Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.
View Poll Results: Which question should Tadge answer?
Add Stage 3 Aero to Stage 1 or 2 Z06s
24.47%
Android Auto Questions
1.06%
PTM and its Effects on Other Settings in Car
12.77%
Changes in Engine Oil Cooling
46.81%
All Season Performance Tires
14.89%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Ask Tadge Poll: Ending 26 July, 2015

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 10:45 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,146 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Default Ask Tadge Poll: Ending 26 July, 2015

Vote for which of these 5 you'd like to have Tadge answer. The winner will be submitted Sunday, 26 July. The questions are posted in the replies below, with links to their respective threads.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:56 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Default Stage 3 Aero to Stage 1 or 2 Z06s

Original question is here.

RS4EVA asked
What impact, negative or positive, would there be to handling? Can I add just the wicker bill and not the larger front winglets or the other way around?
Old 07-19-2015, 10:57 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Default Android Auto Questions

defaria asked
I'm planning out getting a 2016 C7. I hear that Android Auto (AA) is coming to the C7 for 2016 but later in the production year. How much later? Since my order will be the in the beginning of the 2016 production year I probably won't have AA at the start. Will it be offered as an upgrade later on? I'd be OK with a little extra cost.

But more importantly, and this is something nobody seems to ask, will the turn by turn directions be available in the HUD under AA. I like the fact that the nav system puts the turn by turn directions in the HUD. It was nicely done on my C6, telling me the name of the street/exit, whether it was a left or right turn and a little progress bar about how much further it was until the turn. No after market unit offered that integration and I just assumed that it was a GM proprietary API known only to GM. But if GM is updating hardware and supporting AA shouldn't it support these turn by turn directions in the Nav? If not, why would I not simply buy the Pioneer unit that does AA?
Old 07-19-2015, 10:59 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Default PTM and its Effects on Other Settings in Car

descartesfool asked:
There are 5 modes which can be selected on any C7 equipped with MRC when it is put into Track mode. The owner's manual and a few other documents already released provide some very brief descriptions of the changes to the car's various systems, but it would be very informative to learn more about how the different systems are affected for each mode, and how all the various systems interact. A more detailed explanation of each PTM mode would be very informative for people who drive on track. As well it would be good to know when all the nannies are turned off, which ones are still operating if any. And finally which mode should be used by which type of driver, and is it possible to have a dash display showing which PTM mode the car is in?
Old 07-19-2015, 11:00 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Default Changes in Engine Oil Cooling

grcor asked:
For many years GM has used radiators with an engine oil cooler inside left tank for trucks, SUVs, and in the Corvette 2005-2007 Z51s. This method of cooling engine oil works well and has the added benefit of warming the engine oil during warm up. It also keeps engine room congestion and the number of pluming connections to a minimum.

The 2006 – 2010 Z06s use a large air/oil cooler mounted in front of the radiator. This method of oil cooling works well at the track, but in normal street driving it keeps the oil too cold. On a 50 to 60 degree day, it is common to see oil temperatures in the 120 to 140 range (DIC). The DIC is reading oil temperature from the bottom of the external reservoir, the oil first travels to the oil pump, then thru to the oil filter then thru to the oil cooler before it enters the engine. So the temperature of the oil entering the engine is even colder than what the DIC says. What is the optimum oil temperature for a LS7?

The 2011-2013 Z06s, 2009-2013 ZR1s, and C7 Z51s/Z06s use a coolant/oil cooler assembly to cool/warm engine oil. This method needs to have a coolant line plumbed from the block to the cooler assembly and from the cooler assembly to the radiator. The cooler assembly and extra plumbing would seem to add to engine room congestion and increased potential of coolant leaks as time goes on.

The current Camaro Z28 uses a bigger coolant/oil cooler assembly than the Corvettes.

Can you please tell us the advantages and disadvantages of each oil cooling approach from an engineering point of view and why you changed the oil cooling approach so many times?
Old 07-19-2015, 11:01 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Default All Season Performance Tires

b4i4getit asked:
Would it be possible to make an all season performance tire available for the Corvette ? Certainly GM has enough pull with the tire manufacturers to get one of them to develop a runflat that would be usable all year and would have some level of performance. This would be beneficial for those that like to use their cars all year and have no track aspirations and would also eliminate the tire cracking issue that many have experienced.

Get notified of new replies

To Ask Tadge Poll: Ending 26 July, 2015

Quick Reply: Ask Tadge Poll: Ending 26 July, 2015