Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ANSWERED] New GM performance parts voids powertrain warranty!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 06:15 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,845 Likes on 1,159 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Default [ANSWERED] New GM performance parts voids powertrain warranty!

Original question is here.

AliZ51 asked:
GM performance part group is finally on the move and we are hearing one announcement after another with regards to the release of new components. This is great until we read the disclaimer and that all these parts would/ will void the powertrain warranty. How can GM justify voiding a powertrain warranty even for a carbon fiber cover? Please clarify. Thank you.
Tadge answered:
Great question from the forum. Although I am not directly responsible for performance parts, this question caused detailed conversation about the relationship between that business activity and our factory warranty. That is why this answer took longer to provide. As we continue to develop more and better performance parts we will strive for better clarity on impact to warranty, if any.

We assume that this question originated from the new SEMA offerings of Performance Parts for Corvette (cooling kits, aero kits, carbon fiber braces, brake kits, T1 suspension kit, and driveline kits) and the publishing of these parts in the 2016 Performance Parts catalog. The warranty disclaimer statement that is published in the catalog (see statement below*) was originally written for crate engines and engine parts, and had not been changed to reflect the differences between Powertrain Parts and our Vehicle Performance Parts offerings. We are in process of re-writing this statement and will publish the update in the catalog and online at the next printing.

Our intent is not to altogether void the New Vehicle Limited Warranty nor the Powertrain Warranty on our Vehicle Performance Parts, and most of the Performance Parts available for Corvette do not restrict these warranties at all. We will, however, need to restrict some aspects of these warranties, as noted below, given that installation of some Performance Parts will alter the intended uses of the production vehicles. There are also instances where Performance Parts take the vehicle out of compliance for public road use. These restrictions will be disclosed to Performance Parts consumers so that they can knowledgeably choose whether or not to install such parts. .

In the first printing of the catalog, the following parts were called out with the standard warranty disclaimer. We are now more clearly defining the specific restrictions and will publish these in the next catalog update:
  • Secondary Radiator and 600w fan – this was a misprint in the catalog – there are no warranty restrictions on these parts. These will not void the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
  • Carbon fiber braces – these parts are intended for off-road use only. Our long term, 10 year corrosion testing is not complete and therefore warranty claims for corrosion at the attachments of the brace to body will be restricted. The remainder of the factory warranty is intact.
  • Z51 brakes for Stingray – in this kit, the mass dampers were removed from the stock Z51 pads in order to fit inside of the base Stingray wheels. Mass dampers are used to tune the system for brake noise, and therefore this kit is not warranted for noise performance. The remainder of the factory warranty is intact.
  • Z06 brakes for Z51 – this application is for off-road use only because the stock Z51 wheels do not fit over the Z06 brakes. We cannot test or certify to all of the potential solutions. Any failures occurring as a result of the non-production wheels selected by the customer would not be covered. The remainder of the factory warranty is intact.
  • T1 suspension kit – this suspension kit is designed for off-road, racing use only. Generally speaking we expect vehicles equipped with the T1 content would also be outfitted with track slicks and raced, both of which do void the general vehicle warranty.
Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. You have made us realize that a generic disclaimer does not clearly communicate the reasoning and intent behind each of the Performance Part restrictions. We are pushing to continue to bring new, exciting parts to market, and we’d love to hear your feedback.

*Current Catalog statement (for reference only):
The use of this engine or component in a new Chevrolet vehicle voids the vehicle powertrain warranty and may result in adversely affecting vehicle performance. In some cases, use of certain Chevrolet Performance components may result in the failure of other components or systems, thus voiding the warranty of the failed component or system. Chevrolet Performance components installed in new vehicles do retain their regular warranty coverage unless otherwise noted.

These engines and components have not been tested or validated by GM Engineering for use in these vehicles. Installation of components or engines in non-original applications may require fabrication or modifications that affect other vehicle systems. Certain engines may require modifications to the vehicle for fit and operation.

The installation and operation of these components or replacement engines in new vehicles is intended for off-road operation only.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:47 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Thank you Tadge and JVP. The answer shows a lot of hard work and collaboration among GM's various divisions. More importantly, I think it will please nearly everyone. This is mighty impressive!
Old 12-11-2015, 08:52 PM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

Great response, as the cooling parts do not void the warranty. I would assume the Z06 transmission cooler for the Z51 is the same as the secondary radiator in not voiding the warranty.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:52 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Old 12-11-2015, 10:00 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,405 Likes on 1,374 Posts

I suspected this was the case and am glad to see it clarified.

Interesting bit that running slicks voids the warranty even if you aren't racing. Do Hoosiers count as slicks even though they are DOT approved? Guess I better stick with the MPSC2 or MPSS.

Last edited by Poor-sha; 12-11-2015 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:12 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

I would suspect that due to the high amount of stress that a high grip tire would create, could increase wear significantly on warrantied components.

Glad you never ran slicks....
Old 12-11-2015, 11:44 PM
Jpjr2016
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Very helpful thank you
Old 12-12-2015, 12:22 AM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Good clarification.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:34 AM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 441 Likes on 251 Posts

Merry Christmas to you too!

Thanks for the great clarification.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:43 AM
Len44
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts

Well Done. Thanks for the clarification and the reasoning behind some of the disclaimers.

It is most appreciated.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:54 AM
h3mpking
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts

Define raced.. I have read where C7 Z06 members have had engines replaced that blew up at the road course. Is running a road course OK as long as it is an HPDE style event and not an official race?
Old 12-13-2015, 11:29 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 475 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by h3mpking
Define raced.. I have read where C7 Z06 members have had engines replaced that blew up at the road course. Is running a road course OK as long as it is an HPDE style event and not an official race?
If you're on track without a cage, it's not racing. I'm pretty sure GM designed this car with the intent that their owners would do track days. If you're getting screwed out of a motor, it's time to find a new dealer.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:55 AM
rsilver
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

delighted that Tadge clarified this question. It is a real step in the right direction and am glad to see it. does anyone know if the power steering cooler duct work by GMPP is included? I didn't see it in the GMPP catalog and it seems like it was announced before SEMA as a stand alone item. Its pretty benign, and not everyone likes it but I think it will get the job done for my chronic loss of PS so hope it doesn't void the warranty.As for cooling upgrades, that is great for the M7 guys and i hope they are coming out with a set up for the A8 guys,
Old 12-14-2015, 01:55 PM
djpatrick35
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice! Well... Considering I already had Callaway put the 600W fan on, my next upgrade is the secondary radiator and probably the Z06 brakes! I'm really happy. I thought it didn't make sense to put out all of these parts and have them void the warranty.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:26 PM
DerekShiekhi
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tadge Addresses Concerns About Potential C7 Warranty Issues Caused by GM Performance

Tadge Addresses Concerns About Potential C7 Warranty Issues Caused by GM Performance Parts

Early last month came news of a list of GM Performance Parts for the Corvette Stingray that Chevrolet was going to offer. The only problem was the fine print that raised serious questions about how the upgrades would impact C7 warranties.

Read the rest on the CorvetteForum.com homepage. >>
Old 12-14-2015, 08:41 PM
arturox2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Outstanding! Thank you for the response, Tadge.

Last edited by arturox2; 12-14-2015 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:20 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,461 Likes on 2,275 Posts

Originally Posted by arturox2
Outstanding! Thank you for the response, Tadge.

Get notified of new replies

To [ANSWERED] New GM performance parts voids powertrain warranty!

Old 12-15-2015, 04:54 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
I would suspect that due to the high amount of stress that a high grip tire would create, could increase wear significantly on warrantied components.
Exactly right. More grip=more stress.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:03 PM
philpacs
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the clarification. It's pretty clear except the T1 suspension. So getting the T1 would void the warranty or only if raced and or slicks? I'm sure there are a few of us who would want the T1 for street or HPDE events but not racing.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:33 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

LOL @ asking a car manufacturer's PR guy contract law questions.

As an attorney, I dispute the entire premise: Nothing "voids" a warranty unless you paid for your Vette with cocaine or counterfeit money.

GM might refuse to honor its obligations under the warranty, but it sure as hell isn't "void" until a court of law declares it so. A party cannot unilaterally declare a contract void. #LawyerQuibble

And BTW, GM doesn't get to decide after you buy a car from them which aftermarket parts you can use. The warranty says absolutely nothing about that, so that's all BS. The GM warranty states,
Engine power enhancement products may enable the engine to operate at horsepower and torque levels that could damage, create failure, or reduce the life of the engine, engine emission system, transmission, and drivetrain. Damage, failure, or reduced life of the engine, transmission, emission system, drivetrain or other vehicle components caused by aftermarket engine performance enhancement products or modifications may not be covered under your vehicle warranty.
Nowhere does the warranty state merely installing a particular aftermarket part affects your warranty. It says a drivetrain failure must be caused by the aftermarket part, any part.

I now fully expect several non-lawyers to contradict me, because Internet.

Quick Reply: [ANSWERED] New GM performance parts voids powertrain warranty!