Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

MP3 CD Skips

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 08:47 AM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'11-'12

Default MP3 CD Skips

My NAV unit is having problems skipping or jumping to the next song on MP3 disks only, regardless of brand, encoding or burn. The same cds that skip in my NAV unit play fine in the non-NAV players. Regular music cds play fine. My car is an 06 built in February. Only coincidence I can see, is it seems to happen much more frequently if the NAV dvd is in.

Has anyone seen anything similar?
Old 07-18-2006, 08:57 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Craigster05
My NAV unit is having problems skipping or jumping to the next song on MP3 disks only, regardless of brand, encoding or burn. The same cds that skip in my NAV unit play fine in the non-NAV players. Regular music cds play fine. My car is an 06 built in February. Only coincidence I can see, is it seems to happen much more frequently if the NAV dvd is in.

Has anyone seen anything similar?

Yeah, I've seen/heard this too, though it is strictly moving on to the next track, not skipping within the song. I haven't messed with it yet, but I remember seeing in the big thread in General about buring CD's for it that you needed to use a certain style of MP3 tag/iden or the unit gets "confused." I'll have to go back and see if I can dig that up.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:02 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

OK, that didn't take long.

From this thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...46&postcount=1

Also - one final thing I did before burning the CD - I selected ALL the songs in the project, then RIGHT CLICK, then CONVERT ID tags and selected Version 1.0
Old 07-18-2006, 09:12 AM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks, but that is not it. Everything is fine with the tags, format, media. The discs play fine in other c6s, just not in mine. It seems to happen most when the NAV dvd is working at the same time. I have an older NAV dvd version, Im wondering if that has something to do with it.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:24 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Craigster05
Thanks, but that is not it. Everything is fine with the tags, format, media. The discs play fine in other c6s, just not in mine. It seems to happen most when the NAV dvd is working at the same time. I have an older NAV dvd version, Im wondering if that has something to do with it.
I've lost track at this point... I know there was a newer firmware for the NAV system, but that might have been the one in order to play MP3's at all, which then obviously you have it. Or I may be getting the base model radio mixed up. I think there were some CD images out there for the firmware if you still have the original version.

Sorry I couldn't help out more than that.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:14 AM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for trying, I appreciate it.

My luck, its going to be a dealer issue...
Old 07-18-2006, 10:35 AM
DPG
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

try going to the dealer and having them replace your headunit with a newer one
Old 07-19-2006, 01:38 PM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Fixed!!! Found by accident...

Believe it or not, it was the NAV DVD casuing the issue. I dont use the NAV all that much, but last night I tried to use it, and it was acting funny. I couldnt change routes, if I veered off the programed route, it didnt automatically recalculate the way it should. I tried to eject the dvd and it took about 5 min, but finally came out. There was a small dimple in the dvd that must have been causing read errors.

With the DVD out of the player,the MP3 cds no longer skip or jump songs. I guess there must be something in the chipset of the player where one drive malfunctioning can affect the other. That might also explain why my discs were working in a friends non-nav c6. I played 3 different MP3 cds over 4 hours between yesterday and today with no problems. I put the NAV dvd back in, the player started to skip again. I removed it, and I put in a backup copy of a NAV dvd that I burnt when I first got the car, and now all seems well.

Weird...but what the heck, it works fine now. Hope this helps someone else from banging there head like I did.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:01 AM
c152pilot
Advanced

I have been having the same problem with my 2006 NAV system. Thanks for solving the problem : )
Old 01-28-2012, 03:02 PM
vette4jr
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I have found that CDs with MP3s burned on to them using the recommended method work fine when the Navigation mode is off/not active. however, once you hit the "Agree" button to activate Navigation, if you are playing CDs with MP3s on them, in about 15-20 minutes, the song will stop after about 2 minutes into that song....and go to the next song.

It seems that using navigation mode causes the firmware or chipset to not operate correctly. If you open up the NAV screen when MP3s are playing, and Navigation active, the back side of the unit will feel extremely hot! Hotter than any other combination of modes of NAV / music.

i'm guessing the chipset is getting too hot, and the heat buildup is causing a hardware issue that results in this behavior.

Get notified of new replies

To MP3 CD Skips

Quick Reply: MP3 CD Skips