Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ANSWERED] Z06 @ MT's BDC

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 11:52 PM
FitFam
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

and Mercedes, Bentley and Porsche have lots of stock available on the models they provided for the tests and no other media is requesting their vehicles hence the reason their cars had no problems. Wait two years if you haven't bought one because this car along with the Caddy LT4 is not ready for the public. Buy a Mustang, Hellcat, BMW, Porsche or Mercedes at least these manufacturers are putting cars in their showrooms that work and aren't still in development stage. Personally for a little more $ you can get that Merc GTS which is a Z06 killer in almost ever category. It might be slower on the first lap or two but after that its game over.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:55 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by tbrenny33
Well it is a huge bummer that it went like this and something was missed or overlooked, but I would be the first to admit that happens with things of high technology and lots of moving parts. Having to do so much work also cosmetic really cut into their time and I'm sure they would love to have a backup car but that probably isn't up to Tadge. I would guess this has happened to everyone here on some level or another, if not you are either a rare perfect human or just a liar. I would expect 0 screw-ups on this car from here on out though, but we'll see.
Well...fact is I've been there. I had a certain club track hosting our company, showing our car to all its members via two track days. We spent a week on prep, re-corner balanced and aligned the car probably 8 times. Went for two shakedown sessions and the car was performing flawlessly.

Get the car on the trailer, go across four states. Get to the hotel I decide to untrailer it...check again, and again. Get my guy to help me unload it. Fire it up in the hotel parking lot..which draws a crowd. We are standing there talking, I glance at the dash and the temp is way up. I shut it down immediately. I start it up after an hour of investigating, temps rising again. Next day, get to the track with 25 wealthy guys waiting...thing won't hold temp, so I had to cancel it all. That day cost us a couple hundred grand...guaranteed.

Difference is GM can sustain these hits, a company our size couldn't. In that case, despite all my preparations, checks and double checks, chance still got the best of us. Fact was though, it never happened twice. Our preparations, tooling on hand, and who accompanied the car, knew it inside out. I just can't see how this could happen twice without a level of mismanagement as the cause, hence why someone should be held accountable. Once a mistake, twice a habit...bottom line.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:57 AM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Difference is GM can sustain these hits, a company our size couldn't. In that case, despite all my preparations, checks and double checks, chance still got the best of us. Fact was though, it never happened twice. Our preparations, tooling on hand, and who accompanied the car, knew it inside out. I just can't see how this could happen twice without a level of mismanagement as the cause, hence why someone should be held accountable. Once a mistake, twice a habit...bottom line.[/QUOTE]

I don't see it as happening twice though, two totally different issues, yes both prep issues that need to be solved no doubt but they didn't over look the same or remotely the same issue. If it was the exact same thing twice I would have zero forgiveness and say wtf.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:50 PM
mustclime
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

What a waste of a question imo....Hey who messed up and made our car look bad in one of the worst auto mags still in print!??? The only thing sadder than wasting a good question on crap is the people that still read MT.

Quick Reply: [ANSWERED] Z06 @ MT's BDC