Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Help find pre run CD wires in trunk

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 10:59 PM
Boeingman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help find pre run CD wires in trunk

Installing my IPOD2CAR tonight and can't find the so called pre run cd changer wire in trunk to plug in my adapter as per it's instructions.

Where do I begin to look? I have a ragtop vette and don't have a OEM CD changer (no cd changer at all) I've heard that the factory wire shoud be there though?? Obviously the factory wirng isn't just laying there in the trunk or I would have found it. It must be under the carpeting in the trunk but on wich side driver or pax. I removed the rear center carpet and didn't see anything anything. Please help this is taking much longer than it's suppose to.

Ned help and frustrated
matt
Old 03-30-2006, 11:11 PM
techguy
Instructor

if it is anywhere ... it will be in the passenger footwell panel..

If its there .... they are all not prewired

Good Luk
Old 03-30-2006, 11:13 PM
Boeingman
Instructor

So if it is pre wired will it have a some some sort of neatly rolled wire in there complete with plug ?
Old 03-30-2006, 11:19 PM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

if your car did not come from the factory with a 12 disc CD changer then there is NO harness running to the trunk.

the pre wire PLUGS are located in the passenger side footwell, you plug the changer harness into those 2 plugs.

Old 03-30-2006, 11:20 PM
techguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by RPOZ4Z
if your car did not come from the factory with a 12 disc CD changer then there is NO harness running to the trunk.

the pre wire PLUGS are located in the passenger side footwell, you plug the changer harness into those 2 plugs.

Exactly ..

Old 03-30-2006, 11:22 PM
Boeingman
Instructor

K guys let me go look
Old 03-30-2006, 11:46 PM
Boeingman
Instructor

Ok went to foot well and I do see some plugs in there but none match the wiring that came with the IPOD2AR kit I bought at best buy.

Got a feeling I'm going to need to another cable. Damn this is getting expensive just for this IPOD.

Damn it now I got the center console out, radio out, and the rear trunk torn up. Got nothing accomplished. Frustrating!
Old 03-30-2006, 11:50 PM
techguy
Instructor

ok --

Sorry for not being clear...

You need the OEM Changer Cable FIRST - then that will plus into the car ---

After that -- then your Ipod part will plug into the other end of the factory changer Cable ...

Hope that clears it up..
Old 03-31-2006, 12:01 AM
Boeingman
Instructor

Originally Posted by techguy
ok --

Sorry for not being clear...

You need the OEM Changer Cable FIRST - then that will plus into the car ---

After that -- then your Ipod part will plug into the other end of the factory changer Cable ...

Hope that clears it up..
Yes, this does clear it up and thank you greatly.

I just looked up the price on this cable: Like 60$, 70$ something with shipping. Not sure if if all this is worth it. The IPOD2CAR kit cost me, with tax, close to 200$ already (and by the way the IPOD2CAR kit specifically said "all you need to connect your factory GM radio to your IPOD included, nothing extra to buy"). Well now we see this is not the exact truth.

Is there any other option to conect this thing without spending another 70 bucks?

Man this seriously sucks
Matt

Last edited by Boeingman; 03-31-2006 at 12:51 AM.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:37 AM
DPG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

when i ordered mine, i got the wrong cable. the one that plugs into the trunk. SO i emailed them and got the right cable. The correct cable plugs into the back of the headunit and will give you a split wire hirness sp you can plug your ipod into it.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:09 AM
Boeingman
Instructor

Originally Posted by DPG
when i ordered mine, i got the wrong cable. the one that plugs into the trunk. SO i emailed them and got the right cable. The correct cable plugs into the back of the headunit and will give you a split wire hirness sp you can plug your ipod into it.
I found the part number that I need to hook the Ipod2Car diretly to the radio. Really greatfull for all the posts. It looks like the part that I need goes for around 25$. Still sucks that the packeging on the kit said 'all included'. (again but not whAt I need)

The actual kit came with the IPOD2CAR adapter, the cord that conects the ipod to the adapter, and 3 different cords for you to choose from, one of wich suppose to work for your GM vehicle/application so that the vehicle can be conected to the adapter. (Again, not for my appliaction though). You also get an IPOD cradle for mounting your IPOD to the car.

I'll be calling IPOD2CAR customer sevice and see what they have to say about their advertisng/claims on the package. Probably won't do any good but whatever...

Well, time to get some sleep now. I did manage to reassemble the car tonight after that huge waste of my time. You guys and your info did come to the rescue.

PS: I also reread and reread the instructions that came with this kit and although they do anotate various notes, cautions, and warnings concerning different vehicles and compatibilities with this kit no where did it emphasize that this kit would require an additional purchase for the 1997-2004 corvette. In fact they said this kit would work and that the IPOD2CAR would plug into the "CD changer plug located in trunk".

Matt
Old 03-31-2006, 08:04 AM
neile
Racer

CI 3-5-8 Veteran

Default IPOD2CAR - Harness needed

I went through the same hunt for the harness on my Y2K Vert. No harness. I installed the AUX2CAR using the Peripheral harness PXHGM4.
This entails pulling the console bezel, pulling the radio head unit out and un-pluging the 21something cable and inserting the PXHGM4 cable into the radio, and then pluging the the other end into the harness connector. The third connector on the PXHGM4 plugs into the AUX2CAR adapter (should be the same with the IPOD2 CAR). You can dress the cable so that the module fits in the space direcly behind the rear radio support bracket. The harness was around $20.

Neil.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:28 PM
Boeingman
Instructor

Well after officially advising IPOD2CAR (tech Dept)of their screw up in advertising, packaging and consumer info/literature, all they told me was to return the unit at the Best Buy. That they were aware of the problem and that I had bought an older package deal. They explained that their new packaging has fixed the problem. (apparently it now advises corvette owners that their package/kit works only if it has existing pre run CD changer wires. That corvette owners will need to get an extra cable part number gmh20t if a factory CD changer did not come installed as OEM).

I asked if they carry this gmh20t wire. They said they did but it was not for sale to private indiduales. I explaned of the hassle they put me through and if there was any chance they could offer this wire free of charge to me and call this problem resolved. I was then given their customer service number to call and explain.

I never got through to Customer serv. I got the typical endless circle of recordings, followed by the disconects, followed by the busy signals, followed by the leave your number for call back. Yeah I'm sure they will call me back.

Sorry for venting, but my main purpose for posting this is to prevent the next C5 driver from falling victom as well.

Hope I was able to help the next guy as some of you have helped me

Matt
Old 03-31-2006, 05:51 PM
DPG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Sorry to hear all your troubles and run arounds for some service. I ordered mine from some web site and their site did say there was a difference with a trunk and radio install, but only gave me an option for one. SO i ordered anyway and recieved what you did. Just the cable to connect to an existing changer. So i emailed them telling them that their site was off and they said that they will ship that extra cable out, but would have to charge me for the cable. Recieved the cable a week later and they never charged me, lucky me. Hope everything works out for you and keep calling them, or try to get one from where you bought it. I bought mine from www.theistore.com Maybe they can send you a cable. The cost they were supposed to charge me for a cable was $19.xx something. Good luck

Dave
Old 04-03-2006, 05:06 PM
Boeingman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Boeingman
Well after officially advising IPOD2CAR (tech Dept)of their screw up in advertising, packaging and consumer info/literature, all they told me was to return the unit at the Best Buy. That they were aware of the problem and that I had bought an older package deal. They explained that their new packaging has fixed the problem. (apparently it now advises corvette owners that their package/kit works only if it has existing pre run CD changer wires. That corvette owners will need to get an extra cable part number gmh20t if a factory CD changer did not come installed as OEM).

I asked if they carry this gmh20t wire. They said they did but it was not for sale to private indiduales. I explaned of the hassle they put me through and if there was any chance they could offer this wire free of charge to me and call this problem resolved. I was then given their customer service number to call and explain.

I never got through to Customer serv. I got the typical endless circle of recordings, followed by the disconects, followed by the busy signals, followed by the leave your number for call back. Yeah I'm sure they will call me back.

Sorry for venting, but my main purpose for posting this is to prevent the next C5 driver from falling victom as well.

Hope I was able to help the next guy as some of you have helped me

Matt
Must give cradit to Peripheral product,

Today Monday, April 3rd, I did get a call back from Periphaeral product's customer service manager and she advised me she was briefed by their tech department about what happened with my install of their IPOD2CAR package/kit. She apologized for the older package I bought and said she will be sending, by 2 day mail, the extra wire that I need free of any additional charges.

As far as I'm concrened I am satisfied with this resolution and I must give credit to these folks for making things right. I'll post on sound quality after my instal.

Matt

Get notified of new replies

To Help find pre run CD wires in trunk

Quick Reply: Help find pre run CD wires in trunk