Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Subwoofer and box questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 08:13 PM
backnblack2003z06
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Subwoofer and box questions

I'm going to add a Sub to the stock c5 bose system. I'm looking for a 10" sub (I don't want the bass to be overpowering ). I have a RF punch 301s amp to drive it with (rated at "900 watts") so I'm sure its more like 300 rms. I'm looking for some sub recommendations and also I can't seem to find a 10 inch box that mounts flush in the center of the trunk. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:23 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check out www.subthump.com for the box
www.cardomain.com (there is a link for the car domain store) and click on image dynamics subs. (i'd say go with a 12", you can always tone it down but at least you'll have the larger woofer when you need it. 300 wrms will push the I.D. sub nicely.

and check out the faq on how to hook everything up because you'll need some bose interfaces to hook up the amp
Old 03-31-2006, 05:46 PM
Al '92
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I built my own box a few years ago and it is really easy if you have some basic wood working skills and the tools. Mine drops into the center storage compartment and is pretty much flush with the floor. I use a JL 10W0 and it has plenty of bass. Use a good brand of sub and amp and you'll get plenty of power.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:57 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

i have box plans if you want them, just send me an email and i'll send you the plans. if you dont have the materials, be warned...by the time you get everything built and finished you are looking at around the same cost as a subthump 10" stealth box
Old 03-31-2006, 10:29 PM
adown
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That subthump box is pretty cool but takes up much needed air volume for a sub. What about cutting out the carpet (or what ever they call it) that lines that space and just fastening a lid right to it, and of course seal it with silicon. Same thing for a lot cheaper and more usable airspace. As far as sub choice, look for a Pioneer TS-SW124d. It's a 12" with recessed full size magnet. It will mount as shallow as 3 3/4" and I think will work with as little as .8 CF of air for a sealed inclosure. I just put one in (the wifes car) and cant wait to get one for mine. You wont find it at the chain stores. You can see it on Pioneers web site. Check it out

Last edited by adown; 03-31-2006 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:29 PM
adown
Racer

I just checked thier site. The 12 works with .5-1.0 cf, and they do have a 10". Its the TS-SW1041d, works w/ .3-.7cf sealed inclosure. The 12" also got a new name for this year, its now the TS-SW1241d.

Last edited by adown; 03-31-2006 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:47 AM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by adown
That subthump box is pretty cool but takes up much needed air volume for a sub. What about cutting out the carpet (or what ever they call it) that lines that space and just fastening a lid right to it, and of course seal it with silicon. Same thing for a lot cheaper and more usable airspace. As far as sub choice, look for a Pioneer TS-SW124d. It's a 12" with recessed full size magnet. It will mount as shallow as 3 3/4" and I think will work with as little as .8 CF of air for a sealed inclosure. I just put one in (the wifes car) and cant wait to get one for mine. You wont find it at the chain stores. You can see it on Pioneers web site. Check it out
whoa! that is dedication. i'd never bolt down just a lid to that area. plus...unless you're looking at w7 type subs or ported enclosures the subthump boxes will get you where you want to go and damage the car. You're also talking about a compromise sub. the ts-sw1041d is great if you have limitations on mounting depth, but we aren't 'that' restricted. You can probably get better sound from a regular sub with enough power in the correct box then you could with the same requirements met on that shallow mount sub.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:56 AM
adown
Racer

Just a thought on saving money for the box, but those Pioneer Premier subs are NOT comprimise subs.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:55 AM
fej
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The airspace in the subthump box is roughly .20ft^3 down from advertised (so say .78 to .80). If you cannot find a sub that works in that airspace sealed you are not looking in the right places .. or just not looking at all

You can trick the sub into thinking it is in an approximately 30% bigger box with polyfill as well. The major hurdle with the c5 and a sub enclosure is mounting depth. If you want a ton of bass, you have to go big watts and custom enclosure basically. And you have to give up the "stealth" approach as well as some IMO valuable trunk space.

There are tons of options to get high quality, high volume bass in a c5 without resorting to mounting a face board for a sub over the compartment in the rear and hoping it seals well enough.

Fej
Old 04-01-2006, 09:17 PM
00Hawk#140
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Look at ARC audio too..... I went to listen to a IDQ sub by ID, and then heard the ARC... it was cleaner sounding to me... i was told by the Audio shop guy the ARC was better for me since I like rock and metal and some rap......... It's really a tough choice... still haven't finished my system and Need a HU, so i can't say how good the sub will sound in a vette.......

try to find the Image and ARC and listen to them

Tim
Old 04-01-2006, 11:01 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by adown
Just a thought on saving money for the box, but those Pioneer Premier subs are NOT comprimise subs.
i'm not trying to offend or attack your choice, and i agreee that pioneer subs aren't a compromise. they have one sub that is amazing. but, what i'm trying to say is that they had to make certain sacrifices to get the sub to be a shallow mount. so yes THAT particular type of design does limit the sub's performance. If it didnt they would take that design and apply it to all of there subs or they'd at least have a very high power version.

Get notified of new replies

To Subwoofer and box questions

Quick Reply: Subwoofer and box questions