane crankshaft is now available even on four cylinder in line.

Yamaha motorcycle makes it

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEXUrO5wYcE

Last edited by Christi@n; 10-19-2015 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Addiction
Old 10-19-2015, 04:55 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Yes, I have seen that exception. I don't know that it increased power...that marketing piece extols the virtues of a more even or more manageable power delivery....however little of it makes sense to me. They eliminated an even, 180* firing pattern, with a syncopated one. How can that be more even? Even their graph showed a gap in power. Weird.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:18 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Think thatcould be due to the inertia elimination

http://www.yamahapart.com/page/crossplanecrankshaft

This way crank became something like a "without weight" crank
Old 10-19-2015, 05:39 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

You make a flat plane to increase the top end of the engine. This increases overall power. It's why flat plane V8's are popular with Ferrari.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:50 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

IDK....I thought flywheels, (rotating inertia) smoothed power delivery (power pulses)...but what do I know?
Old 10-20-2015, 12:03 AM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 301 Likes on 191 Posts

I asked this earlier. Please explain this. How does the crank affect volumetric efficiency? Both designs draw an intake charge every 90* of crank rotation...
The flatplane crank V8 symmetrically alternates the the active (the one firing) cylinder between the two cylinder banks. It's the symmetry of the process that allows the designer to literally tune the intake and exhaust resonant frequencies to obtain the the best power band for the application. This symmetry is absent in a crossplane V8 which compromises the designers ability to tune the intake and exhaust tracts and reduces potential power output.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:39 AM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Semi relevant interesting article:
http://beta.motortrend.com/features/...nd-camaro-z28/
Old 10-20-2015, 08:11 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Cool article.

From the article:
"A flat-plane crank helps take advantage of intake and exhaust resonances"

Still like someone to explain this one. The exhaust, there is potentially a benefit; that is, you go from a syncopated firing rhythm on each side to an even one. Obviously with any equal length exhaust (be it short or long tube) you can not pulse tune the exhaust efficiently when the pulses are un-even. A "work around" for this that is used in NASCAR (among other places) is "180* headers".

But the flat plane crank and it's even bank firing make EXHAUST tuning, much easier. The bizarre thing is, the way that FORD did the exhaust manifolds in their engine, they are not taking advantage of this tuning possibility!

The INTAKE is a different story; we have equal length runners drawing from a common reservoir every 90* of crank rotation...with either crank design. I can't see how crank design has any kind of meaningful impact on "intake tuning".

I think people corralate "flat plane crank" and "high RPM" then assume that the crank = high RPM "tuning" which that though process is folly. As 1analguy already pointed out, the engines which typically use FPC's are displacement limited and MUST rev high to get HP, so they use short runners, larger duration cams, etc. The logic is no different than someone assuming that DOHC = high RPM.

There are TONS of cross plane crank engines that are TUNED to, and do run very high RPM; NASCAR, Drag cars, the Yamaha motorcycle linked earlier and so on.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:23 PM
1analguy
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 1analguy
Again, missing the point. The example of my '96 GS vs the C4 ZR-1 was just that...an example. Are we capable of moving on to a more modern example? Forget the C4. Forget the C6. Look at the C7...Z51 = better than Z06. Look at the Dodge Hellcat...SRT 392 = better than Hellcat. Get my point now? Balance beats excess...for me. Do whatever you feel you need to do to impress your friends, but at some point you're going to find that a truly balanced car will impress you more than the simple excess of too much power.
In an update of my point, Road & Tack's 2015 PCOTY issue (December) just arrived and confirmed that I'm not alone in my opinion regarding balanced performance. I quote:

"The Corvette Z06 arrived at PCOTY as heir apparent to the Z51 Stingray's decisive win in 2014. Yet about half of us like the standard Corvette more than the special-reserve addition. Blame the supercharger, which endows this car with massive pace yet removes some of the involvement from back-road driving."

It was an interesting test of eight top-notch performance cars. None of the drivers were allowed access to lap times, so their choice was restricted to their subjective opinions about actually driving the cars. They had a clever points system that resulted in an objectively-chosen winner: the GT350R. They voted for the whole car, not just the engine. Their main comment about the engine? It sounds nice at high revs. The only thing they left out of the conclusion was the finishing order behind the GT350R. That would have been interesting. They also said that the only car in the test that felt like it was capable of lapping at ten tenths all day long was the Viper ACR, which was also the fastest car around the track...for all of the drivers.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:57 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

I would say that world is beautiful why is is diversified, so when i look at american car i say WOW i like very much the v8 rumble... Or sometimes i meet people from your country here and speak a little with them and i say hey they speak american....

Or you when you see ferrari there think say WOW its an italian high rpm singer...

So make a thing that is the same in all the world is not a good idea.

I love to know the local traditions, and think this is a personal enrichment

Last edited by Christi@n; 11-17-2015 at 06:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mdull (09-01-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 03:50 AM
JDaniel
Senior Badass!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

For all the haters that said Chevy would never go the flat plane route. Too funny how I predicted this over four years ago.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...flat-plane-v8/

Last edited by JDaniel; 08-27-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:05 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,283 Likes on 928 Posts

Its not official yet so keep waiting
JDaniel (08-28-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 10:04 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by JDaniel
For all the haters that said Chevy would never go the flat plane route. Too funny how I predicted this over four years ago.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...flat-plane-v8/
I just hope they don't have the same reliability issues due to excessive vibration that Ford is suffering with the GT350.
JDaniel (08-29-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 10:27 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
I just hope they don't have the same reliability issues due to excessive vibration that Ford is suffering with the GT350.
Exactly!

I have no idea why people want this. Flat plane is fine for small displacement...but can you imagine CF when GM goes to a 4L engine...everyone wants their cake...

Get notified of new replies

To Production of a Flat Plane Crank Engine

Old 08-29-2019, 03:03 AM
JDaniel
Senior Badass!
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
Exactly!

I have no idea why people want this. Flat plane is fine for small displacement...but can you imagine CF when GM goes to a 4L engine...everyone wants their cake...
I think it has more to do with going forward with advancement of the car as a whole. For 50+ years the Corvette has been front engine/rear wheel drive. They shook it up with the C6 by getting rid of the horrendous folding head light design, then with the C7 by getting rid of the traditional tail lights. Mid engine cars are the way to go. Lower CG is huge in racing and that can rarely be achieved with a tall cross plane V motor. Gear shifting can be achieved much quicker with the lighter load that a flat plane carries, etc. There are a lot of advantages.

I am not a fan of big maintenance and I am sure neither is GM. So my guess is that they are going to make the motor reliable and you will still have the traditional 5 year/30,000 mile warranty if not better. I think I am going to hold off on the C8 and see what the price tag is for the C8Z06. I am going to take a guess and say probably $120,000 or better.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:01 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Find a V8 with a lower CG than a pushrod design.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:38 AM
JDaniel
Senior Badass!
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
Find a V8 with a lower CG than a pushrod design.

You're kidding, right?
GTS Bruce (11-20-2019)

Quick Reply: Production of a Flat Plane Crank Engine