Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Surface mount sub in back C5

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2001, 04:45 PM
bfong
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surface mount sub in back C5

Hello,

I am thinking about mounting a 10" in the center compartment flush with the center compartment hard cover. Would I need a freeair sub to make this sound good since the compartment and cover will not really seal too well.

Thanks,

Bill F
Old 08-24-2001, 12:16 AM
Speed-Racer
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Surface mount sub in back C5 (bfong)

I have this with my 12" and it all depends really on the sub.

Some subs require more and some much less air, some are tighter than others and then it depends on your music tastes. Shop for a bass that can handle some air leaks. Although a ported box has "leaks" via a port, mine does leak some, but I can still appreciate the sound. At high power it will distort/create resonance with other stuff in the car, so the enclosure is just 1 factor to deal with. So you know, I can pump up the bass enough to vibrate a screwdriver around and the bass can hit so hard, I worry sometimes it can stop the heart - no joke. I feel the bass like someone is pounding the rear seat. In most cases, that sound level is just for testing.

I would try to seal the enclosure as best you can. Buy some weatherstrip and bolt the thing to the 'glass with some fastener. Then the air leaks will be kept to a min.

what's behind the amp cover -

Speed-Racer
Old 08-24-2001, 11:12 AM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Soundstream makes free air subs. You might want to check them out. Also, you might want to build a box with 3/4 inch MDX to the lid of the compartment to make a sealed enclosure. If you use a single 10", you probably would be OK for air. A Boston Pro uses about .75 cubic feet sealed and it should fit there.
92TripleBlack
Old 08-24-2001, 09:11 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Check out JL Audio's "Stealthbox" for C-5's. It's a fiberglass molded piece that drops right in to the rear center compartment and has on of their 10" Subs in it. I have one and really like it. :yesnod:
Old 08-24-2001, 10:37 PM
00FRCBlue
Instructor

bfong, Were you dissatisfied with the performance of the Infinity Basslink?
Old 08-25-2001, 01:02 AM
bfong
Instructor

Default Re: Surface mount sub in back C5 (00FRCBlue)

No I was not unsatisfied with my basslink. It is actually a nice unit. Just looking for something differnt and 200 watts is 100 shy of what I really wanted. I like the look of the flush mounted sub with the grill look. Plus I did not really want to spend 600 bucks on the JL audio box.

I need a sub in my SUV and got thinking about swapping the basslink in the SUV and doing something alittle more hardcore. Plus I have amps sitting around that I would like to use.
Old 08-25-2001, 05:59 AM
Eric94
Drifting

Default Re: Surface mount sub in back C5 (Speed-Racer)

Speed-Racer,
I love the way you cover the amp. Do you have the measurements for that cover, and how do you keep it in place? Please send the info to my e-mail if you would. Thanks! :cool:
Old 08-26-2001, 04:58 PM
Speed-Racer
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Surface mount sub in back C5 (Eric94)

I had a lot of emails, so here's the details on just the cover -

I used regular plywood 1/8" thick, covered with carpet from PepBoys. I stapled and used spray adhesive.

Panel is sized to PRESS fit, so no fasteners. I would agree velcro may help.
Fan is critical to prevent amp overheating.

Speed-Racer
Old 09-04-2001, 03:25 AM
C5SilverBullet
Team Owner

CI 4, 5 & 9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Here is a pic of mine, you can use a piece of wood to give you more clearence to the compartment.
Old 09-04-2001, 02:32 PM
98pace#870
Racer

I've got a single 12" sub in my center compartment. The shop that did the install built the compartment into a box, as suggested below. Basically, they glued a board down to the top of the area and mounted the sub to that... sealed up nice and tight. Everything was glued down, with no holes needing to be drilled.

They then copied the cover for the compartment and left the original one intact, but you could do it either way. I think the reasoning here was that they would have an easier job fabricating a new one from scratch with the right specs, instead of trying to cut the old one up. The new one just sets in place rather than using the fasteners like the stock one did. If you have seen my amp rack, you would see that they needed to modify the front side of the cover along with just cutting a hole into it.

The single 12" in the sealed enclosure works very well back there. I've got an Infinity Perfect sub running off a Rockford Fosgate 500a2 amp bridged down to 500 watts. Plenty 'o' power...
Old 09-04-2001, 03:12 PM
Speed-Racer
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Surface mount sub in back C5 (98pace#870)

That's a good idea - to make a new cover from scratch. I used the original one, and "played" with it for a while to see it's rigidity, and did some testing. Turns out that maiking it stiffer is a tough proposition - those sheet metal stiffeners are in areas that make attaching extra supports hard - and getting enough carpeting would be a challenge - for that reason left mine alone. Bass is good and hits hard enough.

Speed-Racer
Old 09-05-2001, 05:56 AM
lillysride
Instructor

Default Re: Surface mount sub in back C5 (Tx99FRC)

Can you give me a link to JL ?
Old 09-05-2001, 01:57 PM
wiz357
Instructor

Default Re: Surface mount sub in back C5 (lillysride)

http://www.jlaudio.com/stealthbox/c5.html

It looks like a very nice piece.

Raymond
:cool:
Old 09-05-2001, 02:09 PM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Surface mount sub in back C5 (wiz357)

Now I understand why everyone is buying JL Audio subs. They have a stealth box made special for the C5. Since it is Taylored specifically for the car, it should either take alot of work or money to beat it. Hmmm. Might be worth seeing if the box can be bought seperately and a good driver put into it.
92TripleBlack

[Modified by 92TripleBlack, 12:12 PM 9/5/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Surface mount sub in back C5

Quick Reply: Surface mount sub in back C5