Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C5?HELP! How do I wire the power supply to an aftermarket Amp?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2001, 04:27 PM
mitchmark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5?HELP! How do I wire the power supply to an aftermarket Amp?

I have a 97' C5 Coupe and I have a 10" Kicker Solo-Baric Sub and a 2 channel amp that I want to install. I also have the factory 12 disc changer which has been moved to the passenger side compartment in the back, so I can stick the sub in the middle compartment. I am also going to use the existing factory cassette player for my head unit.
My question is where do you guys get your power supply for the amp and where did you run it from? Also where is the best place to ground it?
I think I can run the powercable directly from the battery under the hood though the firewall back to the amp. I just want to know if there is any other way of doing this? And if you have gone through the firewall any advice where to go through and where to connect it to for the 12V? I took off the panel that is on the passenger side floor, that shows the fuse box, plus I think the ECM or PCM(whatever it is?) that showed some way maybe to tap off of that, but I doubt it. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 09-02-2001, 06:02 PM
DTor85
Intermediate

Default Re: C5?HELP! How do I wire the power supply to an aftermarket Amp? (mitchmark)

You're on the right track. You want to replace the factory + bat terminal w/ an aftermarket on that has multiple "outlets" - a couple 8 awg or 4 awg. This way, you can still hook up your factory wiring and have a space for your ***at least*** 8 awg wire. You also need to install an inline fuse no more than 18 inches from the battery. The size of the fuse will be determined by the gauge of the wire (I have 4 awg wire that I use a 70 amp fuse on). Do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT try to hook your power wire up to some fused link in your fuse box or tap it off of another component :nono: I have seen people do this with disasterous results several times :mad I have an 85, so I cannot give you any advice as to the perfect route for the wire, just make sure if/when you drill through your firewall that you put a rubber grommet in the hole, or at least fill it in w/ silicone caulk so that water does not get through and the wire does not rub or slide back and forth. Also, make sure that when you run the power wire through the car it is as far away from your low voltage signal wire as possible (i.e. your RCA cable running from the head unit to the amp). It's ok to have the power wire close the speaker wire, as the speaker output of the amp is a higher voltage and won't receive interferance from the 12v power wire.
Send us some pics when you get done. Good luck!!!
Old 09-02-2001, 07:28 PM
mitchmark
Instructor

Default Re: C5?HELP! How do I wire the power supply to an aftermarket Amp? (mitchmark)

Thanks for the reply and advice. I already know about all that I have that sruff ready to go. This will be my 5th or 6th time I've done this on my own automobiles. I've had a stereo in my 98 S-10, 98 Blazer, and also 00' Monte Carlo. I just would like to know where some other C5 folks have ran their power cable from and where did they hook them up to.
I just got done with the box, it looks great. :cool:
Once again thanks for the advice, I just need some input from C5 owners that have done this.
Thanks
Old 09-03-2001, 12:19 PM
AllCammedUp
Drifting

Hey guys, hope you don't mind me chiming in. I'm getting ready to install a sub and amp in my 99 coupe, and I've been wondering the same thing!

Where can you order these '+ terminal' replacements that have the different connectors on them? That sounds like the safe way to go. Thanks for any information!
Old 09-03-2001, 12:35 PM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: C5?HELP! How do I wire the power supply to an aftermarket Amp? (WhitneyR)

I would run at least a 4 gauge wire for a single amp and a 2 gauge wire to a splitter for multiple amps. Run through the firewall and put your fuse in the engine compartment before you penetrate the firewall. You can buy battery taps from several manufacturers. Phoenix gold, stinger, streetwires, monster are a few to mention. These makers have various adapters that allow you to connect up to 1 gauge wire directly to the battery and make splitters from that split wires 2, 4, or 8 times. I would make my ground directly to the cars frame for the best chance to avoid engine whine. The parts run from $10 to $50+ dollars each. Example Battery tap($10), +Wire end to connect to tap($10), +Fuse holder(20$) + Fuse(5$)+ splitter(20$) to amps for positive. You get the idea, it adds up fast. Just do a search online for the above makers and I'm sure you'll find what you need. Most sterio stores also carry one or another of these brands. You can also go to best buy or circuit city for these. Just don't buy components there or they will try to sell you cheap stuff that's a waste of time and $$$ like fosgate or sony.
92TripleBlack

Old 09-03-2001, 02:28 PM
Wicked C5
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04

To anwser your question since none of these replys have. You run it through the firewall by the Pcm on the passenger side. I just ran mine last week and it was easier then I thought. There is a big grommett and you pull it out and push the wire through there it will come out right next to the battery

Also on the top left hand side of the PCM there a small wiring harness that you can hook the remote turn on up to.It has yellow black and orange I think it is the yellow wire. :D

For grounding the best place would be the frame. There is a screw that you can ground it to between the back center compartment and the driver back compartment.

Good luck on your install
Old 09-03-2001, 07:19 PM
mitchmark
Instructor

Default Re: C5?HELP! How do I wire the power supply to an aftermarket Amp? (rzuff)

:D Thanks rzuff, for all of your excellent help. I just finished putting in my sub and amp without a hitch. Your information on how to run the power supply through the firewall was right on the mark. In fact, like you mentioned, it was probably one of the easiest installs I have done for a long time. Once the console is out of the way, it was a breeze. I also used your advise on the ground wire location as well. I hope this post helps others who were also interested. Normally I just jump right in to past installs, but when it comes to this car, I want to make sure everything is correct before moving forward. Thanks again .... Mark
Old 09-03-2001, 07:21 PM
mitchmark
Instructor

Default Re: C5?HELP! How do I wire the power supply to an aftermarket Amp? (WhitneyR)

WhitneyR, If you follow the information that rzuff posted on this thread, you'll have not problem. I just finished mine and it works great.

Good luck in your install.
:cool:

Get notified of new replies

To C5?HELP! How do I wire the power supply to an aftermarket Amp?

Quick Reply: C5?HELP! How do I wire the power supply to an aftermarket Amp?