Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wiring harness to interface to factory setup?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2001, 12:58 PM
rcwalters
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Wiring harness to interface to factory setup?

I'm thinking about adding a sub. Based on 99HT's info, looks like I will need to cut into the factory wiring. Is there a wiring harness I could add and cut into that instead? I'm thinking like maybe an extension harness, with one end connecting to the radio and the other end connecting into the car harness. But if that's not available, just two pieces, one with the radio end and another with the car end would be OK too I suppose. Anybody?
Old 08-13-2001, 01:18 PM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Wiring harness to interface to factory setup? (rcwalters)

They usually make harnesses to plug into the original harness and then have loose wires on the other end you can connet to a radio harness. Unforturnately, the Bose will not have the radio harness as this is what you are plugging into to begin with. (harness is replacing the bose radio at the plug)
You can splice into the wires behind the radio. I would suggest doing this with either crimps or solder and wire shrink wrap. Then, run these wires to a conversion unit that converts from high power to RCA level. Run the RCA to an amp and the amp will power the sub. This is how most places will do it with any stock system. I don't know C5s but as far as I know they still haven't changed the system that dramatically. I wouldn't get to much sub and amp as that part of your system will easily overpower the weak Bose setup. The good part is that if you want to upgrade, your sub and amp are already to go. Beware of noise when you do this and use good wire and grounds. Hope this helps.
92TripleBlack

[Modified by 92TripleBlack, 11:18 AM 8/13/2001]

Quick Reply: Wiring harness to interface to factory setup?