Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Should I can the stock stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2001, 04:31 PM
DRACULA
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Default Should I can the stock stereo?

When I bought my C4, the stock Bose system was crapped out. The guy I bought it from had already had the radio fixed once before. I had a Kenwood system put in just so I would have something to listen too, and was planning on replacing the original system later to keep the car stock. I've read where some of y'all have slammed the GM stereo's. Should I just upgrade my Kenwood (it's underpowered right now), or go back to the stock Bose system? :confused:
Old 08-24-2001, 11:18 AM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Should I can the stock stereo? (Eric A)

Upgrade the Kenwood. You can always put the stock stuff in later but if you want the sound, you need to upgrade, especially with a ragtop like me.
92TripleBlack
Stock for now except No CAGS, Nakamichi MB-75, 3 soundstream amps (600 Watts), 6 1/2 Boston Pro Series seperates front, 4 1/2 Boston Pro Series Rear, Boston Pro Series 12" Sub, Phoenix Gold crossover.
Old 08-24-2001, 03:43 PM
95DropTop
Pro

Default Re: Should I can the stock stereo? (92TripleBlack)

How did you fit all of that into your vert?????? :eek:
Old 08-24-2001, 10:48 PM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Should I can the stock stereo? (95DropTop)

Custom box. I made an enclosure in the rear that housed the sub and the seperates in three seperate sealed enclosures. The subs enclosure was seperated like a capital T with the seperates in two cubes to make the T into a square. The amps are mounted on an angle on the front of the box. The volume is perfect and the roof will just touch the box when it is down. I could probably fit a six pack of beer back there if I spread the cans around when the roof's down. This is definitely not my practical car. I'll post pictures when I have some.
92TripleBlack

Old 08-31-2001, 03:30 PM
JTsTOY
Racer

I just installed a Kenwood CD in mine. I didn't have the Bose, only AM/FM Cassette :( and wanted to be able to use my CDs. I've heard the Bose and it doesn't sound that great (maybe a little better than the base system that I had), heck the Mach 460 in my Cobra sounded a lot better than the Bose. Anyway since you already have aftermarket in yours, you might be better off just upgrading it. :cheers:
Old 09-02-2001, 12:37 AM
DTor85
Intermediate

Do you really want to listen to stock crud?? :U Any decent aftermarket stereo will sound better than ANY factory premium/gold/platinum/diamond whatever system. If you plan on selling the car in the future, put the factory gear in a box and store it away while you enjoy listening to you favorite music on a good kenwood system. All you need is an amp (I have 2 - one each mounted behind my seats) and whatever speakers you choose to replace the stock snot. BTW: I am 6 feet tall and have no problems w/ being able to put the seat back as far as I want it w/ the amp behind me.
Old 09-05-2001, 11:44 AM
DRACULA
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Default Re: Should I can the stock stereo? (DTor85)

Thanks for the input y'all. :cheers: Looks like I'll stay with the Kenwood. I've had several Kenwood's in the past and always loved them. Maybe if I'm a good boy Santa will bring me an amp. :blueangel:
Old 09-08-2001, 12:01 AM
1988L98
Racer

I would kept that car with the stock radio, believe it or not, Bose do make a good stereo equipment, we work on all types of stereos, when we do a alignment after repair, the frequency adjust procedure is tie. also when you buy that new C-6, it will be easer to sell that C-4" Ha Ha " hope that help. :rolleyes: :D

[Modified by 1988L98, 10:03 PM 9/7/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Should I can the stock stereo?

Quick Reply: Should I can the stock stereo?