Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Effect of cover over subthump box?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 05:42 PM
mneblett
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Default Effect of cover over subthump box?

Hi, all --

I'm planning on keeping my stock head unit, but replacing the speakers/Bose amps.

Rather than asking a generic "How do I do it?" question, I've been searching and gleaning info from hundreds (thousands?) of posts -- what a great resource! I'm also about 2/3 through a reference, "The Car Stereo Cookbook" (sort of an "audio for dummies" ).

That said, I have one question for which I haven't been able to find a definitive answer.

I have an '04 coupe, and was planning on a 10" sub in the subthump box in the center rear compartment. I *really* don't want to leave the sub exposed, both to prevent damage to the speaker, and to avoid putting the box on display for thieves (this is my daily driver, so she's out a lot).

The Question: What would be the effect of putting the factory center compartment cover back in place over the box?

The impression I have from my reading is that because bass below ~100Hz is felt more than heard, this should not be a major problem, particular since my "demands" aren't extreme -- I'm not into mega-thumping; mostly country (Reba McEntire), Rock (60's-80's), and some of Classical (Vivaldi, Strauss) (a bit eccletic, no? ) at moderately high volume.

So, thoughts? comments? futher suggestions?

Thanks!
Mark
Old 02-06-2006, 08:43 PM
fej
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan on doing the same thing with mine and it is also a daily driver. You will lose some bass output both in volume and most likely a bit in the musicality/accuracy areas due to the woofer having to "play through" the cover. You are effectively muffling the sound some. If you are not in to a lot of bass throw an extra 50-100 watts at the sub and you will never know the difference.

G'luck
Fej
Old 02-06-2006, 09:36 PM
mneblett
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Thanks, Fej!
Old 02-07-2006, 01:12 AM
unstressed
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

You will give up a ton in sound quality and volume, just tried it on my setup which is similar to what you want to do.

Remember that you are moving air to make sound, putting the cover over the sub reduces it's ability to move air.

Worst is that you lose the "Tone" of the sub, makes it a one note sub.

Just MHO.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:52 PM
fej
Melting Slicks

Hmm sounds like it might hurt worse than I thought What my plan was on mine was to keep the back 1/6th flip up open for stereo use to give it a very large "port" lol.

Will have to experiment some with mine when I get it going.

Fej
Old 02-07-2006, 04:04 PM
DPG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

just get a frc, you wont have to worry guys

it will be interesting what you guys come up with though as far as a cover. Only thing i would be able to think of is a fine black mesh to blend in with the carpet. But thats probably restrictive as well
Old 02-07-2006, 04:50 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can get acoustically transparent speaker cloth and put that in front of a wire mesh (for stability) and have a pretty clean and hidden look.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:20 PM
DPG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by scott_fx
you can get acoustically transparent speaker cloth and put that in front of a wire mesh (for stability) and have a pretty clean and hidden look.
i think that this way would be the closest you can get without actually covering it with something solid
Old 02-28-2006, 01:36 AM
bfhawki
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Here is what I did on my cover so I wouldn't loose any sound quality and also keep a stealth look and protect my sub. I had some thin gauge aluminum floorplate left over from another project and used it for my cover. I used the factory cover as a pattern for the new cover. I covered it with some acoustically transparent black carpet that I picked up at a stereo shop. I took the factory latches out of the factory cover and put in the aluminum cover. Next project is to build a cover for my amp that will conceal it up to the heat sinks for more of a stealth look in the back. I am using a SubThump Stealth 12" box and an Image Dynamics IDQ 12D2 V.2 I am really impressed with this sub, great sound quality and it will rock if you want it to. I finally took the time to learn how to post pictures!!!

Last edited by bfhawki; 02-28-2006 at 01:40 AM.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:48 AM
DPG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

great idea bfhawki

The problem i have is with the Z06. We dont have the factory latches in the center compartment. Only on the center cover. So there is no real way of keeping it covered and to stay put once the bass starts to hit. Mine just vibrates loose and the cover rattle like crazy. My center cover with the 1/4 of it that flips up has velcro and that doesnt hold in very well with the bass hitting either. Im in a FRC so i dont have to worry much about it other than when im storing stuff. Its you coupe guys that need to come up with something that i can copy
Old 02-28-2006, 10:17 AM
fej
Melting Slicks

DPG just do like I am going to and keep your golf clubs in the back I hope that works for me at least heh .. will know tonight.

Fej
Old 02-28-2006, 10:20 AM
DPG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by fej
DPG just do like I am going to and keep your golf clubs in the back I hope that works for me at least heh .. will know tonight.

Fej
damn that means im gonna have to pick up golfing. i play sports that dont take up that much space. Softball and volleyball....haha. Looks i'll have to pick up some more sports, like this golf thing
Old 02-28-2006, 10:26 AM
bfhawki
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '06

I play alot of golf and I wanted something strong enough to protect my sub. I can still get 2 sets of clubs in the car and still jam .
Old 02-28-2006, 12:13 PM
Black$heep
Drifting

This is what I did. Tent those windows to hide whats onteh inside.
Speaker
Old 03-01-2006, 10:43 PM
megabass
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DPG
great idea bfhawki

The problem i have is with the Z06. We dont have the factory latches in the center compartment. Only on the center cover. So there is no real way of keeping it covered and to stay put once the bass starts to hit. Mine just vibrates loose and the cover rattle like crazy. My center cover with the 1/4 of it that flips up has velcro and that doesnt hold in very well with the bass hitting either. Im in a FRC so i dont have to worry much about it other than when im storing stuff. Its you coupe guys that need to come up with something that i can copy
You can add those same brackets and cover to a zo6. Just buy them and put them on.

Get notified of new replies

To Effect of cover over subthump box?

Quick Reply: Effect of cover over subthump box?