Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

Approved Mod List

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 11:33 PM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 115 Posts

Default Approved Mod List

I think it'd be helpful to the community if GM released an approved mod list for the C7. Mods that can be completed without voiding powertrain, specifically.

Things I would expect to see on the list:
  • Intake
  • Headers
  • Exhaust

Things I probably would not expect to see on the list:
  • Turbo
  • Supercharger
  • Nitrous

Right now it's a crapshoot trying to decide what we can do to the cars without voiding warranty. Dealers also inconsistently will honor repairs. It'd be helpful if GM could make clear lines in the sand.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:01 AM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Great question. I would add any cooling system to protect components such as engine, transmission, differential,....
Old 07-17-2015, 12:55 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

With other cars I've owned, FWIW, adding/changing absolutely anything to the engine or a tune would void warranty if your car was flagged while at a dealership by a regional rep. But more importantly, what really matters is if you have a problem and bring it in, if they can in any way link your mod to the problem...it's adios.

It is especially bad with BMW.

This is a good question, but honestly I could see Tadge avoiding answering this at all costs. Think of the possible ramifications from GM "approving" modifications to these cars.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:10 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,791 Likes on 1,140 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by \Boost Monkey/
This is a good question, but honestly I could see Tadge avoiding answering this at all costs. Think of the possible ramifications from GM "approving" modifications to these cars.

Folks, please think through this one carefully. Note from the top that I'm not even going to put it up for vote. Before you crucify me for that, think through it. You're asking a leader within GM to, basically, certify mods. How do you really think that's going to end?

Think it through first before responding to me. Seriously.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:24 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp

Folks, please think through this one carefully. Note from the top that I'm not even going to put it up for vote. Before you crucify me for that, think through it. You're asking a leader within GM to, basically, certify mods. How do you really think that's going to end?

Think it through first before responding to me. Seriously.

I'm a heavy modder of all of my cars and I cheat the warranty system on every platform I've ever worked on, but you are 100% correct. Even if he wanted to, GM would never let him answer this question...and even if they did, it would be a solid "NO MODS".
Old 07-18-2015, 02:23 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Here is your complete list of GM certified mods:

*Driver

Lol

In all seriousness, the only mods approved are those that GM sells as "accessories". If its not in the Official GM accessory order book, then its is a no go. Period.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:49 PM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Here is your complete list of GM certified mods:

*Driver

Lol

In all seriousness, the only mods approved are those that GM sells as "accessories". If its not in the Official GM accessory order book, then its is a no go. Period.
Where is this book? Last I checked GM didn't even offer bolt-ons. Obviously a lot of owners want them, so then they should partner with a specific aftermarket company, at a minimum. Tons of people are hesitant to buy a new car because they want to mod it and will potentially void the warranty. If GM were to change their strategy, they could get revenue from mods and simultaneously boost sales.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:08 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by slickstick
Where is this book? Last I checked GM didn't even offer bolt-ons. Obviously a lot of owners want them, so then they should partner with a specific aftermarket company, at a minimum. Tons of people are hesitant to buy a new car because they want to mod it and will potentially void the warranty. If GM were to change their strategy, they could get revenue from mods and simultaneously boost sales.
They do have an accessory catalog. It contains things like floor mats, car covers, splash guards, etc. they will never change their strategy unfortunately.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:55 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by slickstick
Callaway comes to mind.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:43 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

I believe that under the Magnuson-Moss Act, an aftermarket part does not "void" any warranty. If that part is defective, of course GM is not responsible. If that part is defective and that defect causes damage to a warrantied part, GM can deny the claim on that repair. If the aftermarket part by it's very purpose creates added stress to warrantied parts and they fail, GM can deny those repairs as well. But they cannot "void" the entire warranty.

So, for example if you get a cold air intake, and the engine spins a rod bearing, or the rear diff goes south, those parts are still covered. If however, excess oil from the aftermarket filter damages the MAF or the Throttle body, those repairs are on your dime.

Headers are tricky. The headers themselves are not the devil. However, when headers are installed, they tend to throw off the parameters of the emission system. So headers typically require a modification to the ECM, and that will at the very least void your emission warranty, and more than likely the powertrain warranty, since the ECM controls every aspect of operation.

But I would not expect Tadge to even address a question about modification and warranty, unless we're talking about selling GMPP parts that are not labeled "off road use only".

Get notified of new replies

To Approved Mod List

Quick Reply: Approved Mod List