Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

C5 Antenna

Old 09-06-2001, 03:38 PM
98WS6
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5 Antenna

I just became the lucky owner of a 2002 C5 Coupe and I just wanted to know if there was any trick to the diversity antenna? I haven't been behind the radio yet, but I want to know before I go and buy an aftermarket radio.

Is there a black box required or is it just a standard antenna jack that any radio will work with?

Thanks
Old 09-07-2001, 09:39 PM
99HT
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: C5 Antenna (98WS6)

If you have a coupe, there are two external modules that the two antennas feed before going to the head unit. The rear antenna goes through the Antenna Buffer Module (ABM). The output of the ABM and the front antenna both feed the Radio Antenna Module (RAM). The output of the RAM goes to the head unit. The RAM is basically a switch which is controlled by the head unit ARS signal. The RAM also get fed switched 12 volts. This is a antenna diversity system. The antenna with the best reception is supposed to be switched in line.

If you just unhook the antenna from the back of the HU, I am not sure what antenna, front or rear is now switched in line. Since you have no ARS signal or switched +12 feeding the AMB and RAM, the signal out of the antenna system may be weakened.

The antenna connector is a miniature one. You may need an adapter pigtail to feed your new HU.

Old 09-09-2001, 06:16 PM
decay
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Default Re: C5 Antenna (99HT)

I had been wondering about this issue. My reception of some stations is really bad. I'm wondering if my Alpine is not getting the right antenna. Is there any way to check this?

Old 09-09-2001, 09:22 PM
99HT
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: C5 Antenna (decay)

You would need to experiment hooking up +12 volts to the two RAM control inputs, ARS and Switched Power. I believe the RAM module is behind the drivers seat. The ABM is mounted near the rear window antenna under the headliner. If you unplug the two antennas from the RAM, you will be able to tell what voltage, ground or +12, on the ARS input selects the front versus rear antenna.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Antenna

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5 Antenna