Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Trying to select a HU . . . RF - RAV DVD1?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 04:07 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Default Trying to select a HU . . . RF - RAV DVD1?

My HU criteria:

DVD capability
CD changer control
4v or higher preamps outs
Remote control
No monitor

I really like the Rockford Fosgate unit RAV DVD1. The only issue I'm not sure about, their website doesn't indicate if the unit can control a CD changer or possibly even a DVD changer. If it can control a changer, I think it's my top pick.

Any comments or suggestions on another brand/model?

Pioneer has one or two models that at 1st glance appear to do everything I want except they may not have enough or higher voltage preamp outs.

Audiovahn also has two units that appear to meet my criteria and I'm looking at those too. But haven't found much else to consider.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:43 PM
snoopdan
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive been considering one of those too, since they're so cheap. Someone was selling them on eaby for like 200 a pop...not to shabby.

Their site doesnt make any sense when talking about changer capabalities, and the "source unit quick look" page is not complete.

"Receivers with changer controls operate same-brand/compatible CD, MD, DVD, or MP3 multi-disc changers."

What the hell do they mean by that? They dont list any changers made by them. Some company is obviously making their head units for them, probably Pyle or Jensen. It looks rebadged.

snoopdan

Last edited by snoopdan; 03-27-2005 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:51 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by snoopdan
Ive been considering one of those too, since they're so cheap. Someone was selling them on eaby for like 200 a pop...not to shabby.

I doubt they run changers though, its just not that high end of a product.

snoopdan
It's MSRP is $899 and is doesn't have a screen.

The best price I've found is a $399.99 special online.

And it's a preamp only unit. the only powered channel is the center channel. Compared to what else is available, it's certainly not low end stuff IMHO.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:31 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know, Denon has made a head unit for RF before, maybe this one really is a gem?
Old 03-27-2005, 11:35 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Both Panasonic and JVC make head units which play DVD's but don't have screens....the JVC is quite cheap (under 300) but have not used either....
Old 03-27-2005, 11:42 PM
snoopdan
Drifting

Originally Posted by 74-Roadster
It's MSRP is $899 and is doesn't have a screen.

The best price I've found is a $399.99 special online.

And it's a preamp only unit. the only powered channel is the center channel. Compared to what else is available, it's certainly not low end stuff IMHO.

Im not crazy. There an ebay store called high desert audio, that is based in Tempe AZ, that apparently gets these head units cheap and resales them on ebay for around $200. Hmmmm, Tempe AZ I said???? Where is Rockford Fosgate located?

Booya ! : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...503325975&rd=1

This same ebay seller also auctions off like pallets of RF and Lightning Audio subs and amps from time to time...thats why I know about it.

Maybe you can snag a deal

snoopdan
Old 03-28-2005, 12:51 AM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Im not crazy. There an ebay store called high desert audio, that is based in Tempe AZ, that apparently gets these head units cheap and resales them on ebay for around $200. Hmmmm, Tempe AZ I said???? Where is Rockford Fosgate located?

This same ebay seller also auctions off like pallets of RF and Lightning Audio subs and amps from time to time...thats why I know about it.

Maybe you can snag a deal snoopdan
Cool!

I e:mailed RF earlier the question, "how can I connect a CD and/or dvd changer to the HU". Since it has an aux input, I'm sure one can be connected, just not controlled though via th HU though.

Hopefully they will e:mail me an answer so I can bid on it as long as the bidding doesn't get much higher.

THANKS!

And thanks for the tips on the JVC and Panasonic units. I've looked at both already. The Panasonic unit is lacking preamp outs, and only has a subwoofer line out. The JVC unit only has 1 pair of preamp outs and I believe they are line level.

Last edited by 74-Roadster; 03-28-2005 at 12:55 AM.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:27 AM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not sure about the output on this, but soundstream makes some in dash dvd players that are under $200 on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

soundstream used to be the thing to get back in the day, i don't know how they rate now but maybe you could check it out and find out for yourself

oh *****!! i dont think these can control a cd changer...nevermind

where can you put a changer in a vette anyways :-D

Last edited by scott_fx; 03-28-2005 at 02:29 AM.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:59 AM
snoopdan
Drifting

Originally Posted by scott_fx
where can you put a changer in a vette anyways :-D

Someone on the forum put a changer in the C4 Breadbox with a breadbox delete. It was kinda slick, I dont remember who did it though

CD changer? nah, DVD changer - YEAH!

snoopdan
Old 03-29-2005, 07:06 AM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Maybe you can snag a deal snoopdan
I let that one go . . . two others are on the block this week. I think this one is my pick. The Audiobahn unit, A3451D, has a lot more features, but also cost almost 3 times the refurbished RF unit . . . And I don't like the silver and blue color.

Both of them and others all have the e-brake connection that'll have to defeat.

Get notified of new replies

To Trying to select a HU . . . RF - RAV DVD1?

Quick Reply: Trying to select a HU . . . RF - RAV DVD1?