Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I've finally selected the H.U. for my new system . . .

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 05:51 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Default I've finally selected the H.U. for my new system . . .

After looking on-line and reading various install information etc. & talking with Randy (EatRice) and PM'ing Scottfx several questions, I've decided on an MP3 head unit and a seperate stand alone DVD player connected to a RF Headphone unit and monitor mounted in the sunvisor.

Here are my list of companents:

Head Unit Sony CDX-M8815X or CDX-M8810 Active Black
Front Polk Momo 6-1/2" components
Rear Polk Momo 5-1/4" coax
Subs Polk Momo 8"
4 Channel Amp Audiobahn True Digital 150w x 4 channels @ 4 ohms
2 Channel Amp Audiobahn A/B 300w x 2 @ 4ohms

DVD Still to be determined
Visor monitor "" "" "" ""
Headphones "" "" "" ""

Custom work I'll be doing:

I'll be rebuilding my lower door panels and doing away with the speaker grills so the new speakers can show.

I'll be building two fiberglass sub enclosures and two fiberglass amp racks that'll sit between the trunk and top storage and act as a sound partition.

I'll be changing the rear speaker mounting locations to just behind the door/seat area

I'll rework the center console considerably to provide a very custom/clean installation.

And who knows what else I'll dream up during the install fabrication!

Thanks for all the help with my quetsions!- I'll take pics as the work progresses and provide updates etc.

Glenn
Old 03-31-2005, 06:09 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow...have fun! sounds likea lot of work but it'll be cool when it's done.

what made you decide on sony, polk and audiobahn?
Old 03-31-2005, 10:13 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by scott_fx
wow...have fun! sounds likea lot of work but it'll be cool when it's done.

what made you decide on sony, polk and audiobahn?
Well, I've always loved Polk Home Audio and I picked up the momo 5-1/4" coax speakers a year ago for rear fill and even with the bose head unit, they are very clear, so I just stuck with my favorite brand. In my limited opinion, the only brand I've heard that sounded as clear are the better quality MB Quart line.

As for the amps, even though Audiobahn seems to have a bad rap on the internet, their specs are very good and two of the younger folks I work with said Audiobahn performs well and I won't be dissapointed. So I went with what met my needs based on specs and price. Audiobahn is a bit too flashy for me, so I may end up painting the chrome.

And the Sony H.U. Well, after deciding I only needed CD/MP3 capabilty, I had no narrow the field, so 3 pairs of high volt preamps outs were a must and several other trivial features as well as CD changer control (may need that) remote control and finally, the deciding factor . . . APPEARANCE The one I selected is smoooth gloss black. And I'm repainting my interior in a similar them but now it'll be purple and black, so the unit will look like it's a part of the overall them. If I could've found purple and black 8" subs, I probably would've given them a shot.

I'm sure I'll have install questions. One already comes to mind, how have ya'll made the door panel snaps more solid/tight to eliminate any vibration?
Old 03-31-2005, 10:21 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 74-Roadster
I'm sure I'll have install questions. One already comes to mind, how have ya'll made the door panel snaps more solid/tight to eliminate any vibration?
this is a job for brownbread/dynamat
Old 03-31-2005, 11:29 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by scott_fx
this is a job for brownbread/dynamat
I'm concerned about the actual snap, tightness, mine plastic connectors allow my panel to move in and out a tad, so I'm thinking some type of adhesive/rubber etc. on the head of the plastic snap.

Get notified of new replies

To I've finally selected the H.U. for my new system . . .

Quick Reply: I've finally selected the H.U. for my new system . . .