Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Anyone use actuators in their amp racks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 09:33 AM
QuikZilver
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anyone use actuators in their amp racks?

Has anyone motorized their amp racks? If so, could you please post pictures of your setup? I am playing around with motorizing an amp rack in my Z06. Just wondering what others have done here. Thanks!
Old 06-11-2005, 09:47 AM
EatRice
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not motorized an amp rack in a C5 but have used actuators and other motors many times before. I had a Honda Accord that the back seat motorized down, trunk lid up,glove box open and close, and three panels in the trunk moved. I am proably going to motorize something in my new C5 install but not sure yet.

Motorization is sweet when done properly...people will flip over it. I would love to see what you do.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:17 PM
QuikZilver
Le Mans Master

EatRice...
Got any pictures from past installs? What brand do you recommend? I am looking at motorizing the lid (plexiglass) to my amp rack, I am currently designing. I am still trying to decide if I want the amp rack flat or at an angle. If I go with an angle, I may add a couple of drawers that I would motorize as well (store the "Z06 Spare Tire" kit in 1 and have 1 or 2 more for general storage (maybe towels and detailing stuff for shows). Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!!
Old 06-15-2005, 01:11 PM
EatRice
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will have to dig for some digital motorization pics. Most of what I have is hard copy. I would try to stay away from using an actuator if you can. I only use them when I have to move something heavy. Actuators are bulky, noisy, and expensive. Other options include power window motors, power antenna motors, power seat motors, servos, and door lock actuators. The trick to really sweet motorization is not to see the motor or the guides. Guides being hinges or drawer slides. Also the less noise it makes the better.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:30 PM
QuikZilver
Le Mans Master

I was looking at Select Products (www.selectproducts.com) with their actuators. It is a little pricy ($284.70 for either a 4" or 6" actuator), but these are little. The motors and controls are separate from the actuator to make them ideal for small locations. These are also supposed to be quiet. I am still looking for other solutions as well. Fishman has some actuators as well. I'll have to check out door lock actuators and servos to see if there could be another solution. For what I want to do, I think the antenna motors, window motors, or seat motors would be too big. I'll keep you up to date as to what I end up using. If you do find any pictures, that would be great!! Also, if you don't mind, once I get close to building this thing, can I PM questions I might run into on this? Thanks a lot!!

Neil

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone use actuators in their amp racks?

Quick Reply: Anyone use actuators in their amp racks?