Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

sub in storage compartment c4

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 11:34 AM
jjgkdg
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sub in storage compartment c4

I have a 10" sub in the passengerside storage compartment. All I did was fabricate a lid out of mdf, cut a hole for the sub and bolt it all down. My problem is well, the bass is weak. I have a 300 watt 2 channel amp bridged. It should pound. I had the same sub in a full size bronco in a reflex box with half the power and it would vibrate my liver. What gives??
Old 11-22-2005, 01:54 PM
chillcat
Drifting

perhaps its not a great enclosure your trying to make it into. Try a mdf box that slips into the hole or fabricate a cloth resin chamber attached to the board your using and let it slip inside. Using the proper amount of volume. info on the sub and amp might help too
Old 11-22-2005, 02:46 PM
jjgkdg
Racer

It's a 10" mtx sub thats probably 12 years old. Specs?? Maybe I knew 12 years ago. Like I said it ,would pound in the bass reflex box I had it in. I may not have it sealed up good enough. Would poly fill help??
Old 11-22-2005, 03:34 PM
Shaun R
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its not sealed correctly, its not going to hit much/at all. Being that the speaker is old and you do not know the exact specs, just put something together that fits nicely in the hole and is sealed up and you will be more than happy.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:15 PM
chillcat
Drifting

heres what I would do in your case, take out the frame/doors and carpet inside the bin, get a can of resin and hardener and place resin cloths around all corners and edges of inside chamber and coat them with the resin/hardener mix. should sound proof the inside alot better, then go to a hardware store and buy a rubber mat and cut a frame out of it (matching the mdf frame you have cut) to make it even more air tight, place that rubber frame piece between the mdf and the storage bin and screw down, then put alot of polyfill inside. That might sound pretty good, but coat the inside "as best as you can" with the fiberglass goo/cloth--will be a messy job, so cover everything you can with newspaper or plastic...good luck!!
Old 11-22-2005, 10:37 PM
jjgkdg
Racer

Default Thanks

I believe I will build a small box out of mdf, is 1 foot deep enough or should it be deeper? How much poly should I use? Thanks for the advise guys..
Old 11-22-2005, 10:48 PM
FD2BLK
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I lined the inside with dyno mat and sealed the plate from the bottom and my 12" RF will jar your fillings out.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:38 PM
jjgkdg
Racer

Default update

I took the piece of mdf off, lined it with weatherstripping, stuffed the hole with poly fil. What a difference, it hits MUCH harder. Thanks, guys , for all the input and advice. Jim
Old 11-28-2005, 02:28 PM
OrthoAggie
Le Mans Master

if you want to wait a few weeks I should have finished the boxes that i am developing that will drop right into that compartment.

You need a proper enclosure for any sub (unless it is a free-air sub although not very common anymore). using the cavity by itself is not the greatest enclosure as the walls are very thin and not very stiff which will cause your sub to loose output. Also not having your sub sealed well will cause you to loose output.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:10 PM
JoeyGibson
Racer

Originally Posted by deiaggie
if you want to wait a few weeks I should have finished the boxes that i am developing that will drop right into that compartment.

You need a proper enclosure for any sub (unless it is a free-air sub although not very common anymore). using the cavity by itself is not the greatest enclosure as the walls are very thin and not very stiff which will cause your sub to loose output. Also not having your sub sealed well will cause you to loose output.

What are the boxes made out of ? I've thought about stuffing tin foil in the compartment to get a mold, then pull it out and fiberglass the inside of the foil mold to get a drop in box for the compartment. Been looking at a 8" square sub as the box and opening are square.

I'm not look for a big boomer or thumper, just something to enhance my old time rock & roll. would 300 rms watts be enouph for an 8" sub ?
Old 12-06-2005, 04:19 AM
snoopdan
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the only prototype subthump box for C4's if you're interested.

I dont need it, ive moved on to bigger and better things.

here is a side shot of it, as you can see the box design negotiates the weird contours of the well.

I have all the pictures of the development of it, even have fiberglass forms of the storage well you can have with the deal. I was gonna use them as a fiberglass solution but I went a totally different way.

id sell it for $80 plus shipping. Make it a good home and id be happy.

if interested, PM me.... i dont come by this forum too often anymore

or stop by my website and post something :

http://www.basswhores.com
Old 12-11-2005, 07:16 PM
duckyfred
8th Gear

I'm interested in the subthump box if it is not taken.
mf7171@yahoo.com

Thanks
Old 12-12-2005, 09:06 PM
duckyfred
8th Gear

Snoopdan,

Tried to PM you but your box is full.
Very interested in the box.
Please let me know if it is available and how I can get it.
Thanks
Old 12-13-2005, 12:58 PM
OrthoAggie
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JoeyGibson
What are the boxes made out of ? I've thought about stuffing tin foil in the compartment to get a mold, then pull it out and fiberglass the inside of the foil mold to get a drop in box for the compartment. Been looking at a 8" square sub as the box and opening are square.

I'm not look for a big boomer or thumper, just something to enhance my old time rock & roll. would 300 rms watts be enouph for an 8" sub ?
3/4" MDF and fiberglass

Get notified of new replies

To sub in storage compartment c4

Quick Reply: sub in storage compartment c4