Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 11:23 AM
90 Convertible
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need some advice

I just ordered new carpet, cowboys insulation kit, and 100 sq ft of b-quiet ultimate to install in my 90 convertible. I am hoping this will quiet the cabin considerably. My current system consists of an Alpine 9815 head unit, infinity perfect 6.1 comps in back, infinity 4in 2ways in front, and powered by a JL 300/4. I am not happy with the system at all driving down the road.

I plan on building enclosures for the front sill so I can put 5.25 comps in the front hoping this will sound much better. I don't think I will be able to fit my 6.1 in the limited amout of space. What would be a good 5.25 speaker to put in the front in around the $300 price range. I was looking at the MB PCE-213 but I havent found any in town to listen too. Also, the factory carpet that covers the front speakers is unavailable so any suggestions on what to cover them with.

I will also like to put two 8in JL subs in the rear compartments. The convertibles have sealed enclosures on the back wall so I wont have to build a box. They do appear to have more volume than is needed so will I have to fill it with anything to make it sound good. Also, will the JL 300/4 bridged on 3/4 be enough to power them (150 watts) or should I be looking at a bigger amp. I would like to use only one amp due to the limited amount of space with the top down.

I just want to do this right this time and be satisfied with the results. Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for the help.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:30 AM
fej
Melting Slicks

Hmm someone with a c4 built custom pods to house a 3 way set up with 6.5" in the pods, 4 and tweet on the panel I believe.

As for the 8's it seems a pretty popular mod for the c4 style and I know there will be a few that chime in there to do that. Most 8's with 150 quality watts will work pretty well. You will have to wire them up to see for yourself however.

Having done some edead v3 liquid and cowboy's kit in mine it will definitely quiet your interior down a noticeable amount when you get finished. I would make sure to do a fair amount in the wheel well area in the rear as well. The firewall should have come with some decent insulation from the factory but a little more never hurts.

Are you using the crossover functions at all on the 9815?

Might be able to tune in some more volume by raising the crossover point on the 4's in the front and giving them some more power.

Fej
Old 04-04-2006, 05:52 PM
90 Convertible
Pro

Originally Posted by fej
Are you using the crossover functions at all on the 9815?

Fej
I am not using crossover function at this time. I will read the manuel and play with the settings. thanks
Old 04-04-2006, 06:07 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,679 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Originally Posted by fej
Hmm someone with a c4 built custom pods to house a 3 way set up with 6.5" in the pods, 4 and tweet on the panel I believe.
Fej
I believe Bogus has that

Yes, if you can get those Infinity Perfects 6.1s in the customs kicks. If you can't swing toss in, try the 5.1s Here is my C5 with two sets of 6.1s

Old 04-04-2006, 06:38 PM
fej
Melting Slicks

No problem

It is not the best for accuracy or your soundstage, but moving those 4" speakers up to around 120 to 150hz should help you add some more gain to them at the amp and keep them from distorting from trying to play too low. Most 4" speakers advertise that they can play down to 70hz but they have no business being there The 9815 is a nice deck with a lot of features built in, I have one in my WRX.

Fej
Old 04-05-2006, 01:02 PM
adown
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run Fosgate 8" fanatic Q's in the rear (88c4). Pulled out the stock box and made an adapter out of 3/4" mdf. 61/2" FQ's in the door w/ 1/2"mdf behind the door for stiffnes and anothe piece of 1/2" for the speaker to mount to recessed in the first one w/ the tweets mounted in the door pull area. all powered by an altec 365. It took a couple days w/ all the custom wood work, but well worth it. Sorry,,,, my main point here was, good speakers will fit in the factory locations w/ a little ingenuity.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:12 PM
90 Convertible
Pro

adown, 90-96 do not have door speakers, they are mounted on the door sills (stupid GM), not the best speaker position as they are blocked by your legs. Anyone else with a C4 want to chime in.

Get notified of new replies

To Need some advice

Quick Reply: Need some advice