Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone installed SIR-GM1 in non-XM Bose in C6?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 10:12 AM
txjeep
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone installed SIR-GM1 in non-XM Bose in C6?

I am considering installing the SIR-GM1 in my C6 (Bose w/no XM), but wanted to ask if anyone here has done this successfully with the same OEM setup. If you have, please post how it went and where you put the tuner and mounted the antenna. I don't have the XM tuner, so I am pretty sure the HU has to come out and the tuner has to go up front somewhere.

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2006, 12:12 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by txjeep
I am considering installing the SIR-GM1 in my C6 (Bose w/no XM), but wanted to ask if anyone here has done this successfully with the same OEM setup. If you have, please post how it went and where you put the tuner and mounted the antenna. I don't have the XM tuner, so I am pretty sure the HU has to come out and the tuner has to go up front somewhere.

Thanks!
Sorry, I've only done this in a car that already had XM, but something else to consider is if you may have to have the dealer program the radio to look at the "XM" input. I'm not sure if it's a function that appears when there's input or if the radio has to be reprogrammed to turn that function on.

You may want to peel the carpet back over the left rear wheel and take a peak back there. That's where the tuner gets installed. Some harnesses get run in all cars, regardless of what options they may have. I do not know if the XM wiring and antenna are like that but it's certainly worth the 15 seconds to pull the carpet back!
Old 10-04-2006, 12:23 PM
txjeep
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you. This dealer programming possibility is exactly the type of thing I am trying to uncover before starting the project. If anyone here has done this and can clue me in, I would appreciate it.

I'll also take a look under the carpet and see what is there. Thanks for the tip. I know there is no XM antenna though. Mine is a 2005 and has no giant wart on the roof!
Old 10-04-2006, 02:31 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by txjeep
Thank you. This dealer programming possibility is exactly the type of thing I am trying to uncover before starting the project. If anyone here has done this and can clue me in, I would appreciate it.

I'll also take a look under the carpet and see what is there. Thanks for the tip. I know there is no XM antenna though. Mine is a 2005 and has no giant wart on the roof!
Well that makes it pretty obvious there's no antenna!

Somebody here was able to use an iPod adapter,the Nucleus I think it was, on his unit and he didn't have XM. I think he had to get a different/extra wiring harness from Nucleus. That should mean that reprogramming isn't necessary, but that's a couple of assumptions along the way. You might want to see if you can find that thread using Search.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone installed SIR-GM1 in non-XM Bose in C6?

Quick Reply: Anyone installed SIR-GM1 in non-XM Bose in C6?