Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Aux in for stock bose c5 with 12 disc changer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 10:21 PM
BarneyZ
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Default Aux in for stock bose c5 with 12 disc changer?

One of the techs at Soundgate suggested that I use their "Universal Multi-Source Aux Input Switcher", model AUX3, to add an audio in to my C5 (stock bose with changer, which I want to keep). Anyone tried this? Any opinions ?

Check it out at:

http://www.soundgate.com/index.php?r...&usereferrer=1

Thanks and Regards,

BarneyZ
Old 12-28-2005, 01:50 AM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check out the c5 audio faq, it will tell you how to build an inexpensive aux input while keeping the stock changer.. about $20 in parts.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:54 AM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

add this to the mix and have it switch automatically when the aux source is turned on (you'll still have to switch it to aux mode, but when you turn off your aux source it will automatically switch back to the cd changer.)
Old 12-28-2005, 06:13 AM
BarneyZ
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Scott-

Thanks for the reply. I saw Sticky's schematic but was totally unfamiliar with the parts required (electricity is not my thing). Where could I buy the parts? How would an "AUX3" switch fit in? Sorry for being so slow with this stuff!

Barney
Old 12-28-2005, 01:39 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

no problem, i take this stuff for granted some times.

basically a relay is an electronic switch. when power is applied to the relay it acts the same as if you just flipped a toggle switch.

now the cd changer cable has power, ground, data signal (to control the cd changer) and audio signal (left +, left -, right +, & right -) with the relay we fool the head unit by highjacking the cd changers audio signals and replacing them with the mp3 players audio signal. In order for the h/u to stay in aux mode though it needs to be told by the cd changer that the cd changer is still playing music. That's why there needs to be a cd in the changer for this to work.

so...if you're still with me on this. What we are doing is inserting an electrical switch that toggle the audio signal wires at the same time. (the relay that you are going to get has enough terminals to toggle all 4 leads at the same time)

now you are probably wondering how to have the relay toggle back and forth. well all you need to do is hook it up like you would hook up any simple electronic device; for instance a light bulb, you want 12 volt + with a toggle switch then that will go to post no 85 on the relay. then post no 86 will just need to be grounded. when you flip the topple switch it will give the relay 12+ volts and it will in turn activate the relay which will toggle the audio signal leads from the cd changer to the aux device of your choice.

i hope im not clouding up the explanation....

before i forget:
to make things easier on yourself you can purchase a relay socket that has screw posts. just pop the relay in and then you'll have a bunch of easy to use terminals.

now you asked how the aux3 switch would fit in. well if you dont want to have an unsightly toggle switch mounted on your dash then this will replace that. the aux3 is abasically another relay but it works a bit differently. instead of 12+ volt activating the relay it waits to see an audio signal. when you turn on your mp3 player it will send an audio signal that will flip the relay. if you place this in line of the toggle switch you probably can figure out what would happen. it will act like the toggle and send 12volts to the other relay and have that relay toggle on allowing the mp3 audio signal to be highjacked.

now i think i confused myself.... let me know if it isn't clear and i'll try to explain it another way.

here are some links about relays:
http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/hweb2.pdf
http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp

Get notified of new replies

To Aux in for stock bose c5 with 12 disc changer?

Quick Reply: Aux in for stock bose c5 with 12 disc changer?